When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are Stainless Steel Bracelets Unfashionable Nowadays ?

RIBOOWW2

I live in the tropics.. but if I were on the Mainland or EU where the temperature is freezing this time of the year.. I would definitely not be wearing a metal bracelet.. ;)

I imagine you'll see more leather now.. seasonal changes, may bring change in styles.. B)

I just picked up a vintage Doxa Sharkhunter and I tried it on a vintage steel rice beads bracelet. It really looks better on black leather. But my vintage Doxa Pro (orange dial) is KILLER on a stainless bracelet, and the leather looks only so-so.

It all depends on the model and the color and your personal taste, I guess. :g:

I recently got an new, unused SS pam bracelet from Richard Lawton for interchanging with my various pams. ;)

Like what Nanuq has mentioned above, it really depends on personal tastes... As much as I like straps, my line of work & my country's humid weather makes wearing leather straps uncomfortable...

Certainly not, although word is getting around that huge watches are finally. Giant watches are slowly becoming a fashion victim in Hollyweird now. A lot more celebs are being seen with smaller more understated watches. A lot more classic 40 and 36MM Rolex's and 38-42MM strapped dressier watches. Plenty of bracelets though - despite the sizes easing up a bit.

I can appreciate this question, as to me watches are a personal expression (which can be intepreted as fashion). Personally, 2 or 3 of the watches on my "wish list" are presented with either rubber or leather bracelets, and they look better that way. Totally subjective of course, some watches should only have a stainless bracelet, but then only worn on certain occasions. Who wears their breitling while mowing the lawn?

I find the rubber straps less "dressy" and more suitable to casual occasions or an active lifestyle (a rolex while riding a harley is pretty darned tacky), whereas I'd be more inclined to wear a black leather bracelet watch with a suit to the office. And as it was already stated above, weather plays a role here too. Just my $.02's

I think SS is very much in style. I always order a watch with the SS bracelet, but I normally wear it on rubber or leather just for the fact that SS picks up nasty scratches and desk diving marks so easily. When the mood hits me there is always a nice shiny bracelet at the ready!

I just like SS and two tone. I wouldn't want to ever get a full yellow gold watch, some reason they seem gaudy to me. I read somewhere that platinum has almost the same tone as SS. White gold imo is best for bezels and not cases and bracelets because it is rhodium plated and when the rhodium wears off, you end up with a very pale yellow colored metal since there really is no such thing as white gold. It's a mixture of gold and other metals.

I think SS is very much in style. I always order a watch with the SS bracelet, but I normally wear it on rubber or leather just for the fact that SS picks up nasty scratches and desk diving marks so easily. When the mood hits me there is always a nice shiny bracelet at the ready!

i have to say i'm with andreww on this one. i tend to buy a genuine rubber or leather strap as they look and feel far far better than rep ss ones. you can pick up a genuine breitling rubber for

I just like SS and two tone. I wouldn't want to ever get a full yellow gold watch, some reason they seem gaudy to me. I read somewhere that platinum has almost the same tone as SS. White gold imo is best for bezels and not cases and bracelets because it is rhodium plated and when the rhodium wears off, you end up with a very pale yellow colored metal since there really is no such thing as white gold. It's a mixture of gold and other metals.

You are not wrong about WG typically being rhodium plated, but PT isn't really much like steel though. It is much lighter and whiter really. I suppose you could say 904 steel is closest to it of the available variants of steel. That is why modern gen Rolex cases and bracelets are so beautiful and shiny (if that is what you like there is no steel better). It's the whiteness of the 904 that does that. 316 is very different. Hard to see in pictures but in real world lighting conditions if you had the two side by side it would blow your mind. For those that prefer, unpolished 950PT will age to a really nice soft matte patina that is not grey as some say but really unique, like a powdery white/silver. Platinum is really cool and unique stuff.

More trivia that will blow you mind as to the density and malleability of 950: A single gram of PT can be drawn and formed into a barely visible thin strand without interuption to a length of more than one mile. That's 5280ft boys...

My day-date rolex, old version hidden clasp swiss from silix SS is darker than that of most of my other SS watches. I'm guessing it has a lower grade SS in it. Interesting thing about SS, going off topic a little, is that I read it is a purified steel, and it is not magnetic because magnets attract to the impurities in steel. If you get tool grade SS, a magnet typically will stick to it but jewelry grade SS a magnet won't. One problem with this is the old asian (or russian? I dunno where these were made) rolex replicas would fool people because a magnet wouldn't stick to it making you think it is stainless, but after you wear it for a few months the plating wears off and it would turn green. I haven't seen anyone selling these pieces of garbage in years though. I sold mine for $5 shipped to a member of another board for a plating project and I just wanted to get rid of it, bad experience dealing with the Ukranian guy that sold it to me. Interesting that at the time I was finding "swiss replica" sites selling mainly submariners for $1200 and up which now are common to find around $180 or so each and likely in better articulation. I hate how scam sites still mislead people into thinking that there is a such thing as a true "Swiss Rolex replica" when in fact that is completely false and they are all made in Shenzhen/Guangzhou. Interesting too that one reputable dealer on these boards told me that their new rolex models use a "swiss case" and educated as I am, I know exactly what that means so I really don't need to point fingers. Just means that it is the case they use on models they sell with the ETA movement inside. I'm sure the dealer would have told me it was made in china if I needed to ask.

If I ever buy a genuine rolex, it will have gold in it. It will at least have a white gold bezel, but it has to have some gold otherwise I can't justify spending that kind of money on a watch (although the gold content in a Rolex is only as valuable as a small fraction of the cost of the watch :) )