When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronographs: Why?

ammandel

OK so I've held this on my mind for so long, and I can't stop thinking other people must think this sometimes too..

Why oh why are chronographs made the way they are? Having the running seconds at 6 is a stupid STUPID design because it effectively means that the largest hand on the dial (the large seconds hand) is stationary at 12 all the time. I know the actual reason is that this seconds hand is suppose to be visible and accurately measurable but it'd be so nice to have just all sub-dials interact with each other..

I mean for the 3 subdials all to be separate from the time itself, so the seconds, minutes, and hours on a chronographs face are all for the stopwatch, and the seconds @ 6 begins when you press the start button.

I do think the current design makes sense in watches built to measure the stopwatch time and only that - the latest TAG for example with a rotating bezel that allows you to measure within a 1/10th of a second, it seems fitting for this purpose..

..but on a Rolex Daytona? A watch that I can almost safely say has never been used to measure stopwatch time as its primary feature.. Hell this stationary seconds hand at 12 would be annoying.. to me anyway. We all know keeping it running all the time isnt an option either! so this is no fix.

With that said, will you ever look at that seconds hand on your chronograph the same ever again?..

Just my 2... pence?

PS: RobbieG; I want your input and I'm sure you'll have something to add in this topic bro :D

Edited by ammandel

The reason the large/regular seconds hand is used in the chrono is because it is easier to see, when used as a chrono. Especially for those far-sighted or bi-focal challenged individuals.

True, most people don't buy chrono's as chrono's. But, in aviation, racing (Daytona), etc, they do serve their purpose. Especially the Tachymeter for calculating speed.

-Ronin

Edited by RoninQ

The reason the large/regular seconds hand is used in the chrono is because it is easier to see, when used as a chrono. Especially for those far-sighted or bi-focal challenged individuals.

True, most people don't buy chrono's as chrono's. But, in aviation, racing (Daytona), etc, they do serve their purpose. Especially the Tachymeter for calculating speed.

-Ronin

Agreed... now if it's a seconds @ six dial and the edge of the chrono hand overlaps the running seconds while stationary I can see where that would be annoying if you just wanted to see...say, running seconds, and never used the chrono function. But- then why buy the Daytona ;)

Actually it's because a longer hand is more accurate for reading elapsed time. 5 seconds on a subdial measures about 2 or 3mm, but on the outside of the dial the same amount of time cover almost a full cm. The longer the hand the easier it is to measure the interval. More crucial when timing an event than for general timekeeping.

Actually it's because a longer hand is more accurate for reading elapsed time. 5 seconds on a subdial measures about 2 or 3mm, but on the outside of the dial the same amount of time cover almost a full cm. The longer the hand the easier it is to measure the interval. More crucial when timing an event than for general timekeeping.

Agreed...And wasn't the Rolex Daytona named after and created for the 24 hour race? Imagine trying to read the sub @6 dial when timing laps or a driving stint in the cockpit at 200mhp bouncing down a straightaway.

@ammandel - Andreww took the words out of my mouth. That is the clear reason why and much appreciated when timing events - like cooking steaks on the grill at twilight for example. Visibility and accuracy is the idea. To sort of turn a wristwatch into a stopwatch, which doesn't have any long term timekeeping functions. To have the "ah-ha" moment, find a pic of a stopwatch and imagine that what a wrist chronograph is kind of supposed to be is a stopwatch that also tells the time, not a watch that also has a stopwatch function. It is just that the former is more practical than the latter...

While I understand and agree as said in my OP that I'm sure this is done for visibility and measurability reasons, I just can't help but think it is none the less annoying for every day use :D and I don't know if anyone has been on the track recently, but I'd like to see you unscrew and press those buttons on a daytona in the middle of a "200 mph" race :D

I don't know if anyone has been on the track recently, but I'd like to see you unscrew and press those buttons on a daytona in the middle of a "200 mph" race

I was an SCCA racer for many years. Never wore a watch in the cockpit, that is what the pit-crew is for.

The Daytona was meant for pit-crews, team bosses, and wealthy spectators. Nice to be in the stands or pit wall, and be able to easily determine your favorite drivers lap time and even speed.

-Ronin

On the same note, why do many high end watches have chronographs? I don't think anyone is going to bust out their VC Overseas or Patek Chronographs to use as a stopwatch. "Oh jolly jeepers, how long is Jeeves going to take with our tea? Honey, time him with your Patek Phillipe before we fire him."

On the same note, why do many high end watches have chronographs?

Another easy question. The answer is that while virtually no complications are particularly useful in real world application at the end of the day, they exist in horology for reasons of respect and passion. Simply put, execution of complications is the highest achievement a watch manufactory can attain. A simple two handed high end watch is about hand finishing and expert execution above all. But a chronograph, or minute repeater, or toubillion, or perpetual calendar, or high power reserve movement are all very difficult to manufacture and deliver world class final finish on by comparison. The more complicated a movement is, the more respect an manufactroy is going to get from its patrons and peers for doing well...

Yes, Nigel Tufnel also has a custom Patek repeater with a volume [censored] on it as well. It goes to eleven of course, but also has amazing sustain. You can operate the pusher and go out for a bite and when you come back it will still be playing...

He was wearing it when he wrote "Lick My Love Pump" for the follow up to the best selling Smell the Glove album...

-Ronin

After all this fuss about chrono pushers, long and short and tiny hands i would like to ask an almost silly question: How could i use the "TACHYMETRE" on the rehaut of my BCE....That was a question i always wanted to make but i was afraid of being characterized completely NOOB :whistling: Does someone know (maybe Andreww)??

How could i use the "TACHYMETRE" on the rehaut of my BCE....That was a question i always wanted to make but i was afraid of being characterized completely NOOB :whistling: Does someone know (maybe Andreww)??

Read my guide on using the circular slide rule linked in my signature. The tach instructions are at the bottom of the guide.