When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A couple shots of old bonds

JoJo35

Took out the camera today and snapped a few pictures of two favorites of mine. Both bonds, fully modded, serviced, and running perfectly. It's funny how my tastes have changed since joining this forum. At that time I had absolutely no interest in vintage.... wow, how times have changed :D

Beautiful work. :wub:

I never tire of seeing vintage watches like these. They are truly works of art.

It looks like both watches have Brevet crowns, but are either of them the big, 8mm version?

Could you itemize the parts used to construct them?

I hope my 6536 turns out nearly as well (if/when I ever actually receive the Silix cases I ordered 2 months ago). :angry:

Very nice! Assuming the case is the right diameter, what crystal did you use? I have a gen tropic 18 on mine and it doesn't look nearly as nice as those! :tu:

Speaking of which... if anyone wants to do up a 6536-1 I have the correct crystal, a gen tropic 16. But I need to sell it for quite a bit to recover the money I have tied up in it............ just tossing that out there.

JoJo,

Fantastic watches. Examples such as yours and Freddy's posts made me realise that there's got to be more to this hobby than just buyng more and more ready to wear stuff. It's started me off down the modding road and vintage is the way to go. This post on RWG was my first encounter with a watch that gave me the horn! Here it is: Horny Watch

My first project is underway and it's giving me a greater buzz then any out-of-the-box-super-rep will every do.

I'd like to know what you did, your parts sources and, a little nosey I know, what you spent but then I'll understand if the master doesn't want to give away all his secrets too lightly.

Nice one.

KC

Good to see the 'narrow' NATO strap, as per movie canon, rather than to see the full 20mm. An awesome touch of attention to actual detail, rather than ideal detail :good:

The strap used in the early Bond films was not a NATO (note the lack of NATO rings & the material sliding under the case)

connerygoldfinger6538wristie2.jpg

Instead, they used a simple, 1-piece strap like this (but with Bond's school or military color stripes instead of my strap's plaid design), which was popular in the late 50s & early 60s

bondstylestrap20021.jpg

bondstylestrap20091.jpg

bondstylestrap0011.jpg

The strap used in the early Bond films was not a NATO (note the lack of NATO rings & the material sliding under the case)

connerygoldfinger6538wristie2.jpg

Ahh, that's interesting to know, and to be honest, something I'd never noticed, but now you point it out, indeed, it's pretty clear :) I seem to remember reading somewhere that the colors on Bond's strap, are the colors of a London Gentleman's Club, and the intent was to suggest that Bond was a member, although I forget where I read it... :)