When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The new Milgauss 116400 V Anniversary Model with Green Sapphire Glass

JoJo35

If you take a mechanical watch into a strong magnetic field, some of the parts in the movement become magnetized which causes problems; typically the watch will start to run quite fast and require demagnetization. The hairspring, made of an alloy called Nivarox, is particularly susceptible. A watch is normally considered "antimagnetic" (DIN 8309) if it can ignore 4,800 A/m. This works out to about 60 gauss, or 6% of what the new Rolex is rated for. Rolex achieved the superior rating of the Milgauss by encasing the movement in soft iron, which is known as a Faraday cage. They also introduced a new hairspring material, Parachrom-Blu, which is unaffected by magnetism. Quite an achievement!

The Milgauss model has an interesting history. It was introduced in 1954 for people who worked in environments with strong magnetic fields: power plants, research labs, etc. As you might suspect, that's a pretty small market, further crowded by the IWC Ingenieur, the Patek Philippe Amagnetic, and the Omega Railmaster, all of which had similar magnetic resistance. The Milgauss was the slowest seller in the Rolex lineup, and was sold for about 20 years before being removed from their catalog.

The case of the gen Milgauss pictured below features the desirable smooth bezel, and polished center links on the Oyster bracelet. The bracelet also features the ingenious new Easylink extension system, permitting an instantaneous small adjustment to the bracelet circumference - most useful when a temperature change causes the wearer's wrist to expand. Case is water resistant to 100 meters with a twin-lock crown.

The movement is the automatic winding Rolex Caliber 3131 with the soft iron Faraday Cage construction and the brand new blue Parachrom hairspring which is insensitive to magnetic forces and also more shock resistant than previous hairsprings. Rolex really makes phenomenal movements, which are extremely rugged, serviceable and accurate. This movement is a C.O.S.C. Certified Chronometer.

The dial is very well done... color is black, with luminous hour markers, and "MILGAUSS" in orange letters. The three o'clock, six o'clock and nine o'clock markers are orange colored. The orange seconds hand is a lightening bolt, which is a design throwback to the first Milgauss reference 6541. There are also orange arabic numerals at the periphery of the dial at the five minute positions. The green sapphire crystal enhances the luminosity of the dial in dark lighting.

Here's some pics, enjoy :)

milgauss021.jpg

milgauss008.jpg

milgauss001.jpg

Flaw? you'd need a loupe to see it?

I've put mine against the real deal and from an "eyeballing" point of view it is pretty spot on.

Even on gens that have this feature, the whole idea is not being able to see it. Thus, if you can see it without a loupe on your rep milgauss, that's a big error; especially if the gen doesn't even an etched crown.

For the green sapphire, I believe it was determined that the crown etch at 6:00 was the contributing cause for crystals breaking and hence was omitted. That's why the newer releases and early pieces with crystals replaced are sans etch :) All speaking in temrs of gen, of course...

Flaw? you'd need a loupe to see it?

I've put mine against the real deal and from an "eyeballing" point of view it is pretty spot on.

On the most reps I can see the loupe with my bare eye and therefore call the etch a flaw ;)

Same with both rep milgauss I've seen yet...

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

One question. Do the orange markers glow? I looked at a gen, but wasn't able to see if they did glow... and the salesman kinda freaked out when I tried to get get some darkness by putting the watch under my jacket to check! LOL! We tried to cover the dial with out hands, but that did not work.

How about a gen group shot?

What a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

One question. Do the orange markers glow? I looked at a gen, but wasn't able to see if they did glow... and the salesman kinda freaked out when I tried to get get some darkness by putting the watch under my jacket to check! LOL! We tried to cover the dial with out hands, but that did not work.

How about a gen group shot?

Stilty, you would love the lume on this watch. The white makers glow green, and the orange markers glow blue B)

It's amazing how the worldwide economy has effected gen prices. Check out this FS thread, it's not even two years ago:

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tre...70731&rid=0

I love this watch! I bought a 21J version from Stan. It doesn't have the anti-magnetic cover in it, but also doesn't have the etched crown. I just got a high-beat movement in to swap into the watch. I wish the rep lume glowed different colors like the gen!

Does anybody know if the rep farraday case is in fact effective to the same or similar degree to resist magnetization as the gen??

I doubt the rep makers are skilled at building real faraday cases/cages. It may filter ONE type of wavelength. Also most faraday installations require grounding.

A Faraday cage/case will not shield its contents from static magnetic fields. However, rapidly-changing magnetic fields create electric fields. The conductors cancel the electric fields and therefore the changing magnetic fields as well. The wall materials' thickness and skin depth set the frequency at which the cage/case suppresses electromagnetic fields. Static or slowly-changing magnetic fields penetrate the case/cage; rapidly-changing ones do not.

Long story short, you are probably safe from radio waves, but not an old school magnet. The rep cases about as good as the shielding on a coax cable used to connect your cable box.

The lowest priced brand new Milgauss I have seen in the past 2 months was around USD $ 6000-6200.

This is indeed a classical modern Rolex, gotta love the green sapphire. One of those pieces that is on my shopping list for quite sometime. Been observing the prices and hopefully will be able to snag one up.

Wear this Gaussy in good health and spirits JJ! :)

Does anybody know if the rep farraday case is in fact effective to the same or similar degree to resist magnetization as the gen??

Just to clarify that the soft irons cover is not a faraday cage. Its use is to protect from magnetic (static) field where a faraday cage protect electromagnetic (varying) field’s which should not pose problems for a mechanical watch.

The cover need to be made from a highly permeable material to magnetic field so the magnetic forces lines go through the cover instead of the movement. Like the current in a circuit goes trough the path with less resistance. So if the material is the right type then the rep protection should be the same but then I doubt the movement will be as magnetic proof as the gen as some magnetic field still goes trough the protection.

Long story short, you are probably safe from radio waves, but not an old school magnet. The rep cases about as good as the shielding on a coax cable used to connect your cable box.

Thanks!

Just to clarify that the soft irons cover is not a faraday cage. Its use is to protect from magnetic (static) field where a faraday cage protect electromagnetic (varying) field

Okay, $6000...

hmmmm... still some time to go on this auction and lots of room for snipers.

Anyway, would you buy from some unknown ebay seller with ZERO feedback when it comes to watches, or from a reputable AD and have full paperwork and a warranty?

Keep in mind that there still is value in where you buy something. [censored], believe it or not, there is value in the country code on your papers? And it does look a lot cooler when your papers have a "5th Avenue NYC" dealer stamp as opposed to say.... Bellis Fair Mall! Or papers filled out with someone else's name from Irvine, CA.

JoJo, when you refer to the micro adjustment on the bracelet do you mean like the DSSD of like a smaller divers extention, i picked one of these up from Vikkyrob at the GTG with a gen ETA and it has the crown etched @6 so minus 1 point, only the white markers glow minus another, and it has a small divers type extention is that how your extention works?

Apart from that the wife loves it, she has been on about one for a wehile but always said not to buy here another watch, but when she had it in her hand at the GTG it was hard for here to say no.

I love this watch! I bought a 21J version from Stan. It doesn't have the anti-magnetic cover in it, but also doesn't have the etched crown. I just got a high-beat movement in to swap into the watch. I wish the rep lume glowed different colors like the gen!

Wondering.... Is that a straightforward swap? Or do you need new hands etc? Having one 21j on the way myself I would like to swap to a clone 2836-2.