When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Homeland .. Share it with Us

lanikai

Still did not had the time and / or weather for a motorcycle trip. Sitting on the balkony instead yesterday, making the evening international with some beer from Spain.

2luqa0i.jpg

what a view CC .... betcha can ride for hours without a stop light to get in the way.. like we can on the island of Hawaii here..

keep the rubber side on the road... B)

Lani

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pictures from Stavanger, on the west coast of Norway. It is a big city by Norwegian standards, a nice mix of old fishing village and modern style.

vaagen2_144595m.jpg

stavanger.jpg

DSC_5705.jpg

DSC_5712.jpg

This is my local watchmaker! :)

urmaker.jpg

Here are some pictures from Stavanger, on the west coast of Norway. It is a big city by Norwegian standards, a nice mix of old fishing village and modern style.

vaagen2_144595m.jpg

This is my local watchmaker! :)

urmaker.jpg

thanks CG !!!..

There is nothing like the smell of the ocean with coffee in the morning !! B)

that's way cool .. to post the pic of your local watchsmith.. seems like he's been in his profession for a very long time..

Cheers

L

Well, I live in Central Florida which is VERY SLOW and there isn't much to see but cows and horses :cry:

BUT i recently went to a :inverted: concert in MIAMI! :band1::tu: Now that's a place to be! :thumbsupsmileyanim::1a:

So, I consider it my HOMELAND now!

PS: i dont have a fancy camera so did the best i could with what i had.

also, saw a guy in the crowd wearing a PAM =)

welcomemiarwg.jpg

miamiddt.jpg

ponorama3rwg.jpg

ultrapanae.jpg

Yesterday my girlfriend and I took the risk of getting wet and went out for a ride to a mountain near our home, the mountain you can see in the pictures from my balcony. We came in bad weather indeed so only a few pictures of the country of fairytales ;)

The last stop before 30 miles of twisty roads begin :)

20qi4r4.jpg

Lot of fun on two and four wheels!

suyjqg.jpg

2a9z1xu.jpg

The way to your childhood memories. You know, H

My hometown ..another picture of downunder, shot taken by me in April 2009

Flinders Street Station >

P1010107.jpg

P1010110.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1000978.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1000832.jpg

Feels like in Milano

Federation Square>

P1010117.jpg

P1010116.jpg

Historic Church Bldg in front of Flinders St >

P1010123.jpg

Yarra River, Southbank > looking towards Eureka Tower (where I work )

P1000815.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Bourke Street Mall >

P1010103.jpg

P1010105.jpg

One of the Ugly building in Melbourne, Elizabeth Street

P1010098.jpg

Thank you moss !!!!

I would very much like to see these same areas during this years Holiday's.. !!

I always think that around the Holiday's these Cities must be dazzling !!!!

thanks for sharing your Homeland !!

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

My second home a little town called Mulranny in Co Mayo in Ireland. A lot of my dads side of the family are up this way so I'm normally there 3 or 4 times a year :)

The view from my grandparents house

mulranny.jpg

image046l.jpg

Beach shots..

image042o.jpg

seahdr.jpg

Views of Croagh Patrick with some info for those who wont to know a bit more! :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croagh_Patrick

image047u.jpg

image030yiz.jpg

and finally....the views from "the Atlantic drive" which is wear you can drive up some hills/mountains and check out the glory of the Atlantic and try to see if you can spot U.S soil :p

image033kgn.jpg

image034.jpg

Excuse the semi poor quality was a camera phone job! Hope you enjoy!

A quick snap taken from the window of one of the offices here at work earlier this year.

I live on the other side of the hills/forest in the distance - about 5 miles from here.

DSC01145.JPG

Great thread with amazing perspectives! :) It's always a pleasure to absorb and immerse in the surroundings of fellow members vicariously through their lenses, be it film or digital.

Haven't stayed put in one place for too long...been travelling and residing around like a Bohemian for greater exposures...

Some of my captures along the journeys of U-Long-Hauls... ;)

Vancouver, Canada

n866670354_2437756_6269.jpg

n866670354_2341020_2718.jpg

Melbourne, Australia

n866670354_2341037_8119.jpg

n866670354_2341040_6504.jpg

n866670354_2341027_43.jpg

n866670354_2341029_5500.jpg

Shanghai, China

n866670354_2334510_8308.jpg

n866670354_2334496_2654.jpg

n866670354_2334495_1866.jpg

n866670354_2334508_7707.jpg

n866670354_2334505_6963.jpg

n866670354_2334493_1187.jpg

Hong Kong, China

n866670354_2341334_9898.jpg

n866670354_2341333_9422.jpg

n866670354_2341341_3673.jpg

n866670354_2341336_592.jpg

n866670354_2931734_2455.jpg

n866670354_2931736_2972.jpg

n866670354_2931754_8377.jpg

n866670354_2341338_1611.jpg

Singapore

n866670354_2437425_3316.jpg

Great thread with amazing perspectives! :) It's always a pleasure to absorb and immerse in the surroundings of fellow members vicariously through their lenses, be it film or digital.

Haven't stayed put in one place for too long...been travelling and residing around like a Bohemian for greater exposures...

Some of my captures along the journeys of U-Long-Hauls... ;)

n866670354_2931754_8377.jpg

Yummmm... Appetizers ... :D

@doug911.. incredible setting ... :)

I am seriously enjoying these pics of your Homes.. !!

Lani

Yesterday my girlfriend and I took the risk of getting wet and went out for a ride to a mountain near our home, the mountain you can see in the pictures from my balcony. We came in bad weather indeed so only a few pictures of the country of fairytales ;)

20qi4r4.jpg

suyjqg.jpg

2a9z1xu.jpg

The way to your childhood memories. You know, H

Everybody knows what diamond Head looks like from the outside..

here's some pics from the dormant crater.

This is the main entrance to the crater.. back in the day when the crater held the FAA .. the facility controlled all air traffic in the Pacific.. it was secured..

I passed this gate hundreds of times.. bringing dinner to my Dad who worked in the crater.. I always imagined as a kid that I was entering a time tunnel and coming out in a different dimension.. what a kid's imagination will hold.. :)

diamondheadcrater003.jpg

I turned around to shoot this.. I grew up straight ahead one block from the beach.. that's KoKo Head on the left

another dormant crater

diamondheadcrater004.jpg

entering the interior of DH.

Your looking at the tip, or the front of DH from the inside

diamondheadcrater005.jpg

This is pretty much what the inside of the crater looks like now.. it used to hold an Army rifle range right in this area.. everything has turned brown in the last month.. heating up for Summer. another shot of the tip of the "Head"..

diamondheadcrater008.jpg

Bunkers still line the rim of the crater .. Fort Ruger was an Army fort that was built around the crater

diamondheadcrater009.jpg

all around the perimeter of the crater are bunkers that was used for ordinance.. and shelters if need be.

diamondheadcrater001b.jpg

The FAA Control Center is gone now, it was located here..... it just disappeared a few months ago.. it was a high stress job as men were responsible for directing air traffic dependant solely on the old radar screens.. before the sophisticated systems were implemented

there was a high rate of alcoholism and high suicide rate.. planes actually collided due to "errors" with controllers. falling asleep at the screen.. "ah shit".. was not words that you wanted to hear...

diamondheadcrater010.jpg

This is "Hale Koa" the branches that were used to build the huts by the ancients..

in high school it was a prerequisite to pass a Hawaiiana course, we had to partake in living in the ancient way for a couple of weeks.. to live off the "Aina" .. (land)

We would have to build the huts like the ancients did.. making rope from coconut husks.. that was the girls responsibility..it is very strong rope .. it takes time to weave the fibers of the coconut husks to make enough twine to use on a hut.. gathering the material to build and make an "Imu" underground oven.. sleeping in the huts.. and playing in the "Makahiki" ancient games (sports)

these trees grow at a very fast rate and are abundant on all the mountain sides.

diamondheadcrater013.jpg

Lauhala.. the tree that provided the material for weaving mats.. and making "Tapa" the paper like material that had a variety of uses.

diamondheadcrater002.jpg

This is the type of rock that is used in the Imu.. Porous.. the size would be about a quarter of what this is.. if the rock is not porous .. it will explode when covered.. believe me .. once I was standing on the Imu when it exploded.. highest vertical jump I ever managed

the smaller rocks are found at the mouths of river beds that lead into the ocean..ya usually have to dive in shallow water for them.

diamondheadcrater011.jpg

I'll fit a wristi in to keep on topic..

diamondheadcrater012.jpg

This is the Wood.. Keawe .. kay~a~vay.. that is used for the fire.. keawe wood charcoal is the best !!

the fire is made to extreme temperature and the rocks are glowing red.. large prongs are used to take the rocks and place them in the pig.. banana stumps tee leaves and banana leaves are used to cover the pig.. then burlap.. and the rest covered with earth..

diamondheadcrater014.jpg

the prep for the Imu takes about a week .. it's a party before the party..

I thought I would post more of what the "Aina" .. land.. means to us.. just around the famous Diamond head can be enough resources to survive and live.. Our land is dwindling due to progress.. but it's important for us to teach the young generation what the Land means to us and how to care for it.

Aloha

Lani B)

one more wristi.. DH light house..

diamondheadcrater015.jpg

20qi4r4.jpg

Chefcook, is it Schauinsland?! Gr8 road stretch!

Cheers,

Mac

Just a sneak peek into my homecountry -Austria (there are more than 8000 pics to be sorted out before I can show how it's like to be in my hometown)

we had this wonderfull sundown just 2 hours ago:

dsc0015wide.jpg

and we have wonderfull roads too:

more pictures soon

greets

Andei

Hey Lani,

great post.

I don't know if you play golf.....but I spent two weeks on Oahu and my greatest memory was making Birdie on 18 at Koolau.

Apparently that is some kinda big deal. I got a hero's welcome at the clubhouse, and they sent me an embroidered golf bag and shoe caddy.

I wish I had known you then. it would have been nice to share a smoke and get the local flavor ......well, from a local:-)