When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Earbuds - anyone have an opinion?

Nanuq

Sennheiser are good but they don't make a lot of their own stuff. I picked up a pair of Sennheisers last year and then found out you could buy the exact same set branded under Creative Labs instead of Sennheiser for under half the price. I don't remember the model numbers off the top of my head.

I just picked up a set of Shure headphones for 60 bucks, marked down from 150. I have not tried them out to comment on the sound quality.

For buds with the mic/control button, the new Apple In Ear headphones are pretty friggin great IMO. I owned ER6i and found the sound to be airy but thin. The Apple buds don't have much oomph in the low end, but neither do many "neutral" buds. The Apple are also dual driver based...tough to find that for $79, especially since you get the mic/button.

For buds with no mic, I can not say enough good things about the Denon C700/751. They are the mid range darlings of Head-Fi. Amazing punchy bass, smooth mids, great imaging. A bargain at +/-$100.

Thanks for all the great replies! I went to Best Buy and the man there says I can buy 'em and try 'em and if I don't like 'em?? ............bring 'em back, no questions asked. So I picked up a nicer pair of Sony's and they're warm but muddy... so back they go.

Then I put my cheap Skullcandy buds back on, jammed the tips in my ears and hit Play, and I was blown away at the bottom octave that suddenly showed up, and how dynamic the sound is. I mean they just sound amazingly open and airy and punchy compared to the high end Sonys, and these little suckers only cost like $16.99

At this price I can afford to freeze them in the car overnight, slam them in the door, drop them in the snow... and not even worry. SHWEEEET!!!

Told you, I love those Skullcandies :)

I owned ER6i and found the sound to be airy but thin.

I have to say that you either weren't wearing them correctly (pushed deep into your ear canal), and/or your ears were not creating a seal with the default rubber flanges. Or you may have actually had a faulty pair. ER6i's are anything but airy and thin when it comes to sound quality ^_^

I have these ER

For a great balance between sound, noise isolation, and price, I highly recommend the Shure SE210.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shseea.html

Earphone Solutions also has excellent information discussing the pros and cons of different models of earphones, plus links to independent reviews on sites such as CNET.

So I took the advice of this thread and picked up a set of iAudio in-ear buds the other day. They perform as advertised, cutting just about all outside noise, while increasing the bass and audio quality considerably. My only complaint with these earphones is that all the sounds that you don't usually hear are amplified as well, such as the earphone cable bouncing off my coat. It sounds like a constant bass drum. All the sounds within your head also seem to become much more noticeable (breathing, chewing, etc.), as does the sound of my shoes hitting the pavement.

I will say that these in-ear buds stay in my ear far better than the standard Apple earphones. And, when sitting still there is no comparison, but when being active there is just too much annoying noise.

More testing has occurred, and I'm still digging my Skullcandy! I tried the Sure110 and they were sonically very close to the Sonys... a bit smoother mids but still lacking that amazing open PUNCH of the SKCs.

I'm still sold on the cheapos. :tu:

I really have to vouch for the Bose in-ear headphones. I've used them for about a year now and they are amazing, I've had a number of high end headphones and ear buds and I can say these are deff on par and surpass in some areas most I've owned. You should really check them out.

I'e had Shure's for the past 5 years with my iPod. I've moved from my orig e2c - to SE210 - and have finally landed on the SE530PTH's.

Can't go wrong with these badboys. And if for your ipod/mp3 device, i'd recommend higher bit rate tracks. Again, everyones ears are different, it comes down to what sounds right to you.

Cheers,

A