When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yet another 1665 GW Sea-Dweller

lazarini

Girls and Guys ;)

I'm glad to report i have finished another 1665 GW project with Tribal... some of u know i have posted a few pics and comments and pics in Martyd3 thread of how things are progressing.

I have received this watch last week and made 2 sets of pics last one as u can see dates 29th and today's 31 of Jan... Damn it was cold on the balcony :p

What can i say about it... it came out great IMHO. The thing is me and tribal think pretty much in sinc about how a vintage 1665 build shod look in the end :) all do i push him from time to time to try something new with every build we make.

I would like to thank T for this spectacular piece :thumbsupsmileyanim: ... see below the the cook list of parts.

MBW 1665 case with HE Valve Mod

Swiss Eta mvt.

NDT 1665 dial with vintage patina

Hands modded to match the dial patina

Gen 585 end links

Gen crown and tube

Tropic 39 Superdom glass

Drilled holes with gen pins

Ubi flat 3 DW

Hollow mid link bracelet 93150

Gen vintagized insert with acrilic tritium pearl

Case back stripped and aged

CGs shaped and re polished

Case re shaped and re polished

NOW on to the pics... please pardon some dust on outer glass on some of them, i was taking these shoots on a dirty balcony table ;)

IMG_7726-1.jpg

IMG_7728-1.jpg

IMG_7730-1.jpg

IMG_77301-1.jpg

IMG_7733-1.jpg

IMG_7773.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7779.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7803.jpg

There u go and a wristie to top this of ... note the hand stitched vintage woolen cardigan done by my mom cca. 15 years ago... i thought it would be perfect for this shoot :)

IMG_7808.jpg

There u go...

I sincerely hope u enjoyed this pictorial... i will post a thread The old the new and the ugly in a short while where ill bring u a pictorial on the 1665 GW, 16600 SD and the 116660 Deep Sea...

stay tuned B) Kind regards LAZ

Hey Laz,

You couldn't resist ...and get another GW !!!

Great move :D

Well Tribal and you are like an old couple now...a winning pair!

Your new GW is awesome and probably even better than the previous one.

Congrats guys, keep building watches toghether, it is a pleasure to see them.

All the best,

Stephane

Thx for the nice comments gentlemen!

I was out the hole day and while doing a litle bit of shopping i passed a casio shop that advertised also a pressure test... since i had my 1665 with me i said what the hell lets give it a go at 3ATM/30m just to be sure when washing the hands and if i get cough in a rain without the umbrella :)

Funny thing happen then i went in explained the sales guy what i wanna do and he said NP so i hand him the watch and he was like :o he said he never seen one of these live and that we shod give it a proper test starting at 6ATM and then see how it goes...

At that moment i was a bit skeptic... and wanted to pull out of it but he did not wanna have nothing of that... so he cracked the tester at 6ATM ... all good ... hit it at 10ATM still all fine ... then he said hell try it at 20ATM=200m and nothing no problem at all...

He returned the watch and said something like yep it might be old but u can still visit the TITANIC with it if u wanted...

This puppy beat the 20ATM test just gives u an idea of the build that Tribal achieved here... outstanding B)

Just wanted to share that with u peeps ...

Kind regards LAZ

I also have a GWSD...MBW. So far I have installed a Clark superdome, installed a poor mans watch parts insert, drilled lug holes and installed the correct spring bars.

Now I want to trim the CG and install an ofrei pearl.

I have a few questions....

1) I was told after the fact that a superdome on a GW is wrong...is that the case? Did the gen GWSD ever come from the factory with a superdome?

2) I notice in some pictures of MBW GWSD that have been modded that the tip ends of the spring bars can be clearly seen almost to the very edge of the hole. In others you can barely see them....why the difference and are there specific spring bars that I should buy to make it look this way?

3) I have read the tutorials about CG trimming....can some one give me a more specific guide as to how I should go about trimming my MBW CG? I have never done this before and dont want to make any mistakes. Do I use a dremmel? Just take that small area out at the very bottom of the CG? I really need some expert help here. Thanks.

that pearl looks aaaawwwwesome!!!

Megga dittos. Usually I'm with By-Tor when it comes to vintage pearls= just have it out, but this insert is perfect camouflage. Great effort!

1) I was told after the fact that a superdome on a GW is wrong...is that the case? Did the gen GWSD ever come from the factory with a superdome?

I'm not sure, specifically, and I'm sure you will get the answer here in short order, but, that's the beauty of 'Rolex' and our hobby; And Laz himself touched on it with regard to the 'date wheel'; If it is a sanctioned 'Rolex Genuine OEM' part, and it fits? It could be outfitted at a service interval or after a 'repair' at an AD at anytime. There are all sorts of stories about genuine Rolex watches being 'mutts' within the bloodline. Sources and stock of otb accouterment dry up (as all Rolex is largely; an assembly point of out-sourced parts) but current stocks of dials, hands, find their way onto vintage watches. Not too long ago a member of TRC bought a latterday (new from an AD) Explorer with a 'SWISS T<25' dial indicating an older dial (pre-'80 or so?) titrium not luminova lume. In a short lived panic he queried the membership, his fears laid to rest as it were indeed a 'New' watch by serial number, movement and other clues, it's just the 'run' of watches had been paired with a source of older dials found shelved Lord knows where. Rolex=Rolex.

Towit; Initially, the pristine condition of Laz's crystal drew my attention as perhaps a watch of this vintage would look more like one of 'Nanuq' 's gens with regard, but there too, vintage watch/new crystal. It certainly happens....................

Edited by Demsey

So I know that the superdome is normally only on

the DRSD but if you like it why not?!?

For the Vintage look I prefer while modding only to relume

The markers and hands to get a creamy vintage touch and

some varnish on the Dial to become slightly structure on it.

For the Case CG's trimmed inside out because they are too

thick from factory, Lugholes drilling and repolishing the Case back to

become the engravings like worn out.

For scratches and dings on the Case and Glass I leave it by

the owner, I rework and polish it like new.

I think they must come by wearing ;)