When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

klj

RWG Technical

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review The Zigmeister!

Very interesting to read about this. A thought, if one were to get a rep which uses this running secs at 12 modification, would it be possible to exchange the underlying A7750 with a new ordinary A7750 (in case of e.g. movement probs), transferring the dial side gears of the secs at 12 mod onto the new A7750, or would there be problems with dial hand posts of the standard A7750 being to short etc?

Regards

I think the dealers should cut you in on some additional profit they are now sure to get as a result of your blessing on this movement!

Seriously though, this is my watch so I know it well. For this watch the full service from The Zigmeister is definitely worth getting done for piece of mind alone!

Great to hear, this is one of the best looking reps available IMO and now the fact that they are made better than rumored will make many members feel better. I know individual experience will vary and I am sure some seconds @ 12 will still have issues, but overall this is a positive development.

Cheers,

M

As usual, excellent report from the ZiggMiester! Thanks RG! Based on my experience with my AP ROO Safari, having worn it for more than six weeks in the worst conditions you could think of, I for one is impressed with the quality of this watch and the movement inside! As I have stated before, it only gained about a minute and a-half since I put it on, and for me, that's good enough! I have to give it a rest pretty soon and wear something else!

Bravo! :1a:

I did not know that there were a lot of broken seconds at 12 models...my only guess is that they were the same as the one I had, in need of servicing.

As for the jerky seconds hand, it's a result of the space between all the gears...the output gear with the seconds hand attached to it should have a tiny dial washer slipped over the post. The washer serves as a sort of shock and absorbs the irregularity of the running and jerkiness and tends to smooth it out.

The running seconds on this one is silky smooth...

RG

Can it be the donought shaped gear at the center is improved, there is no thin round raised section on Franciscos version?

Gear E:

aasg9.jpg

img2145yu5.jpg

Ziggy (have to go formal rather than "RG" since I don't know you).

Thanks once again for your time and for your willingness to share your knowledge and insights.

I make it a point to reread your tutorials every month; I pick up something new/valuable each time.

JW

Can it be the donought shaped gear at the center is improved, there is no thin round raised section on Franciscos version?

The raised section I am referring to is on the plate, under the gear...you can't see it unless the gear is removed. In those pics you can see the hollowed out top part for when your upside down wearing your watch.

@JohnCraig

No need to be formal, we all belong to the same forum so that's good enough for me to be casual.

RG

Great news. If I were a Royal Oak fan I would be dancing a jig right now. With a reliable movement those are a whole lotta watch for four or five hundred bucks as compared to 20-30K for a gen. I'm happy for the AP fans out there for sure. Thanks again to Rob for taking the time to share his findings.

And keep in mind the factory has their dogs patrol these forums. Our sales are the test market for knowledge and they do care what we say. I'm certain that is what these improvements are being made - not for our benefit of course as our sales are insignificant to the whole really, but for the benefit of their broader wholesale markets on the say so of the experts - that's us in their eyes. The system works quite well I think.

Thanks for sharing this info. Very very encouraging!

May I ask, why is your view so very different to Francisco's who slammed the movement as being a time bomb that should be worn as little as possible.

So what elements do you disagree with?

This form and others have shown its fair amount of 12 o'clock failures

Thanks for sharing this info. Very very encouraging!

May I ask, why is your view so very different to Francisco's who slammed the movement as being a time bomb that should be worn as little as possible.

So what elements do you disagree with?

This form and others have shown its fair amount of 12 o'clock failures

Yes. I am interested in knowing better you opinion.

I think that it is a very bad design. The central gear E is employed for the running seconds, whilst it could be employed for the minutes. The new jewels are employed mainly for the minutes, not for the running seconds.... that are always running.

However, I respect a lot your thoughts.

Francisco.

In my view this movement isn't a ticking time bomb at all, in fact as I stated, it's an excellent design as good as the running seconds at 3 model. The failure rate of A7750's after I service them is less than 1%, the failure rate of the running seconds at 3 models I have serviced is 0%.

There are only 2 gears out of the 5 that drive the running seconds that are not jeweled. The friction from those two gears is not enough to affect the running of the movement, that is not going to change over time, meaning the longer the watch runs those gears are not going to cause problems. If there was enough friction to affect the movement, I would see it visually when I inspected the balance swings, as well as on the watch analyzer.

I am first and foremost a watchsmith, I base my findings on what I see, and what my testing shows. It's not subjective, meaning that I measure and test each and every part and piece of the movement as it's assembled, any problem along the way, I can see it and know why it happened.

This movement is well designed, and in 4 years of providing these reviews, I think my experience and track record speaks for itself.

It's up to the members to decide where they want to spend their money...I gave a poor/terrible rating to the GMT 2836 basterdized movement, and the seconds at 6 Daytona's, that doesn't seem to have affected sales because people keep on buying them, so this review is no different in my view. You (the members) will buy whatever you want to buy, no matter what I, or anyone else says...

If someone else wants to present their arguments why this movement is no good, and back it up with supporting data, I welcome the input, as will everyone.

I stripped this movement completely, cleaned it, and then assembled it in sections, tested each and every new piece as it was installed, and in the end, it's working perfect, the watch analyzer doesn't lie, I have nothing more to add of any value...

RG