When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Don't you feel a bit lonely with the hobby of ours?

Guest Sql_pl

Attending a number of family dinners over last couple of days has got me thinking.

How many members of your family/close friends are really interested in watches?

We've been sitting at the table today... some talk about normal things, family stuff, pets, food, cars and of course football.

There was a discussion about today's game - Manchester United vs... I don't even remember who as I am not into football at all...

So when the discussion started and I heard Manchester United - the first thing that came to my mind and that I felt like sharing was about Hublot and their new sponsorship contract, the new limited Big Bang watch etc etc.... but guess what? I did not say a word.. because I feel they would not really care. They would have no idea what Hublot is leave alone a Big Bang and what was changed in the MU limited version.

I suddenly started to feel very lonely in this hobby and with my interest.

If it wasn't for internet and our amazing forums it would be really hard to find a person to talk to about watches.

To be honest in my close surrounding there is only my father who is interested in this subject, my gf got a bit into it thatnks to me... maybe one or two friends who like nice watches but do not really have a clue about anything specific....

So thank you guys that you are here and that I can share my passion with you!

I find when i bring it up and talk about it for a minute, people are interested just because I know about it and most people don't . I told some friends from work that I am building a watch from parts bought on the internet and two guys brought it up again at two different times. some people find it more interesting than others, but once i get into it more than just "i have a cool watch" or "that guy has a nice watch" and my friends see that it's a hobby i know something about, theyre more than willing to chat about it, and like i said, some find it pretty cool

I think like anything, the interest is based on the knowledge of the others or in the case of watches - lack of knowledge.

I restore many old pocket watches, and once I am done I take them to work and share the results with my co-workers. I have been doing this for a number of years. I also research each pocket watch, and tell my co-workers a detailed account on the watch, it's quality, the history, etc. Although most of my co-workers used to care less about watches, now after my show and tell demontrations, they are very interested and I have also restored and brought back to life some of their old watches that they had handed down to them from family members. They then show their watches to friends and family, who in turn have old watches that they would like restored, and know the history on, etc...

So like anything, you have to generate an interest. You can do this by sharing your knowledge...

RG

Many times have i bored someone to tears passing on the latest horological news.

Likewise, when i spot something interesting in the wild, i have a need to tell someone, i suppose it's a similar drive to a cat showing a newly caught mouse to its owner, despite the owner having no interest at all.

I did notice a barman wearing a gold Rolex DJ yesterday, but i've kept that to myself, as i knew no one would understand the significance!

Yes I believe Ziggy nailed it (again :) ), to me the word you are after is not lonely but exclusive.

My friends will often remark how the notice every new watch I wear, but then they are all fully aware of my involvement with the replica forums.

If you want the interest factor within your circle you need to open up a bit and let them know of your acquired knowledge in watches, you will then become the go to man whenever there is a question on timepieces.

Ken

Sometimes I feel like a has-been movie star. You know... the kind that goes to the mall, hoping someone will notice them? Well, there are times that I wish someone would notice my watch, but nobody ever does. I'm coming to terms with it and I'm sure that eventually I won't even care (this is still rather new to me). I definitely appreciate this forum and the interest of fellow members.

Thanks M. for this thread.

I've met tons of people liking watches and wanting to buy a "premium one" :good:

But I discovered pretty fast that their premium was a Lotus or Rodania. (Typical advertised brands on TV at Xmas).

Most of the time, when I start to talk about "our hobby" I see a smile on their face.

They think "hey interresting".

But, very quickly, I have to skip to another topic as nobody really want to hear more, or simply has nothing to share on the subject.

It is a very frustrating hobby in fact :o

Only the closest friends of this community can share our passion.

But one thing is very positive: I made new friends out of this community and we're not only talking about watches! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers

Stephane

Its funny, this is obviously something we all think about haha

Looking at the bottom of this thread I see :

Krayfish, kenberg, Stephane, lanikai, southcoast68, Sql_pl, blue_sphere, szvwj, HaloArchive lurking and reading lol

My family really cant see the point in having more than one watch, they really cant.

But then I cant see the point in my wife having 18 bags in the top of her wardrobe that she never uses!

I love the mechanical engineering that goes into these tiny little engines, so detailed, and accurate, evolving all the time....

And no matter what anyone says, if your wearing a nice watch, then it can be an ice breaker too.

I'm not into a piece because of its face value, I have gens and reps, I like a watch that makes a statement and feels good on my wrist

the way others might think about shoes, or bags or whatever.

But yea.........I know what you mean.

The main reason I "cherish this community and all it entails"

I have tried in the past to talk to people about the watches they are wearing.. mostly vintage genuine models.. even a friend with a 1680 and 1665 that he bought almost in pristine condition some years ago.. he had no clue about the model number the history nor that it had apexi crystal .. he also collected a vintage 1675 that he explained as ,"it keeps, World time" .. well, but he had no interest in discussing the history nor anything other than he bought it as an investment from a couple of friends of ours that have since moved away.. he used to be into collecting those pens that were numbered and gave that up when another friend that owned the pen shop passed away.

there are other stories about friends with Panerais.. although I enjoy conversations with them .. they look DOWN on replica watches and don't really know as much as members here about the history of their brand..

It is the reason that I cannot wait to get "home" to friends that share the Passion weather the watch is genuine or replica .. and just ... plain make you feel like others in the world share the same .... obnoxious obsession, in the history and everything that goes with the timepiece ....

any timepiece that cost more than a couple hundred dollars is really jewelry .. for me it's more than both .... it is engineering... it's art.. it's Ziggy's Art ,.. it's just plain Beauty !!

I could go on , and on ,, Ad Infinitum !!... but you get ma drift !!

edit add:... great topic SP ... it would be lonely without you all.. I know I already said that... but I said it again..!!

Where would I go without this place... granted I would save money .. but then again it would just go into a lesser hobby !! B)

I Love this Community !! :D

Attending a number of family dinners over last couple of days has got me thinking.

How many members of your family/close friends are really interested in watches?

We've been sitting at the table today... some talk about normal things, family stuff, pets, food, cars and of course football.

There was a discussion about today's game - Manchester United vs... I don't even remember who as I am not into football at all...

So when the discussion started and I heard Manchester United - the first thing that came to my mind and that I felt like sharing was about Hublot and their new sponsorship contract, the new limited Big Bang watch etc etc.... but guess what? I did not say a word.. because I feel they would not really care. They would have no idea what Hublot is leave alone a Big Bang and what was changed in the MU limited version.

I suddenly started to feel very lonely in this hobby and with my interest.

If it wasn't for internet and our amazing forums it would be really hard to find a person to talk to about watches.

To be honest in my close surrounding there is only my father who is interested in this subject, my gf got a bit into it thatnks to me... maybe one or two friends who like nice watches but do not really have a clue about anything specific....

So thank you guys that you are here and that I can share my passion with you!

That is why I told you, come to the Euro GTG's, we always have nice food, lots of watches, LOTS of deep knowledge about watches, and of course discussions about watches - and of course friendship. All combined together! Great fun and you don't feel lonely in your hobby!

Never actually met in person another collector of replica watches.

In fact I only know a very few genuine collectors.

I did speak to a guy recently on holiday (we just got on very well and on the same wavelength, which is rare these days). We started talking about watches

because his cheap holiday watch strap broke at lunch. I happened to have another watch in my luggage with a Nato strap and gave it to him to use.

Noticing my tritium MWC which I often take on holiday, he was interested and we started chatting generally about watches.

In the conversation I discovered he had 4 (yes 4!) Pateks, one of which was vintage.

As I also have some classic watches myself we I discussed those. But replicas were never mentioned!

And he is probably the first guy I've met who had any interest in watches in maybe 10 years!

So not a widely popular hobby, I would say.

A really nice thread here!

Yeah, it is always hard after assambling a watch not to have someone personally who said "really nice, great job you did there". -_-

A lot of friends have seen me building a watch only from parts, some of them are laughing or kidding how funny it looks, but impressed of the result they are not really. For the most people I met, which had the first time a contact with a Rolex, are this waches as ugly as sin!

They maybe said "common, make one for me now", but when I am telling them how much it costs..."are you crazy, for that money I can buy a gen Festina"... :o

I've give up trying to explain them, that this reps we're wearing/building/buying are not china-vegetable-market or beach-seller watches, because the answer is always "it is still a rep"!

On the other side there are also some interested, they always ask me if I have something new for sale - but the only interest is to buy and wear it, without to know something about it!

Sometimes I ask myself why I am doing this, it's even not a real thing and it has in a way to stay secret - I was in some situations close to give everything up and to sell all the s*it, but on the other side I don't know what can impress me so much like watches do...and the whole time I spend here and on gen forums with learning, looking, searching...I can not blow it away...yes, it get's a part of my life and I will go on - for me, not for someone else!

I'm pretty fortunate really. All my close friends and a pretty good chunk of business associates are really hardcore watch guys. So I kind of get the best of all worlds. I'm only really collecting gens at the moment so I get to interact with them on that front without spilling the rep beans and then I get that and the really hardcore WIS stuff I want here on RWG.

Pound for pound I have found more watch knowledge (and interesting personalities I might add) here than anywhere else on the web and beyond. I only wish many of my RWG friends here could come down and I could trun them on to some people I know and their enviable collections locally. I know many here would really appreciate some of the pieces I have been lucky enough to see and hold that you don't see everyday at AD's. If anything I wish I can't share any of that enthusiasm with anyone except the owner of the collection. But anyway, I guess in my case the watch Gods have blessed me and I never find the hobby lonely in the least.

It can be as lonely as you want to let it be.

I've never worn my reps hoping that someone would look at them and be impressed, or even conversational.

Notwithstanding my age, which provides some grey hair and other emoluments, nobody has ever asked me.

And that's just fine with me.

If I like the look and design and if it works for me, it works. I don't have any other expectations for reps.

This forum is a great way to not be lonely about reps and it has always worked well for me.

It is an amusing and curiously satisfying hobby. With that, if you are still feeling lonely, it might not be this hobby but rather some other factor in your life.

Carl

One co-worker is almost obsessed with how many watches I own, and frequently claims "you have too may watches"

I usually smile ans say "not yet".

Part of the issue is that he doesn't know my replicas are not real. Why spoil it for him? :p

Edited by Omega_Man

I didn't mean I feel lonely in general as some might have understood :)

OK, I can talk to some people about watches, I often do but it is not the same level of a conversation as here with you guys. And most people do not really care, they can wear their casio or a citizen and call it a day.

Actually my GF is growing to be a real WIS -> she loves to spot watches while browsing some new magazines or tabloids - and I have to admit she is really getting good at that - yesterday she managed to identify a Breitling for Bentley, a PAM and a Bell&Ross :)

So there is hope :) :)

Search Lyrics

Browse

Don't it ever get lonesome?

Yeah! Sure gets lonesome . . .

Don't it ever get sad when you go out on the road?

Oh, there was one time in Minneapolis . . . when I thought I had the clap for sure

Lonesome ain't the word

Don't it ever get sad when you go out on a thirty day tour?

Oh, I'll take away . . .

You got nothing but groupies and promotors to love you

And a pile of laundry by the hotel door

Don't it ever give a young man the blues?

Don't it ever make a young man wanna go back home?

When the P.A. system eats it,

And the band plays some of the most terrible [censored] you've ever known

Don't you ever miss your

House in the country and your

Hot little mama too?

Don't you ever miss your

House in the country and your

Hot little mama too?

Don't you better get a

Shot of the doctor for what the

Road Ladies do to you?

Lonely lonely hobby.

There's the Swiss collectors.. Theres the exception the the rule, then theres the exception to the exception. That would be us.

Once in a while, on that rare occasion, it all works out. And a great conversation is to be had, and possibly; a great friend is made.

Look at RWG.

:drunk:

i think there can develop a certain amount of obsessiveness with our hobby. certainly many people would think

its a waste of their time spending hours on end worrying about the state of the crown guards on the 33rd sub they bought.

like anything i believe moderation is a useful guide. (too bad i lost that awhile ago with my 51 watches!)

i think our hobby can affect our friends & family if we spend too much time here at their expense (guilty again).

it can end up being a kind of escape if we are not relating to those around us. yet at the end of the day, if this is your thing

so be it. other people know every baseball or football stat, we know every eta movement or PAM model #.

Happy Holidays

• 3 weeks later...

New to this forum but certainly not new to the world I want to respond to this.

I can relate to a lot of stuff that has been stated here by some members.

Next to watches I'm also into sneakers. Yes I know that's an awkward combination but I've got the same issues with both hobbies: finding someone in my own circle of people that have the knowledge about the subject at hand (i.c. watches or sneakers). I'm so grateful that there's internet and that there are communities of people that are also interested in the same stuff as I am.

And to answer the question: I'm not lonely because I've got a great GF who is always willing to listen to anything I've got to say about one of my hobbies. But it's nice to find a place that can inspire me and that can give me more info about the subject.

So thanks to Internet and you people out there sharing the same interest this forum exist and boy am I thankful for that.

Keep it up people...