When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best true dress watches out there?

whitestripes

Hi guys,

We all know about the huge supply of 7750 based reps (thank god for the spacing) and the nice dive watches out there, but how many true dress watches are repped? I'm trying to round out my collection and need a dress watch. In my book, a dress watch is:

On a leather strap (but can also come with bracelet)

35-39mm diameter

White dial (or close, like cream)

No complications, but a date would be ok

Center seconds or subdial at 6 (love the look)

Very thin (important!)--like <12mm

You guys know what I mean--a minimalist, nice looking dress watch that can be worn under a suit. Perhaps something a banker would wear?

I like the Omega Aqua Terra, but it's on the border between a sports watch/dress watch. I'd like something that unequivocally says "Dress Watch."

Any suggestions?

Why bother with a rep for a dress watch (unless your tastes run to Patek)? Things like this are available for a reasonable price. 35mm on a camel skin band. Circa 1979 iirc. Someday soon I'll pull the back off again to check the movement serial and date it properly.

DSC00111.jpg

Jeez, that was weird. Photobucket attached the wrong image twice.

Can a chronograph watch be a "pure dress watch"? I don't know.

But anyway... this is my favorite: 1911 Chronograph modulor, full gold. Unfortunately this is not a rep... unfortunately it's not mine, either. :D

ebmodulor.jpg

Why bother with a rep for a dress watch (unless your tastes run to Patek)? Things like this are available for a reasonable price. 35mm on a camel skin band. Circa 1979 iirc. Someday soon I'll pull the back off again to check the movement serial and date it properly.

DSC00111.jpg

Jeez, that was weird. Photobucket attached the wrong image twice.

How much did you get that for? I love the vintage Omegas.

Glashutte SS.

How can it only cost 118USD I hear you ask....I asked myself the same thing hen i opened it up :)

P1000413.jpg

Man, that hits all the points I desire, but 42mm in a white dial with such a thin bezel is a bit too big. My ideal watch size (sporty or otherwise) is ~40mm (don't have monster wrists). I have an Omega Speedmaster Date coming in, as well as the 42mm Asian Narikaa PO. But a dress watch I'd like <39mm. Man, I still love the way it looks, though! (might still get it :) )

Do you have any pics of the Glashutte Senator against other watches? I want to get an idea for how it wears on the wrist.

Go for the PP 3919. All time classic. Simple and elegant. But pity do not see a good rep since EL's version is gone.

+1

that's why I ended up getting the Longines Grand Classique, a distant second and a "settle" version of the 3919.

AR and VC put out some really good dress reps.

I might think of getting one or both reps soon.

Edited by If you see Kay

Can I see some pics of the Grand Classique rep? Trusty's got the classique, but not "grand" classique...

f6f4a65423afad29911b0196c0a8bd32.image.750x497.JPG

The way the head connects to the bracelet is too weird for me. I like regular lugs.

On a non-rep note, check out this Nomos-like watch from Chinese cheap watch maker Herc:

herc0181w_4.JPG

herc0181w_5.JPg

herc0181w_8.JPG

herc0181w_7.JPG

It's cheap, but it looks so good!

Forgot to mention it's out of stock. I emailed their service rep, they said they reordered. It's only like $60. Cheap.