When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick tell on most Rollie reps.... how easy to rectify?

robsa

Evening all

I think a really easy quick tell that someone is wearing a Rollie Rep is that the screws in the strap are so cheap and nasty looking. It only takes a second or two to see that the screws are nasty. Many do not have the little slit in the top (so you can unscrew it, name is evading me momentarily) halfway across the end of the little bar if you understand what I mean.

I was wondering if these little bars are a standard size - that is, could I go tot a jewellers and buy some good quality ones which would fit? I have always thought that this a an easy tell which could possibly be rectified relatively cheaply.

I am sure that I am not the first person to bring this up but could not find anything by doing a search so I apologise if I have missed a post on it.

Thoughts anyone?

Robsa

• Like 1

Ok I think you mean the bracelet more than the strap and what you describe is a cheap bracelet with pins instead of screws.

I think you will find a completely different level of quality here.

Ken

Ok I think you mean the bracelet more than the strap and what you describe is a cheap bracelet with pins instead of screws.

I think you will find a completely different level of quality here.

Ken

Ah yes, I mean bracelet of course, many apologies. Yes, the screws in the bracelet. They are cheap and nasty - as I said the heads or frequently off centre and when you unscrew one and take a beak at it then you can see how cheap they are. What I was wondering is whether I can could buy better quality ones.

And I should mention I have noticed this on the 2 Rollie reps I have (A Sub LV with a genuine ETA I got 2 years ago and a GMT II ceramic(WHS, ETA) I got from Chris recently. Don't get me wrong, I am amazed how great a rep the GMT II is, just noticed the bracelet screws are the same as in my Subbie. Crap! So have I just got unlucky sets of these screws? My feeling is that they are all like this but obviously I could be wrong.

regards

Robsa

I haven't had any off center screws and all my screws are stainless steel just like the bracelet. They look fine to me, but I haven't compared to the gen in many years. The cheap replicas they used to sell back in the early 2000's used spring bars or something, they were crap. They also weren't SS, they were plated. I haven't seen anyone selling those in several years but I heard you can still find them in Mexico.

The biggest tells that you can see from 6 feet away are the crown guards and the rehaut. I am talking about the Submariner of course because thats the most comon Rolex rep. I personally wouldnt worry too much about the bracelet screws. If your bracelet screws are that bad, then you probably have bigger tells that probably arnt fixable anyways.

The biggest tells that you can see from 6 feet away are the crown guards and the rehaut. I am talking about the Submariner of course because thats the most comon Rolex rep. I personally wouldnt worry too much about the bracelet screws. If your bracelet screws are that bad, then you probably have bigger tells that probably arnt fixable anyways.

I wasn't really suggesting it was a good way to spot a rep from a distance, as you would need to look closely at the bracelet and therefore probably holding the owners arm! I just noticed that, when comparing my rep GMT II Ceramic with my brothers gen, this stood out. We were both amazed at what a good rep it was, but he also picked up quickly on the bracelet screws. The Rolex genuine ones have really nice, well machined heads to the screws and the rep ones stand out.

I know there are a lot easier tells if you know about watches (for instance it has a wrong hand stack, rehaut, crown guards etc) or if have the genuine to compare it to, but this is one thing that even someone who doesn't know much about watches could pick up on. Or so I felt.

ok i see what you're saying.. basicly manufacturing quality control.. Ive seen rollie reps with screws that are too long and stick out the other side, crowns that dont screw down straight, end links that have big gaps and of course bezel pearls that just make you laugh when you see them because they are about 1/8" off center from the painted marker...

Nobody is going to "spot" any of the best Rolex reps in the market, unless you're a hardcore Rolex WIS and can have closer look. The ordinary, dull and tiny stainless steel bracelet screws (God forbid) look exactly the same on gens and reps.

Where do these "myths" and "truths" come from? Has ReplicaCenter updated their Grade AAAAA++++ reference guide? Real Swiss made TRL... and now Ladies and Gentlemen... the 2009 upgrade: REAL SWISS MADE STAINLESS STEEL BRACELET SCREWS!

What next? Someone comes up and tells that you can definitely smell the difference between gen and rep? :D

The days when we actually had "quick tells" are over. Of course reps will always have occasional QC problems though.

The screws would be one of the last thing when looking from a distance.

My eyes usually follow this pattern:

Cyclops mag (to rule out old school POS mag/font)

Pearl & Bezel

Crown & CG

Dial & rehaut depth

...and by then I either have it figured out. If I was still stuck, next

SEL based on model

lug holes based on model

I think the LAST thing I would look for is the screw heads.

-Ronin

It may take some trial & error to find a matching set since rep makers often use whatever screws they have on hand, but this should help.

Thanks freddy, this is exactly what I wanted. These look much nicer than the ones on my bracelets. Now all I need to do is see if I can get some in the UK.

I will be much happier with these pins in. If I get some I will maybe post up a pic to show what I am on about. It seems that I either have unusually bad screws or I am over fussy.... thanks for RWG to help me out though!

Nobody is going to "spot" any of the best Rolex reps in the market, unless you're a hardcore Rolex WIS and can have closer look. The ordinary, dull and tiny stainless steel bracelet screws (God forbid) look exactly the same on gens and reps.

Where do these "myths" and "truths" come from? Has ReplicaCenter updated their Grade AAAAA++++ reference guide? Real Swiss made TRL... and now Ladies and Gentlemen... the 2009 upgrade: REAL SWISS MADE STAINLESS STEEL BRACELET SCREWS!

Wow, go easy By-Tor! I feel like I have been flamed by God. :(

It was not a 'myth' and is nothing to do with replicacenter or anyone else. It was merely an observation that was made by my brother and me. Its true for the bracelets I have and as RWG is my Rep 'home' I thought I would post something up to see if anyone else had noticed this and also to see if I could get some nicer screws.

So go easy on me please! I'm very sensitive ;)

Robsa

Wow, go easy By-Tor! I feel like I have been flamed by God. :(

So go easy on me please! I'm very sensitive ;)

Robsa

Ahhh, don't worry about BT, robsa, he's been like that for a couple of days now! :rolleyes:

Grumbling around in admin..... storming up and down the stairs to the cellar........ spendin' way too much time at the bar!

Methinks we better extend the gym, and get him back excercising! Must be a testosterone thing!

(jk J , we know you don't imbibe)

And BTW ByTor, I just found this, just for you!

What next? Someone comes up and tells that you can definitely smell the difference between gen and rep?

post-13-1236772085_thumb.jpg

O/S

Quick tell on "most" Rolex reps? - The god damn ticking second hand! A vast majority of reps sold (hence the most) are the $10 Chinatown Canal street Times Square specials, with quartz movements. Probably a thousand of those are sold per every one Noobmariner.

I think the screw problem is that there is one loose in your head.

• Like 1

@Robsa: Sorry man, I definitely wasn't flaming you... it was just general mumbling and my wicked sense of humor... Offshore might be right though. :D There are so many myths about Rolex reps that are untrue. Some of these myths were probably true 4-5 years ago. Today's reps are so much better made. But as always, there are big individual differences between reps.

What next? Someone comes up and tells that you can definitely smell the difference between gen and rep? :D

The days when we actually had "quick tells" are over. Of course reps will always have occasional QC problems though.

A little off topic, I was thinking about this the other day.. Since Rolex are made of 904L steel with a higher nickel content by which some people are actually allergic. Surely these people are like natural born rep spotters? :D

A real Rolex would end up giving them a skin rash, a fake would not as its made of 316.. ! Suppose it depends how quickly this rash comes about :p

By-Tor is right, the "common myth" problems are the ones that are fixed first. If you only know to look for "X" and the general population only knows to look for "X" then the factory will fix "X" and leave A, B, and C wrong as it does not really matter since no one knows to look for them.

A little off topic, I was thinking about this the other day.. Since Rolex are made of 904L steel with a higher nickel content by which some people are actually allergic. Surely these people are like natural born rep spotters? :D

A real Rolex would end up giving them a skin rash, a fake would not as its made of 316.. ! Suppose it depends how quickly this rash comes about :p

They would probably call the fake the real one and the real one fake because the real one would be made from "crap metal" that irritates their skin! Kind of like the crappy brass watches with the plating that came off and made your skin green from a few years back!

I am allergic to Hublot Big Bangs, they make me throw up in my mouth a little.

I think they affect their owners too as they seem to suffer from assholeitis.

I actually LOL'd at this. It's easy to see why people buy them when you go to Geneva and see the ads plastered everywhere, mind you. This was the most prominently advertised watch I saw when I went there earlier this year.

I think the biggest thing is: Many people consider genuine Rolexes something special... that they have something "big" that reps don't. You know... "they MUST be special because they cost $5K", etc.

I can assure you: They're NOT anything special. The visual differences between best reps and genuines are virtually non-existant. Super luminova is pretty much the only thing, and even that is not as dramatic as you might think. When you take huge pictures you can see differences in dial print quality, SEL fitting, etc. But we're talking about extremely small differences that often aren't even visible to the naked eye.

Rep and gen Rolexes are both just automatic watches that keep time, made of cheap and cheaper stainless steel base metal. Something like WM9 v2 looks and feels almost exactly like the gen after you have "treated" the bracelet. I'd say the best Rolex reps are visually in the 95% range, WM9 even closer.

One of the weirdest (and longest living) myths is that brightness of the 904 steel is "easy to spot". I disagree completely... there's no way you can "spot" that unless you have both reps and gens side-by-side, in a direct light exposure. The visual difference between properly treated & polished rep bracelet and gen 904 steel is minimal.

The only meaningful advantage of the 904 steel is in the marketing department. It probably costs a few dollars more (for a ton).

The visual difference between properly treated & polished rep bracelet and gen 904 steel is minimal.

What is the proper way to treat one of these? I ask because I have a WM9 coming eventually.

The only meaningful advantage of the 904 steel is in the marketing department. It probably costs a few dollars more (for a ton).

I read this and realized that I can actually find out the different in this for you. I have a friend who is a WIS and works in engineering of metal products. I will find this out and post what I hear.