When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

21J Going bad?

bkwbkw

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone knows of an easy fixfor my new (3 week old) DSSD V.3 Lite - 21J.

I havent dunked it in water, it may have had a few drops of water on the crystal from washing my hands, but that's about it. There's no condensation forming inside the crystal so I dont believe water damage is the culprit here.

My watch is beginning to lose time and the second hand stops ticking randomly. I had thought it was it was due to the crown being screwed in too tightly, because I noticed that the minute I touched the crown the watch began ticking again. So I backed my crown out a half turn and it the second hand still stops randomly.

The last time I noticed this it was 10:30am, it's now 11:43am (according to my PC's clock), but my watch says it's 11:30am which leads me to believe that my watch is still stopping.

Any easy fixes? oil the movement? or is my 21J a dud?

I've ordered a 2813 high beat that should be here sometime next week, but I'd like for this watch to continue working till then because I just received a nato strap and I'm love with it!

Thanks!

Brian

Sorry to here about your problem. Nice looking strap btw. I just resently returned a Pam 217. The watch would stop after 15-30 min. I would go to change the time and it would start running again. The dealer had no problem sending me a new watch. I told him the watch was not running properly the day I recieved it, good thing :huh: I asked him if he knew what the problem was. He said "no not realy, that these things happen for whatever reason". Hopefuly someone will chime in with some helpful advice, if there is such a thing,good luck :) Mike

Sorry to hear about your situation. If it's any consolation, I can empathize. I accidentally damaged the movement of my GMTSub, and now it jams up every 24 hours around midnight. I've got a new movement (and other new parts) on order, so I also know the feeling of wanting to keep wearing it until the new movement arrives, but the worry of it crapping out at any moment :lol: The DSSD looks awesome on the NATO strap, by the way :) Best of luck with the movement transfer :good:

Manually wind the watch 40 turns & then set it (dial up) on a table & keep an eye on it for the next 2 days. If it keeps reasonable time for the next 36+ hours, then the watch is just not receiving sufficient winding from your daily arm movements. If it continues to stop intermittently, then it likely needs a general overhaul (clean, lube & regulation).

Although servicing an asian 21j is probably more expensive than swapping a new 21j in there, at that point it should be good to go for the next 3+ years. If you swap movements, you could have the same problem in a month or so. Or you could get lucky and be fine for a few years. But with a service, at least you know you have a clean and properly oiled movement.

thanks for the responses.

I've done a bunch of research throughout the day and I'll be attempting a movement swap. I had ordered the 2813 28.8k on a whim last week. Perhaps the 2813 inside the watch knew something was up and decided to quit.

Anyways, I believe the second hand is sticking to the one of the other hands. Whenever it stops, it happens to stop right when it crosses another hand.

While I wait for my new movement to arrive, I'll open her up and see if I cant fiddle around with the secondhand.

sorry to hear about your watch.

the same thing happened to my 21j dssd, it just stopped

i wound it 20 times, just like freddy333 said, and observed.

it worked. but i noticed that when i shake the watch, the rotor only turns about three to four times.

i compared it to my 21j sub, it turns so many times and stops only after about 5 secs for a single shake.

so i opened my dssd, turned the rotor, and noticed it touches something on the base.

what i did was, unscrew the rotor, placed a drop of teflon based oil on the bearing, screwed back the rotor, closed it

and shook the watch normally.

well what do you know, it now turn so many times, and it's much less noisy than before.

hope you get yours fixed

thanks