When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 168000 'Transitional' Submariner

sconehead

@ Mod's, feel free to move this if it's not on the correct part of the forum.

Well as some of you may know, due to a tax refund I was in the position to have some spare cash and decided to get a gen watch, as with the current market the way it is, there are some great deals to be had.

Which one to buy? When given the choice you just don't know how hard it is to deliberate. I finally decided to go for a Sub as it was my first rep and I

That flat S dial is certainly interesting. And the way the dial has aged is unique.

I don't think there are any matte dial 168000's. Those ended around 8 million plus on the 16800's. Around 1984 or so.

The interesting thing about your watch is the R serial. The 16800, 168000 and 16610 were all produced around the same time with the R serial number.

It's a very nice watch and appears to me to be all original. Congratulations.

Now, that is a post I love.

I'm as happy as you are with your choice Scone, believe it or not.

I sincerely think you made the best choice.

I would have gone with this one if I already had a matte dial.

That is why I went for the 16800.

I think Alligoat is right (again). There were no matte dials for the 168000.

If I remember well, the chronology is 16800 matte, 16800 WG markers, 168000 WG markers, 16610.

Wear it well and enjoy!

Cheers

Stephane

Thanks for the closeup shots of the CG, now I have a good reference to work on mine! :) Great choice and I agree with out that this will hold it's value. Nice to have something that's a little has some special history to it making it more unique than a long run model.

That flat S dial is certainly interesting. And the way the dial has aged is unique.

I don't think there are any matte dial 168000's. Those ended around 8 million plus on the 16800's. Around 1984 or so.

The interesting thing about your watch is the R serial. The 16800, 168000 and 16610 were all produced around the same time with the R serial number.

It's a very nice watch and appears to me to be all original. Congratulations.

Regarding the matte dial, there is a certain amount of confusion on the gen boards about it. This could be a c**k up by a RSC but I doubt it, here's a link,

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...79614&rid=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal=

It makes sense that the previous model had been updated to glossy dials so it should be natural for the newer model to sport them as well. Geneva has confirmed there are matte dials out there but I wonder if this was due to the replacements made because of the early paint/laquer problems...who knows for sure? I don't think Rolex themselves do now... :huh:

They shouldn't need to mess with the dial or the bezel insert. They could insist on changing the hands and if the bezel itself is in rough shape they might want to change it out.

If the lume on the dial is in rough shape or the paint, they might insist on changing the dial or refuse to service it. they don't want stuff flaking off and getting in the movement.

People like Bob Ridley in Ft.Worth do a good job of servicing vintage Rolexes- better than the RSC in that respect.

Rolex Service in UK (London) is much more customer service oriented with respect to vintage owners. If you wish to keep your dial & handset (or insert), simply have that written into your service request (make sure it is clearly stated what you do not want replaced). As long as the lume is not falling off of the dial or handset (which can cause damage to the movement & is why Rolex may suggest replacements), they should not give you any problems. If you want, just ask them to service the movement & replace the seals.

I agree with Freddy. Also, you could try googling Rolex repair in UK and see what comes up. Like the USA, I would figure there a quite a few watchmakers over there doing Rolex servicing, if that's all you need and maybe for a little less.

My neighbor here in the states was a little upset when it cost over $500 to service his Rolex at Tourneau (an AD). I just had one of my 16800's serviced by my watchmaker for $300 and that included two parts, the hack spring and the datewheel gear. I'm realizing the datewheel gear is one of the weak links in the 3035 design.