When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting the Cousteau lume right...finally...

RWG Technical

One day in heaven (near the pool I suspect...)

"Mr. Cousteau, I have news for you, they have made a watch and named it in your honour..."

"This is wonderful, tell me how it looks"

"It's a nice dive watch, with a chronograph and a waterproof strap, you can even see the time under water because it glows in the dark"

"Amazing, and what is the colour of the watch?"

"The watch has a blue dial..."

"Blue dial, in honour of the ocean and all it's beauty...and the glow, what colour is it? Blue like the dial??"

"No it's not Blue, sadly they messed it up, it glows.........green..."

"GREEN! Mon dieu! I am not a landlubber, trees are green, I am a man of the Sea, the water and the sky are BLUE not GREEN...sacre blue, this is terrible...if only there was someone who could help us..."

"I know, lets send the watch to Ziggy, I understand he can fix the lume and make it blue"

"Really, that would be wonderful, there is hope after all..." :)

So Mr. Cousteau, this one is in your honour for all you did.

First up, daylight shots, this is BGW9 or C1 with a Blue Glow.

6.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

All of these pictures are done with a fixed exposure of 0.5 second. No cheating with long exposures to make the lume look like a nuclear reactor gone bad, or with "Turbo" lume...or other such nonsense...

Subdial hands are lumed in Super Luminova Orange (chrono seconds and chrono subdials), hard to see in the pics as it doesn't show up well with the blue overpowering it.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks for looking.

RG

Beautiful job Rob! It looks amazing..

Do you know if there exists a lume which glows gold or yellow /gold?

YGG over at rep geek is hand painting a dial for me and some gold lume might add to the beauty of her work

if that's possible.:)

Looks amazing and is even brighter!! That is great news.

Is this something you are now carrying in stock?

Is the blue a special order for you / special request at a higher cost. Not watch speficic just as a general request.

No dollar figures requested just curious about availability for this on other watches.

Thanks for posting this,

M

@rob,you make me blue with envy. I cant wait to send you my secret project. I have a feeling lani will be giving you a call too. :)

as for blue lume, I have read that blue lume can be seen better than green in the deep ocean. the reason is the color spectrum and how light falls off. using the ROY G BIV scale, the color blue exists longer than green. one example I read about was a particular fish that looks blood red out of the water, but near black at depth.

not sure if it is true, but it makes sense to me.

great job my friend. I cant wait for you to pamper my new toy

Edited by its_urabus

Simply Awe-inspiring .. to think of Blue Ocean Currents.. Magnificant .. is the only word that could describe not only the colour but the Artist' work

These incredible lume jobs are sort of getting to be "Par for the Course" for you Z. .. but of course it's the "Singer not the Song" B)

@ all, thanks for the feedback, I was a bit nervous on doing this one, not having any idea how it would turn out, but I think it looks great.

Answer's

Only know of blue or green glow lume, no gold but there is a yellow colour on the tritec listing

I do stock this lume now, no extra cost, same price as the other lumes. I bought some to experiment with, and really like the results so far.

Interesting on the colour underwater, makes sense to me.

I grew up in a small fishing town, our seaweed was every colour, including green, but I still prefer the blue on this one :)

Sorry, no pics of the process, especially the bezel, it's like sex in a way, once you start, you can't stop till your done...over an hour just to get the triangle and 0-15 area done, by then my nerves are shot and I need a couple of hours to recover. It's very difficult to do, especially the small bezel numbers, not a lot of room for error.

Thanks again for the feedback, lets hope the owner likes it.

OOOPS, looks like the owner stepped in while I was typing.

RG

@ all, thanks for the feedback, I was a bit nervous on doing this one, not having any idea how it would turn out, but I think it looks great.

Answer's

Only know of blue or green glow lume, no gold but there is a yellow colour on the tritec listing

I do stock this lume now, no extra cost, same price as the other lumes. I bought some to experiment with, and really like the results so far.

Interesting on the colour underwater, makes sense to me.

I grew up in a small fishing town, our seaweed was every colour, including green, but I still prefer the blue on this one :)

Sorry, no pics of the process, especially the bezel, it's like sex in a way, once you start, you can't stop till your done...over an hour just to get the triangle and 0-15 area done, by then my nerves are shot and I need a couple of hours to recover. It's very difficult to do, especially the small bezel numbers, not a lot of room for error.

Thanks again for the feedback, lets hope the owner likes it.

RG

:lol:

I think that should read 'no room for error'... ;)

Once again, your lume work is phenomenal, an inhumanly high level of precision, and attention to detail which is just awesome to behold :):good:

I was just looking at it again in between chasing after the kids...it looks FANTASTIC The Zigmeister!! What a treat to be able to have you work on this one. The blue does indeed look amazing. The only problem for this is...your wait list is going to get harder and harder for people to take with all the truly amazing lume work you've been presenting the last few weeks!!!!

Truly a pleasure to look at.

I was just looking at it again in between chasing after the kids...it looks FANTASTIC Ziggy!! What a treat to be able to have you work on this one. The blue does indeed look amazing. The only problem for this is...your wait list is going to get harder and harder for people to take with all the truly amazing lume work you've been presenting the last few weeks!!!!

Truly a pleasure to look at.

I am glad you like the results. On the test bench right now, if all goes well after the servicing, it will be this week's shipment...

RG