When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new birthday watch!

stilty

Well, I recently celebrated my birthday. I just upgraded to version 4.0.

Anyway, the wife got me a new watch. This baby is a one of a kind!

newwatch.jpg

Unfortunately, it does not tell time very well, but I think I can trade her in for something special.

My wife cleverly made this watch out of 40 bills featuring our 8th Prime Minister, Sir Robert Borden. 1 bill for each year I've been on this earth.

My fellow Canadians will know what this baby is worth.

I think my wife is a keeper! :1a:

oh yeah, this is my 999th post.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Hide the pictures of that or you will see a replica available in a few weeks...

I wish my wife would have cared enough about me to do something like that... we might still be together!

Thanks guys! Yes, she is very creative and artistic. She is a designer by trade. I'm a lucky man.

I'm keeping the Borden dial and bezel as a keepsake. The bracelet will go in the bank until I find something nice to trade for. I was given very specific instructions to get something "vintage". So I better listen to her!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the wife and I were in New York last weekend. With the help of JoJo35, who kindly showed us around, we stopped into Wempe and I did a trade in!

At first I was thinking of going vintage all the way, but after some thought I decided to go for something new. The main reason, I wanted something I could give to one of my children when the time is right. I did some research on some watches based on my budget, and I turned to Omega for the answer. For the most part, one can always get a decent discount off list and I figured I could get the most bang for my buck with an Omega. I had heard about their new in-house movements a few years ago, and decided that whatever I bought had to have their new 8500 movement. What I found was that they finally released the Seamaster Aqua Terra with the new movement! That is what I was going to look for. Some say that the 8500 was designed to give the Rolex 3135 a run. Tough call. But the movement is stunning, and having a display back was key in my search. It features 39 jewels, two mainspring barrels with a 60H power reserve. COSC certified movement. Wempe even ordered me the full COSC certificate so I can see the test results. I'm looking forward to seeing that. Also featured, but I have to confirm if my movement has it, is the new silicon balance spring! Something new for 2009. The finish is second to none. The auto wind assembly is silent and you cannot feel the rotor. Also, to maximize winding efficiency, the rotor is machined from tungsten. I'd imagine that cost a lot. The fit and feel of the bracelet is smooth and very comfortable to wear. No more pins, but now screws to adjust the fit. Nice domed sapphire crystal with double AR. And as a nice bonus, the lume glows BLUE! The dial is silver with white gold markers and white gold hands. The markers and hands feature a polish and brushed finish. Very nice! I love the minute chapter around the outside of the dial. It reminds me of the 1601 datejusts.

Much more I could go on about, but I'll just show some pictures.

atface3.jpg

atface1.jpg

atback.jpg

atdualbarrels.jpg

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for viewing.

This one is the mid-size at 38.5mm. I tried on the full size, and it seemed too big for this style.

Leather strap in my sights already. The gen deployment has really increased in price since I've last looked at them! But will be getting one down the road.

Stephane: Too bad we weren't able to meet up for the watch shop morning. JoJo took us to some great places.

This one is the mid-size at 38.5mm. I tried on the full size, and it seemed too big for this style.

Leather strap in my sights already. The gen deployment has really increased in price since I've last looked at them! But will be getting one down the road.

Stephane: Too bad we weren't able to meet up for the watch shop morning. JoJo took us to some great places.

This is the Aqua Terra I customized for my dad a few years back. The strap was a regular aftermarket strap which I liked the look of, and I just ordered an OEM buckle from the local AD (who don't actually stock Omega anymore :huh: ) It never photographed well, but was a gorgeous watch to wear, and I was hard pushed to actually part with it, so it wasn't easy to hear later that the strap was actually too short for my dad's wrist, and he couldn't wear it :rolleyes: Oh well :D

c27a8ad1.jpg

Well, you know, this stay was more dedicated to the kids...and watch shopping ain't their favourite activity!

Warm regards to you and Madame Stilty B)