When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brain Teaser Game!

cornerstone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honor/Honour

Color/Colour

Center/Centre

...and the famous Pugwash does it again...

:thumbsupsmileyanim: CORRECT ANSWER :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Since Mr. Smith was born and raised in the U.S., he would not have spelled the words "HONOUR", "CENTRE", and "COLOUR" as they appeared in the note, since this is the British way of spelling these words. An American would have written: "HONOR", "CENTER", and "COLOR".

Mmmhhh, where is the quizmaster ???

Until he comes back one more from me...

Mr. Becker volunteered to be the chief organizer for the world's table tennis championships. There were 775 contestants from all over the world. The tournament was set up whereby the winner would advance and the loser would be eliminated. Since there was an odd number of participants, the initial pairing leaves one player out. That player gets a bye and automatically advances to the next round. How many matches will Mr. Becker have to schedule to determine the table tennis champion?

...and the famous Pugwash does it again...

:thumbsupsmileyanim: CORRECT ANSWER :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Since Mr. Smith was born and raised in the U.S., he would not have spelled the words "HONOUR", "CENTRE", and "COLOUR" as they appeared in the note, since this is the British way of spelling these words. An American would have written: "HONOR", "CENTER", and "COLOR".

Until he comes back one more from me...

Mr. Becker volunteered to be the chief organizer for the world's table tennis championships. There were 775 contestants from all over the world. The tournament was set up whereby the winner would advance and the loser would be eliminated. Since there was an odd number of participants, the initial pairing leaves one player out. That player gets a bye and automatically advances to the next round. How many matches will Mr. Becker have to schedule to determine the table tennis champion?

Working... :( (Huge deadline at the end of August :black_eye: )

But until then - question time! :yeah:

Justin Summers walks up and down a hill which is 6 km for a round trip. His dog being slower, walks at half the speed. When Justin reaches the top of the hill he turns around and walks down meeting his dog part way. Justin continues walking to the bottom of the hill at the same speed. The dog follows him, also maintaining his original speed. How far does the dog walk? :g:

Assuming standard knockout. In the first round, if you have 775 players, you would be giving 249 players a bye in the first round, not one. This gives you a total of ten rounds.

However, if you're playing Swiss-pairings with a final top-8 knockout, you'd give one player a bye and still play 10 rounds, three of which will be seeded knockout, giving a much fairer qualification system. I'd go to 8 rounds of Swiss though, with a cut at 6 rounds, possibly playing the last two rounds and the knockout on day two.

The only problem is that if blue/white lock decks are in fashion, you're going to have to be very strict on the time-limit and you'd need one head-judge and something daft like a minimum of 12 floor judges, not assuming breaks. I'd be happy with one level three as head judge, 8 level twos and 16 level one judges and apprentices.

Oh, hang on, you said table tennis? Sorry, I thought you said Magic: The Gathering.

Did not confirm yet that this was probably RIGHT ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Your question, you award the winner!!

When I first read that question I started totting up rounds, until I realised that it was matches.

Today is red day, obviously :animal_rooster:

Suppose there is a river that has no current. Buck Shot got into his canoe and paddled upstream from his dock to the river's bend five km away. At that point he turned around and paddled back to his dock. He checked his watch and saw that the trip took 40 minutes. Now, suppose the river has a current of two km per hour, and Buck makes exactly the same trip. With the river flowing at two km per hour, will the trip be longer than 40 minutes, shorter than 40 minutes, or will it take the same amount of time? :brow:

Actually Mr. Becker would only have to schedule one match to determine the WINNER, because ONLY the FINAL determines the WINNER.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Suppose there is a river that has no current. Buck Shot got into his canoe and paddled upstream from his dock to the river's bend five km away. At that point he turned around and paddled back to his dock. He checked his watch and saw that the trip took 40 minutes. Now, suppose the river has a current of two km per hour, and Buck makes exactly the same trip. With the river flowing at two km per hour, will the trip be longer than 40 minutes, shorter than 40 minutes, or will it take the same amount of time? :brow:

Logic says that the outgoing and return journeys should cancel out, as the current will be beneficial one way and detrimental the other. However having done similar in reality it takes longer to go against the current, than you make up with it.

My answer though is, The Same.

Your question, you award the winner!!

When I first read that question I started totting up rounds, until I realised that it was matches.

Today is red day, obviously :animal_rooster:

Longer. Total time is 40 min 43.891 sec measured by $50 SEIKO Chrono Quartz. :whistling:

Longer. Total time is 40 min 43.891 sec measured by $50 SEIKO Chrono Quartz. :whistling:

WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That wasn't an easy one, so kudos! I think the time he saves going faster downstream doesn't compensate for the extra time he spent going slower upstream.

Picture a litre of milk and a litre of Sangria. A cup of Sangria is poured into the milk and mixed thoroughly. Then, a cup of this mixture is poured back into the Sangria. Is the amount of Sangria now in the milk more, less, or the same as the amount of milk in Sangria? :g:

Wots Sangria? :blink:

Ken

Don´t let that read the Spanish Members around here Ken. :whistling:

It´s a kind of national - drink in Spain ( especially for the dumb german tourists ) and it´s based on red wine. So if anybody mixed it with milk it would be not really drinkable anymore...

Anyway, this one is not easy but I guess if you ask for the amount of milk in Sangria it´s more milk, because there was no milk in the Sangria before. Same for the milk, there hasn´t been Sangria in the milk before.

I would say the amount of Sangria in the milk is higher than vice versa. But in the end we have again two litres of liquid so the total amount of liquid stays the same.

Edited by melvin.x