When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Leaving On A Jet Plane...

RWG Technical

Well my time for holidays is fast approaching, and as such, I will be off the forum until September. So I hope everyone has a great summer and I hope to see everyone again in the fall. Before I go, I have to share a couple of things with you, as it’s going to affect my participation come the fall.

When I come back in September, I will be doing things differently. Basically I am spending 1-2 or more hours a day on emails and PM’s, and it has to stop. It’s one thing to be helpful, it’s another to be a prisoner to these forums or emails. This is part of the reason why I took a break in June and turned off my PM. Haven’t decided if I will turn it back on or not when I come back.

As for the emails, imagine getting these all the time:

“I shipped my watch to you today…”

“Ok, as soon as it gets here, I will let you know…”

A day goes by…

“Did my watch arrive yet, I am getting worried?”

“No, as soon as it does, I will let you know - as I already said”

Another couple of days go by…

URGENT Email

“Has my watch arrived yet, I am getting really worried, as I see by the tracking that it’s in customs and I am worried, can you call customs and make sure it’s ok or drive over and talk to them…please call them right away so that you can explain to them about my watch…”

“No, I will not call customs, don’t worry about it, when it gets here, I WILL LET YOU KNOW…until that time, there is nothing I can do”

One more day…

More problems, please respond right away

“I checked on the tracking, it cleared customs like you said it would, but they tried to deliver it to your house, and YOU WERE NOT HOME. So I have tried to call the number at your local post office and tell them that this is my watch, and not to send it back, as soon as you get this message, call the post office, here is their address and phone number in case you don’t have it.”

“Sigh…”

Since you can see the tracking on the website and the tracking shows when it’s at my house, there is no need for me to tell you that it has arrived.

Then I have the ones who I mistakenly gave my phone numbers to. House phone rings, I see the name and ignore it, so it rings 15 times…then as soon as it stops, the cell phone rings, and goes to the answering machine after 3 rings, then the house phone rings another 15 times, and then the emails start…and then the cell phone rings again…and they wonder why I don’t respond…who would want to…some people have no appreciation for other people’s time and are just rude.

These scenarios are happening far too often, and I need a new approach.

The other part of this correspondence burden, is the special requests, or what I call “tell me in 2000 words or more about my watch”.

This is an example:

“Can you tell me in detail the condition of the movement, how it looked, the fit and finish of the parts, the cleanliness of all the sections, oiling, adjustments etc, and what you think of this particular movement vis a vis others you have had in the shop, and how this one compares to the average ones, is it better, worse or about normal, and based on this how long do you think I should wait until the next service, and if I wait a bit longer than this what will that do to the watch, and what types of oils do you use, and tell me how it looked on the analyzer and ….”

People forget that these requests take time, and added up they take a LOT of TIME. Sitting at my end, it has become an ever-increasing burden, so much so that I either change the way I approach this, or stop doing it all together.

Anyway, that is a small bit of insight into the problems that I have gotten myself into with emails and pm’s due to my generosity. I haven’t even touched on the requests to give watch-making lessons via email…or to come to the rescue of would-be watchmakers. These people try something once, have success, and then hang out a shingle “I can repair watches or do XXX for you, send me your watch”. Problem is they don’t bother to take any training, or practice, or read up on watch making. And each and every time, it comes back to bite them – hard. They find out quickly (after causing big $$$ in damage - and expecting me to fix it and get them out of trouble so they can save face) that there is more to this watch making stuff than can be based on one fluke of a success. It’s not rocket science (apologies to the rocket scientists on the forum), but it does take skill, knowledge, and training and time to be able to do this work.

And, unbelievable as it seems, there are some people on here - that for one reason or another - I don’t want to have anything to do with (either from reading their responses on the forum, or in PM or email correspondence to me). I don’t feel I need to explain my reasons why, it’s my choice after all. If I don’t answer you, maybe it’s because I don’t want to have anything to do with you. By continuing to try and get an answer out of me, you simply confirm why I don’t want to have dealings with you in the first place.

I may also ask that the Q&A section get removed from my area of the forum. Some people avoid the email or PM blockage by posting the question in this section for all to see, and then I feel forced to respond, because if I don’t, it looks like I am not being helpful… The general watch repair and upgrade area seems to serve it’s purpose. Then there are those who ask a question, and once answered, don’t even have the decency to say “thanks…” disappointing…if I take the time to answer you, at least acknowledge it.

Thanks for reading my issues (if indeed you read it all). I have a new capabilities list for the fall with some changes to genuine overhaul pricing, and I also received my latest order of longer cannon and hour wheels to correct the short pin issue on the PAM’s… Both will be available in September. I either change how I do mail order work, or only concentrate on local work, I can’t continue as I have in the past…

I can only imagine what the dealers go though everyday…I feel for them…

Have a great August.

Cheers,

RG

Thanks for that. I hope the members all read it and understand that Zig (or any of the other watch experts) do put up with a lot of innocuous but time consuming stuff.

Appreciate them for their contribution.......just don't abuse it.

Have fun, The Zigmeister

Rob have a very good (and well deserved) holiday, we all know what a wonderful job you do here so you will be missed, but get out there with your kids (and special someone?) and come back fresh and relaxed before us nutters re-introduce you to our wacky ways.

Ken

hi The Zigmeister, enjoy the holiday. i haven't had the pleasure of dealing with you yet but hope to in the near future. i have a project that i would like done and everyone has pointed me in your direction. i'll wait till i see your situation when you get back. i can only imagine the craziness of the crazy's! all the best. chris.

Enjoy the holiday, well deserved. :)

Sad to see that common courtesy is hard to come by these days.

My opinion, whatever it's worth, is raise your prices.

You are providing an outstanding service that is rare to come by,

especially for these types of watches. You deserve to be fully compensated

and not be harassed by anal retentive indivduals. Looking forward to your

return in September. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:victory:

Rob,

Hope you enjoy the time off. Your post provides great insight into what all too often goes on behind the scenes of the forum. People lodging paypal complaints against dealers, demanding tracking numbers, etc., when they don't get immediate satisfaction. The service you have provided and the service the dealers provide is incredible in light of your experience. Thank you.

For anyone who is reading, engaging in this type of behavior, chill out. This hobby requires a great deal of patience (and if you start down the PAM road, a great deal of $$$ :lol: ) Seriously, I have spent 2 and half weeks on a mountain side waiting for the weather to clear and that didn't require nearly as much patience as collecting reps does.

Relax on.