When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of Rep vs Entry Level Gen

Mark Eleven

I would say-- still no comparison, since even the ETA's are clones.

Seiko makes one of the most bullet proof auto's I have ever owned.

IMHO the finer details like shock protection, water resistance, and initial build are overlooked. Perhaps dropping a genuine movement that has been serviced and properly lubed will give you a solid watch.

iv bought a rep panerai which i should be receiving soon but im also out for a SS strapped watch.

i was looking at a couple of seiko's but i just could not justify the price tag

maybe i will get an obscure brand rep so i can have a nice watch but no daily discussion of rep Vs gen

It all depends on which gen and which rep.

For instance, the SOSF is as good a quality as my gen SMP overall, and nearly as good as the gen Planet Ocean I had. With gens, a lot of it has to do with the psychology of owning it, rather than the actual quality of the watch. I would even go as far to say that quite a few reps are on a par with brands such as Omega, Breitling, Rolex and Tag.

In terms of build quality, the reps really aren't that far behind. In terms of QC, movement reliability and water resistance they still trail, but a service and pressure test will sort that out.

It all depends on which gen and which rep.

For instance, the SOSF is as good a quality as my gen SMP overall, and nearly as good as the gen Planet Ocean I had. With gens, a lot of it has to do with the psychology of owning it, rather than the actual quality of the watch. I would even go as far to say that quite a few reps are on a par with brands such as Omega, Breitling, Rolex and Tag.

In terms of build quality, the reps really aren't that far behind. In terms of QC, movement reliability and water resistance they still trail, but a service and pressure test will sort that out.

+1

My 'Ultimate' PAM111h is one of the best watches I've ever owned - rep or gen. Certainly superior to similarly priced watches from Rotary & Tissot that I've owned in the past.

I am amazed wih the build quality of reps nowadays in fact b16a2's comment of owning gens being psychological is true. The diference in owing reps and gens is really in your head especially for reps such as the SOSF, UPOs, Skylands....

But for some reps such as PP, AP, VC and some IWCs, nothing beats the real thing.

You choose your own posion, mon ami

Well ALL I can say is this:

Wanted to buy a gen Seamaster, bond edition, blue one for many many years...Finally when I had the oppurtunaty to buy a gen, and that is after owning a lot of reps I was REALLY, REALLY disapointed. Not that it was a bad watch...its really nice BUT I thought it would be a "wow" felleing having a gen. Now sadly that is not the fact. My Breitling skyland felt "more" of a watch. I mean the reps, Skyland, Steelfish and so on are great in build quality

After a few month i decide to get rid of the blue SMP and bought myself a black bond edition, automatic......AND when i told my girlfriend that watch costed around 3000$ she asked me if I was retarded??? Thats true. Also there no "wow" feeling. So that one is SOLD as well.

Of course...you can not compare with feeling that u wearing a gen contra rep.....BUT if u dont mind wearing rep, AND if u buy a good rep. MY personal opinion is that u get a HELL alot for money spend on a rep.

Nowdays I have Seawolf, rep....AND I can tell, by fact, that its better than my SMP....of course its not gen...BUT build quality is better and the watch feels more of a watch.. I dont want to start a fight with guys telling me this and that about history and so on of gen....THAT is just my opinion

I LOVE reps...good ones of course...and I prefer ETA movements....AND if U stick with that...U can have as good watch as the gen, if not better? hehe

I've not been around for long and only bought my first rep a few weeks ago, but for what its worth I have to say I was astounded by the quality of the Steelfish I bought from a member here. Despite having read god knows how many reviews by people who obviously know a hell of a lot about watches, I never really believed a rep could be as good as this SOSF actually is before I handled it myself.

I tried on the gen at an AD in town before I got it and I've been back afterwards (no, not while wearing the rep) to try it on again and I can say cathegorically that I wouldn't know the difference. Granted there are slight differences, but the gen has no more of a quality feel than the one I'm wearing. $2000 for the gen or $200 for this one? Easy choice.

I bought my first rolex, a Sub TT in 1991. It looks like new today, especially after returning from the Rolex spa for service and polish. Except the cost of the spa treatments would buy me a couple of Breitling reps members are talking about.

The interesting question I think, is what will the reps of today look and perform like in 10 years. Some say, who cares, if it breaks or gets damaged, get something new, it is certainly an option built into the economics of owning reps vs. gens.

I agree with the comments about the difference is mainly in your head, all other things being equal (studied economics, some may know that ubiquitous phrase). It gratifies the ego, I can afford to wear an expensive piece of man jewellry. But reps give a similar thrill, I can enjoy the experience of wearing an expensive, beautiful time piece, WITHOUT THE EXPENSE! Who doesn't love a bargain, after all (only very rich people who by habit don't look at or flinch at 4+ figures for their pleasures (clothes, vacations, wine collections, and of course, watches).

The rest of us can decide for ourselves what tickles our fancy, and wrists!

Entry level gens like the Seiko are far more reliable then our reps

Now a days MBW's are shipped with copied ETA movements so for 400 bucks you still get a copied movement.

I've got 2 Seiko which run great.

Carpe Diem

Cats

The quality of entry level gens is far superior to reps (even high end reps).

Dont agree on this, i would leave seiko out of the equeasion (spelling) but the INGY, SOSF, UPO ect are in the main very good watches and easily as good as any invicta, citizen auto and as good if you get a good one as a tissot ect! but there are some very cheep gens out there that are absolutly superb if you get away from the main names, look some of the timefactors uk watches like the speedbird! taht can be had for a little over the price of a rep and with a garentee. The smaller manufactures is where it is at, quality at a good price.

It all boils down to: "How are you going to use the watch?" I wear my reps primarily for lite-duty. And would not consider for activities mentioned below. This is where the gen Seiko, Citizen, even Invicta will still have the edge. When 100m and 200m mean something.

As I have commented before on other threads-- the below watch, as been on multiple scuba dives, surfing, snowboarding, on & off road motorcycling, desert camping with temperature swings from freezing to over 100'F. This watch cost me $400 in 1996 (that's $30.00 per year) . The most reliable watch I have ever owned.

img3634.jpg

I owned a Seiko Orange Monster and it was nice... but I've owned 2 Invictas back in early 2000's. I don't know how the quality is nowadays but those two Invictas were the worst watches I've ever owned.

After 2 weeks of ownership the winding crown simply dropped off when I was trying to set the time. The other one had a leaky crystal and a hour marker got loose. Maybe I was just unlucky but those two watches were total crap and could be compared to $50 reps, imho.

If reps don't have initial QC problems they can be very well built watches. Swiss SFSO comes to mind... I would never compare my crappy Invictas to it.

I think guys the question boils down to statistics and numbers.

How often it happens.

Of course you can get a Tissot. Hamilton , Invicta etc with problems and ...... of course you gen get reps without a single problem.

I would say that out of 15 or 20 low end gens you might get 1 or 2 with problems.

Out of 15 or 20 reps most likely you will get 8 to 10 with some sort of problems.

QA is the key factor there.

Most of the gens have a kind of a QA.

Almost none of the reps have any kind of QA (or they have a very very basic one).

QC problems are definitely true.

But out of my 50+ reps I've only had a few with problems. My entry level gens (Seikos) have all been perfect and I believe Japanese watches in general have good QC...

But I'm not buying that Invicta, Sandoz, Alpha type of cheap Chinese watches have any kind of better QC than reps. Everything on the Invictas (the Submariner rip-offs) felt cheaper than on the best reps.

You can measure QC (quality control) but it's quite difficult to measure the actual build quality without laboratory equipment. How do you do it? My gen Rolex has never missed a minute. But neither has my 20 year old $20 Casio digital alarm clock. :D

The Seiko 5 and other auto Seiko's are great watches. Those I think are great pieces for any collection and great for anybody looking for a tool watch.

I agree with BT on the Invicta, Sandoz, and Alpha's. I just think for the most part they seem cheaper by design and feel. I would much better have a copy of great design, than an almost-homage to the same design that has had the company's own interpretation of style and fashion added to it.

QC problems are definitely true.

But out of my 50+ reps I've only had a few with problems. My entry level gens (Seikos) have all been perfect and I believe Japanese watches in general have good QC...

But I'm not buying that Invicta, Sandoz, Alpha type of cheap Chinese watches have any kind of better QC than reps. Everything on the Invictas (the Submariner rip-offs) felt cheaper than on the best reps.

+1

There are many kinds of entry-level gens that can not be considered as a unit. I wouldn't even call Invictas gens. My 1 Invicta, and the Invictas that friends have had are all garbage. Seikos, on the other hand, have been nothing but good to me. As I've said before on this board, my Orange Monster can go for weeks without getting more than 30 seconds off. I love my reps, but if I'm going swimming, I'm wearing a Seiko diver and nothing else. Also, I want to put in a good work for Hamilton. I have a khaki chrono which has never disappointed. They can be had inexpensively online, and are really great values. In fact, a Jazzmaster is likely the next watch I get. Just get the right watch for the right situation.