When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Windsor Knot

TeeJay

According to James Bond, the Windsor knot was the mark of a cad. I've heard a few people make disparaging comments about people wearing their ties with a Windsor knot, but, everything I read about being 'properly dressed' for formal situations, suggests that the Windsor knot, is the correct knot to use, and has been described thus:

Windsor Knot

The Windsor Knot is a thick, wide and triangular tie knot that projects confidence. It would therefore be your knot of choice for presentations, job interviews, courtroom appearances etc. It is best suited for spread collar shirts and it's actually quite easy to do.

While just about everyone can use this tie knot to tie his tie, it looks especially well on men with longer necks as its wide form shortens the perceived height of the neck a little bit.

What do folks think? Yes, this is something I'm planning on wearing for my wedding :lol:

The Windsor Knot is a thick, wide and triangular tie knot that projects confidence. It would therefore be your knot of choice for presentations, job interviews, courtroom appearances etc. It is best suited for spread collar shirts and it's actually quite easy to do.

I may be wrong, but I think the Windsor knot is quite a slim knot. It's the double Windsor that adds width and more of an equilateral triangle shape to the knot. I always wear a double Windsor, but not so lose and wide so that it looks like I'm wearing some kind of Samosa bowtie.

It depends on your build. My neck is a 16, but pretty long and I have that kind of lean, longish body that lends itself well to slim suits with flat front trousers like Armani, etc. So for me a Windsor or double Windsor is all I wear on the rare occasion I have a tie on. The idea is that the big knot shortens the neck and blends the shirt into the jacket perfect. My neck is wider at the base and is a bit longish and gets slimmer closer to my head.

But if you have a husky build usually it is best to try and blance out the other way. Rounder or thicker guys look better with suits that aren't so form fit like a lot of stuff from Canali, Boss, etc. Pleated trousers have a slimming effect on bigger guys too where the flat fronts can sometimes over exagerate bulk in the thighs if the waist fits right. And as for the knot, a slimmer not trims the neck down and blends it into the shirt and jacket better for that build.

It is also worth considering whether the suit is a 2-button or 3-button. Only the tallest guys ever look good in 3-buttons IMO. They just look too boxy and don't show enough shirt. Besides, the 3-button fashion fad is kind of past its prime anyway. It is also of note that 2-buttons are always dressier and a bit more formal - like a Tux. All tux jackets are 2-button never three. I say all this about the buttons because depending on which side of the fence you fall on, the Windsor can really be a disaster with a 3-button jacket if you are a husky build guy.

I'm not clothing expert but I have an edge. LOL. The edge is I have always liked fine tailored clothing and due to some health problems earlier in my life I have been as little as 130 and as much as 205 lbs at 5'9". My opinions were formed from noticeing how my weight changed what looked good on me in terms of brand, flat vs. pleats, two vs. three, and the type of knot that looks best. Hope this helps, but let me know what you are thinking for a suit and what your build is and maybe I can help steer you in the proper direction. You can never trust store attendants either usually. They only know the brand they sell by name and usually have no idea how to put things together for your body type. Maybe my trial and error can save you some time...

According to James Bond, the Windsor knot was the mark of a cad. I've heard a few people make disparaging comments about people wearing their ties with a Windsor knot, but, everything I read about being 'properly dressed' for formal situations, suggests that the Windsor knot, is the correct knot to use, and has been described thus:

Windsor Knot

While just about everyone can use this tie knot to tie his tie, it looks especially well on men with longer necks as its wide form shortens the perceived height of the neck a little bit.

What do folks think? Yes, this is something I'm planning on wearing for my wedding :lol:

I found these for you as well TJ. Two Armani suits for illustration - one 2-buton and one 3-button. Notice how much the shape and size of knot can impact the look of a suit. These pics are from a wholesaler so the tie choices are not important - just the imagination really. A bigger knot belongs on the 2-button for balance and a thinner knot belongs on the 3-button. The small "shirt" area doesn't want to be filled with a giant knot on the 3-button - and also you can see what I mean in how all but the lankiest guy is going to look like the Pilsbury Dough Boy in that with or without the big knot. LOL. Meanwhile a skinny guy and a skinny knot in the 2-button will be ready to tour with Duran Duran so that is no good either, even though the 2-button will be more formal with the right choices. Tricky stuff sometimes all this - and you only get married once (hopefully) so you have to give it some thought...

prodImage.jpg

P10874037.jpg

It all depends on the cut of the shirt collar...namely the spread between the points. Wider collars generally require a wider knot, so a Windsor or double knot or whatever are often more appropriate. Which shirt to wear depends on the suit and your build.

Don Cheery a famous Hockey Commentator in Canada wore ridiculously high collars that had very little spread...so he had to use a narrow knot. A lot of modern British style dress shirts use a wider spread on a shorter collar...

Yes, I've always used the 4 in hand or the Half Windsor...the full Windsor was always to huge for me. But, the two styles I use are the most accepted as appropriate around here.

However, you're taking this from a southern guy that wears bow ties, seersucker suits, and saddle oxford or white Exeter bucks. By the way, the easiest tie to tie would be the bow tie. Takes about 2 seconds.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/TieKnots/bowtie.tem

:euro:

I'm sorry, but a bow tie makes you look like a complete retard. I mean seriously it makes you look like Karlsson-on-the-Roof (you know, the little guy that has a propeller on his hat)

Definitely not my style. I always wonder. But hey, other people wonder why I wear torn A&F jeans (hint: because it makes me look mofoin cool and the girls digg it, and as long as it gets me poon, i wear it)

Edited by slay

So true. I forgot about the collar beofre with all the rest of the stuff. One more variable to factor in. The bottom line is it ain't just the knot...

It all depends on the cut of the shirt collar...namely the spread between the points. Wider collars generally require a wider knot, so a Windsor or double knot or whatever are often more appropriate. Which shirt to wear depends on the suit and your build.

Don Cheery a famous Hockey Commentator in Canada wore ridiculously high collars that had very little spread...so he had to use a narrow knot. A lot of modern British style dress shirts use a wider spread on a shorter collar...

Thanks for the replies folks, I think the knot I'm thinking of, is actually the Double Windsor, but the page identified it only as a 'Windsor knot'... Aesthetically, it's the right tie for everything, I was just curious if there was some kind stigma attached to the tie, or if indeed it was just Bond's personal prejudice :lol:

I found these for you as well TJ. Two Armani suits for illustration - one 2-buton and one 3-button. Notice how much the shape and size of knot can impact the look of a suit. These pics are from a wholesaler so the tie choices are not important - just the imagination really. A bigger knot belongs on the 2-button for balance and a thinner knot belongs on the 3-button. The small "shirt" area doesn't want to be filled with a giant knot on the 3-button - and also you can see what I mean in how all but the lankiest guy is going to look like the Pilsbury Dough Boy in that with or without the big knot. LOL. Meanwhile a skinny guy and a skinny knot in the 2-button will be ready to tour with Duran Duran so that is no good either, even though the 2-button will be more formal with the right choices. Tricky stuff sometimes all this - and you only get married once (hopefully) so you have to give it some thought...

prodImage.jpg

P10874037.jpg

Thanks for the advice, bro, it's much appreciated :) The suit I'm going to be wearing is an off the rack 2 button clone of the Armani suit you've shown. Having spent on other things, I'm happy to go with a budget suit L( It's flat black, which will be going with a white shirt, with a faint pinstripe, and a deep scarlet tie. Infact, the suit and shirt are pretty much identical to these:

agent_47.jpg

And, strangely enough, that's the hairstyle I'll be going with as well ;)

Cool. No stigma really on the knot, other than that the Windsor is decidedly Brittish. The in style was also wide spread collars when the knot first came into use which fit the shirt. It is also good for formals as it is really symetrical and triangular - although the half Windsor is too and a bit smaller. So with a 2-button it is right with a spread collar shirt, but if the collar is tighter you might consider a Half Instead. Depending on your build a Half Windsor and more narrow collar coupled with the 2-button suit can make you look slimmer unless you are already slim and want to go the other way a bit. Bigger knots tend to balance out flat front trousers too. So do give those points some consideration. The full Windsor can look clunky with a more narrow collar so give that the most thought as well as the build stuff and then kind of average them all together...

Thanks for the replies folks, I think the knot I'm thinking of, is actually the Double Windsor, but the page identified it only as a 'Windsor knot'... Aesthetically, it's the right tie for everything, I was just curious if there was some kind stigma attached to the tie, or if indeed it was just Bond's personal prejudice :lol:

Thanks for the advice, bro, it's much appreciated :) The suit I'm going to be wearing is an off the rack 2 button clone of the Armani suit you've shown. Having spent on other things, I'm happy to go with a budget suit L( It's flat black, which will be going with a white shirt, with a faint pinstripe, and a deep scarlet tie. Infact, the suit and shirt are pretty much identical to these:

agent_47.jpg

And, strangely enough, that's the hairstyle I'll be going with as well ;)

Cool. No stigma really on the knot, other than that the Windsor is decidedly Brittish. The in style was also wide spread collars when the knot first came into use which fit the shirt. It is also good for formals as it is really symetrical and triangular - although the half Windsor is too and a bit smaller. So with a 2-button it is right with a spread collar shirt, but if the collar is tighter you might consider a Half Instead. Depending on your build a Half Windsor and more narrow collar coupled with the 2-button suit can make you look slimmer unless you are already slim and want to go the other way a bit. Bigger knots tend to balance out flat front trousers too. So do give those points some consideration. The full Windsor can look clunky with a more narrow collar so give that the most thought as well as the build stuff and then kind of average them all together...

Awesome :) I have to admit, I never really paid much attention to tie knots, but, since I found that list, I've noticed how much better a Windsor fills the collar area compared to smaller knots, so much so, that I now think a small knot doesn't really look 'up to the job' in a collar :)