When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 Deep Sea

lanikai

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of getting the cheaper movement since I have the same swiss movement (only) and would swap it. I wonder if the swiss mvmnt will fit the case with the cheaper movement. Their supposed to be the same but placement of the hands, etc. might be different?

In the past, hand size and dial posts for the movement are different on the 2. As well, the date progresses differently on the ETA movements compared to the DG2813...so it's bit more involved than you would think to go from Asian to Swiss.

haha... I am at the Coffee Shop .. upstairs in ma private loft... B) .. the owner let's me in early.. it's 7am and I have already been at it since 12 am .. so although it's morning here.. it's really my afternoon.. now you know why I can be a little punchy when I get home ... taking my folks to our bi~weekly Lunch.. makes Mom Happy ... so I will start on the macro's today ... later... and I have to look at the genuine pics you pm'd me .. you are now a "contributor" to the review.. anyone else want to contibute to our second "community review" Mahler has the genuine measurements.. although he is indisposed ..

Storm is due to hit tomorrow.. but it will be business as usual in the tropical storm.. B)

Yay.....contributor....has a good ring to it :p do I get a prize now? ;)

Just about to order my V3 from Josh.....Christmas present to myself.

In the past, hand size and dial posts for the movement are different on the 2. As well, the date progresses differently on the ETA movements compared to the DG2813...so it's bit more involved than you would think to go from Asian to Swiss.

Thanks TD, that is my suspicion as well. Funny thing is that the cheaper asian mvmnt's have been more reliable for me than the "Swiss".

I'll mess with it when it comes and will see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

Well.. seeing that everyone is already decided .. I need not post the macro review... :) ...

kidding :D

This piece was by far the hardest to shoot.. because of the crystal.. I cannot get a clean shot.. the crystal dissolves like liquid in the image..

over 100 shots of everything.. no way I can finish it today.. I just finished with the images .. and since the Nikon is a gazillion pixels it takes forever to upload.. so whilst I'm working on the review.. along with co-authors ... I will leave one image here.. that I know everyone is dying for..and will probably skip everything to look at this first..

Ok.. give me a minute and I will leave a couple images ..hold 1 ..

Blue Eye's ... baby's got Blue Eye's.. blue eye's crying in the rain.. :whistling:

Yes.. gentlemen.. it is blue.. but I will attempt to explain the charging aspect of the colours..

This is under 1 second exposure time.. the colours have not been enhanced as you can see by the surrounding colours on the case.. I actually added some orange so not to make the image too "vivid" .. no slight of hand hea.. B) .. it is what it is..

deepsearolex088sa8.jpg

deepsearolex093vd3.jpg

deepsearolex091vm3.jpg

OK.. the lume is a gorgeous Blue !!.. however.. this is the synopsis :.. yesterday when I first opened the box.. my first thought was of course the lume.. so I exposed it to indirect sunlight.. and saw a faint hint of blue.. "great"..

Last night while getting ready to sleep I took a halogen flash light and pressed it up against the dial.. BAM..... GREEN.. WTF... I know I saw blue today .. I tell myself :huh:

then watching it .. slowly turn aqua.. then blue ... did it again.. and again bright green then slowly turn blue.. this time the hands were blue the whole time .. Ok .. thinking out loud... there is green in the colour blue.. so the lume must be bringing out the green .. maybe it's the way the combined the lume.. dunno.. today whilst driving home.. again indirect sunlight.. entered the Pali Tunnel.. ahhhhh... smile.. smile.. blue all the way..

So my theory is .. simple.. it needs charging for a couple of day's after it is out of the dark cave of a box.. don't freak out.. the green in the blue will show.. and when the lume is all ready.. the blue will be dominant..am I making any sense ?? B)

Guys,

i been around here long enough that i can say this without people thinking im a party pooper. And this coming from a Rolex fan boy so here it goes...

Rethink your decision about this rep wisely, reason i say so has nothing to do with the quality of the replication but with pure design of this piece more to the point the weight and the thickness of this particular watch.

I handled the gen a few months back at the AD and found it absolutely unwearable for me that is! The share weight and thickness is extremely uncomfortable to wear ad will bring all sorta problems... watch will constantly remind u its on ure wrist also it moves around all the time so either u strap it down and make it uncomfortable or manage with the constant wrist dance.

People who are used to watches on bracelets size of SA or AS from Breitling will be maybe the folks that can wear this on permanent basis for the other people think again. If some of you track also gen forums you will see that a lot of this watches are sold in first month since the owners simply cant get used to sheer bulk and pass them on.

Oka on the other hand this purchase will not burn a hole in ure wallet like the gen but still U HAVE BEEN WARNED :)

Hope someone don't take this post negatively but more as an informational one.

Kind regards Laz

It all depends on the asian used if it is an asian 2836/24 copy then the swap will be straight forward like for sale by Pure time here but if you chose the 2813 very cheep option then the swap will cost you more than you saved as you will need to get new hands and reposition the dial feet, even if you get a problematic asain 2836 a service will solve almost any problem.

I am sure this is apparent to the older members, like toadtorrent bur the newer ones may be getting confused with the new asian 2836 ect.

Laz-

Thanks for the warning. I have to agree that this is not a watch for long-time Rolex wearers. It is a watch for those who used to wear Rolex and then got used to Panerai, Breitling, etc. and whose Rolex collection no longer get any where time. ;) As a big watch wearer, I will say it is the first gen rolex I have considered buying in a number of years. I too see that the general Rolex community has already rejected it. They now come up well below cost all the time on TZ and watchnet.

- Kruz

I must agree with this size issue - I'm used to big watches as a regular IWC BP wearer - and I have a Deepsea on order at my AD, but having tried the gen on, I just think it is bordering on too bulky. Note I say bulky rather than big. On paper, the BP is a bigger watch, but somehow the DSSD wears like it is bigger - dunno - can't explain it. :unsure:

I'm going to go for one of these reps for sure, but doubt I'll take the plunge for the gen when it arrives - apart from the price in the current economic climate, I just don't think I'd end up wearing/loving it enough to justify the price.

I too see that the general Rolex community has already rejected it. They now come up well below cost all the time on TZ and watchnet.

While I agree completely that alot of initial Deepsea buyers are now having buyer's remorse & selling their watches, I think that many of the about-faces (as were many original Deepsea purchases) on TZ were a direct result of Dowling's recent, long-awaited FINAL review of the Deepsea, wherein he said 'the watch is not for me'.

This is a "working timepiece for funtion".. and for that I agree with Laz .. no arguing that he is a Rolex man through and through :)

As I stated .. IMO this is off the normal track for Rolex.. it's like Porsche going to water cooled engines.. the reason being that they just could not keep up with Ferrari and others staying with the Air Cooled Engine .. funtion beat out tradition..

And as Kruzer mentioned the Pams... if you definately do not care for the feel of the Submersibles .. then this one may not be for you.. although IMO it wears comfortably given the height and weight of the case .. it is meant to be worn over a dive suit .. ergo the ratchedt adjustable clasp .. which I find very convenient in that you can adjust it wilst on your wrist and at smaller increments than a strap.. so for wrist that are just in between sizes the clasp is great..

so this is not one you would wear on a daily basis or to the Office per say..

So if you cannot wear the larger Breitlings or thicker cases then think hard about this watch.. as for myself.. I like the history as much as the brand.. of course they are one in the same ... but I like the sports watches to begin with.

It is a rather heavy watch .. it is to me top heavy but with adequate balance..

I'll be sure to post both pro's and con's in the review..

It all depends on the asian used if it is an asian 2836/24 copy then the swap will be straight forward like for sale by Pure time here but if you chose the 2813 very cheep option then the swap will cost you more than you saved as you will need to get new hands and reposition the dial feet, even if you get a problematic asain 2836 a service will solve almost any problem.

I am sure this is apparent to the older members, like toadtorrent bur the newer ones may be getting confused with the new asian 2836 ect.

Thanks for that...yeah...I was making a big assumption there about the super cheap one...and not the Asian copy of the 2836. I was going to clarify that but you beat me to the punch. ;)

As much as I'm all for Swiss powered watches, for this thing, I'm thinking of the El Cheapo DG2813 for $148 (or something like that I remember seeing...someone can correct me on this). At less than 50% of the Swiss engined counterpart...it is highly disposable. Swap in a $20 CDN DG4813 and you are set. It would take 10 movement swaps almost (assuming you do them yourself) to equal the price of the Swiss version.

Rethink your decision about this rep wisely, reason i say so has nothing to do with the quality of the replication but with pure design of this piece more to the point the weight and the thickness of this particular watch....or manage with the constant wrist dance.

People who are used to watches on bracelets size of SA or AS from Breitling will be maybe the folks that can wear this on permanent basis for the other people think again. If some of you track also gen forums you will see that a lot of this watches are sold in first month since the owners simply cant get used to sheer bulk and pass them on.

Oka on the other hand this purchase will not burn a hole in ure wallet like the gen but still U HAVE BEEN WARNED :)

I was just thinking these exact same thoughts. The diameter is not too bad at around 43mm...but the thickness is about the same as the Skyland and the Super Avenger which in reality...is thick. I have skinny wrists, but fairly large arms so I usually have to wear these kinds of watches close to the smallest they go and in spite of this don't feel they look grossly large on my skinny wrists.

I would agree that if you had second thoughts about the size of the Skyland...this one might not be for you.

Laz cools not describe it better.

I have the same opinion on this watch.

Ok I like the blue Lume, but the height of this watch

Is really too much, not really wearable.

I think the bracelet must be 22mm on a big watch

like the deepsea.

Not a watch for me and you all know I'm a real a Rolex Fan

The design of the newer Modells is also not my taste.

But hey if you like it it's great ;)