When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Last piece of a 16520 puzzle is here

Guest Sql_pl

Finally after 8 months I received last piece of my 16520 puzzle :)

An hour wheel.

So here is how the set looks like today:

89128067kp4.jpg

45083300vz4.jpg

88357784ix4.jpg

80381519fy4.jpg

68546214dp9.jpg

Today it starts its journey to Germany where one of great members of our community will assemble it for me! I could not find anyone able or willing to do so (especially in EU as it would not be clever to ship it outside EU for obvious reasons) for a long time and then it turned out we have some well talented and what is most important helpful members here!

Can't wait to get it back and put it on my wrist! Maybe it will be back in time to wear it at christmas eve? :rolleyes::)

Thanks

Maciekl

Randy when I look at your pics I go crazy - it is so hard to decide which dial looks better. I always thought black - now that I have black one here I can't stop thinking about a white one. Maybe I will build one more down the road - a white for my gf :)

Randy when I look at your pics I go crazy - it is so hard to decide which dial looks better. I always thought black - now that I have black one here I can't stop thinking about a white one. Maybe I will build one more down the road - a white for my gf :)

Mac-

Speaking from my own personal experience, I think having one white and one black is the perfect balance! They both go well with any occassion and it's a nice subtle change for the days when you want something just a little different. The only downside is trying to decide which to wear at times :) I think I find myself wearing the white one the most- Maybe a 60/40 split. The white dial is so crisp and clean and I prefer it due to the minimal amount of crystal reflection from the dial. With all the subdials, hands, text etc. the black dial tends to throw back a lot of reflection, which then reflects off the crystal and back onto the dial, and I constantly find myself wiping down the crystal as in my mind it looks dirty (when really it's just the dial casting reflections). A bit hard to explain, but you'll probably know what I mean when you have yours on in the sunlight.

Besides... With both, you can go Maradonna style!

220_2095.jpg

220_2098.jpg

First I tried to source Rolex hour whel as I already have a Rolex Canon Pinion.

I got a part number for the hour wheel but when ordered got the container that was not sealed - with correct part no on it but not correct part inide.

So there are 2 options. Part Number was wrong and I got correct part in unsealed container. Or I got good container with wrong part inside. Anyway it is extremely hard to get such small part for this specific rolex movement so did not want to loose another 3 or 4 moths trying to find out what went wrong.

My ebel 134 came with no hour wheel so I ordered and received a zenith hour wheel for cal 400.

Now it can all be assembled using the squeezing method to install hands. Tried to do it differently with gen parts but now I guess this is the best way to go.

It is very nice one. I always want a real daytona but i can't afford the price tag. It is a beautiful piece i must say and congratulation Merciek.

Looking at Randy's pictures i would think the white one looks classier in my opion.

But the cost of 6.5k is the bit too high consider it is still a replica (franken), how much would it cost for the real thing?

I though you can get a second hand daytona for around that much from bernardwatch.com.

dvn- For a while there, the prices for a gen 16520 were starting at around $11k - $12k and up to around the $50k - even the $80k range depending on the flavor of dial/metal variation/rarity (i.e. porcelan, floating, patrizzi, A/P serials etc). These days, prices have come down a bit, but I think full package rare examples still pull in a fair figure; standard models not quite so much.

As for dial choice- White is definitely a little more formal, with black being a little more sporty (in my opinion). Both are quite versatile...

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

:)

Rolex replaces the hour/minute/center secs/subsidiary pinions with their own proprietary parts. Hence, Daytona hands are not a direct fit to the standard EP400 pinions.

Thanks for illuminating my mind..however, i still dont really have a full grasp on what you mean...how to source for said pinions? Dont know what they are but shall google them!

What it is, is that your amazing projects have piqued my curiousity and i'm really contemplating the starting of one such project! But being a beginner to the mods game, i'm really just wading thru the darkness..but thank goodness there's edge's tutorials, your invaluable posts to start one off...

I've a gen TT rolie zenith daytona; but goddamn..it's so romantic to make one of yr own!!! How i wish i cld pay you tuition fees so you cld teach me, Mr Miyagi!

But the cost of 6.5k is the bit too high consider it is still a replica (franken), how much would it cost for the real thing?

I though you can get a second hand daytona for around that much from bernardwatch.com.

As has been suggested, 'rolling your own' adds a value that does not easily translate into a dollar figure. On the other hand, a quick perusal of 16520s for sale on TZ shows a current average asking price of $10k-$11k for a 16520 in excellent condition (some with box & papers).

I am pleased that your hunting is over and I look forward to seeing the assembled piece. As I have said before, I think you will get much more pleasure from having put the effort into researching and sourcing the parts etc etc than merely going to a dealer and buying a gen piece. Enjoy wear it well and embark on your next project.

I agree that $6.5 k is quite a lot.

When I hit some bumps on the way, while getting parts sometimes I found myself thinking that I could have put the money into other direction like getting gen submariner and speedmaster for example. But then I came to conclusion - okay, submariner, speedmaster... well they are great watches, classics but they do not really do it for me. PAM 111, 112, 088, 196? Nice watches, would be fun to have them as gens but with our reps so close not worth it. And once again - nice watches but they do not gve me that feeling somehow. I wanted to have a daytona for as long as I can remember. It was my real grail watch.

Daytona is something special. It is really THE WATCH to own.

And with this project that consists of virtually 100% gen parts (everything apart from movement is gen rolex) I am so close that I find it close enough.

You say one can get gen for 11k, 12k. Well last time I checked difference between 6.5k and even 11k was still quite some money saved. I know that my watch won't be genuine but I actually feel it is a good investment. Rolex parts get more expensive every day now. I am sure if I needed to sell I would find a buyer for my watch once it is completed for a fair price and if not - I can always dismantle it and get all my money back selling parts.

That's my point of view.

Can't wait to see the finished watch. I hope I will love it. We will see. I am sure it was money well spent.

Oh and one more thing - when I was buying all most expensive parts dollar was weak... it was only 2 pln (polish currency) for 1 usd

Now it is 3 pln.

So if I'd sell all the parts or completed watch for what I paid I'd still get 150% back :)

Fantastic my friend. I do feel though that you will be very, very dissapointed when it comes back complete and will feel compelled to sell it to me to ease your suffering!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:)

When I decide to sell - I will surely let you know. :)

I have bought one nice Daytona from you in the past, maybe it is your turn now ^_^:)

Hi Maciekl,

Congratulations to you for reaching the final stage of assembly.

It is amazing that you got the gen. Daytona case which is almost impossible to get.

Since it is necessary to move the date function of the cal.400 in order for the set up to fit into the case, can you share some info. on how and what are parts on the 400 are needed to be taken out? Thsi would be very helpful for all the 16520 franken building planners.

Cheers.