When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The four most convincing replicas

Packard

An always actual question. Asked many times, but it usually attracts many posts nevertheless. We never get tired of discussing "what are the best replicas?" :)

These are mine suggestions:

1. Omega Seamaster Pro Chronograph

2. Breitling Skyland Chronograph

3. Rolex Air-King / Explorer 1

4. Tag Heuer Link (non-chrono)

The SFSO falls on the pearl, and a dial/ lume markers which are not as nice as the gen. I think the Air-King/ Explorer 1 is slightly bigger than the gen, but I would never notice this unless in a side by side comparison. The Seamaster, Skyland and Link... I would have difficulties spotting a rep even if I had it in my hands. :)

I have to agree. Some may yawn but this is a topic thta will always attract replica collectors.

In mylimited experience I have to mention

a) Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (the original 37 m model, not the monsster contemporaries)

B) Explorer 1 (even the cheap $128 CN movement are remarkably well made)

c) The IWC Ingenieur

d) Early GMT Panerai

An always actual question. Asked many times, but it usually attracts many posts nevertheless. We never get tired of discussing "what are the best replicas?" :)

These are mine suggestions:

1. Omega Seamaster Pro Chronograph

The SFSO falls on the pearl, and a dial/ lume markers which are not as nice as the gen. I think the Air-King/ Explorer 1 is lightly bigger than the gen, but I would never notice this unless in a side by side comparison. The Seamaster, Skyland and Link... I would have difficulties spotting a rep even if I had it in my hands. :)

I think these types of posts are interesting, if only to gauge how far the rep industry has come.

The topic of 'most convincing' or 'best replica' is a constantly moving target as factories improve their quality and rate of production. This is an ever evolving industry... As such, the list of 'best' is likely not to remain static.

Personally, I don't have any thoughts on 'most convincing out of the box rep' as I can never leave a watch alone anyways. They all have their faults no matter how minimal. The day when reps are perfect is the day I'll probably be bored ^_^

I don't think I've really handled enough reps of different brands to really have a personal opinion, but from what I've heard people saying, the Rolex Datejusts can be the most convincing as there are so many variations, it's impossible to pin them down...

From the photos I've seen, I'd definitely say that the Ebel Discovery 1911 is on a par with the gen, and I'd say the Rolex Explorer II is pretty close as well :) Anything else, I think potentially needs some kind of modification to be 'passable', so not fair to judge them with the watches which are close 'out of the box' :)

I would have to go with the Rolex Explorer 1 reps as the best out of the box. As somebody said before me even the cheaper Cn movement version comes with a good case and bracelet, The dial and hands are the weak link on most Rolex reps so if put beside a gen the Exp 1 rep will be outed. As a stand alone rep they are good. Build a Franken with only a gen dial and hands and the Exp 1 is then really very good.

From the photos I've seen, I'd definitely say that the Ebel Discovery 1911 is on a par with the gen, and I'd say the Rolex Explorer II is pretty close as well :)

+1 for Ebel Discovery. It's the most accurate replica watch I've seen. CHS Explorer II (black Noob version without engraving) is definitely in the top 15 overall but the fat default crown is just awful. It needs the gen crown modification to be awesome so it doesn't quite get to the top 5. Here you can see Jmarin's Noob ExpII compared to gen. The cg shape ain't 100% but still pretty amazing don't you think?

WM9 Sub and Yachtie are pretty good as well. Add black ExpII & ExpI on the list and you have the top 4 OTB Rolex replicas.

PS: The old version of SMP Chrono (that chrgod mentioned) is awesome. With gen bezel insert it'd be just unbelievable.

The SFSO falls on the pearl, and a dial/ lume markers which are not as nice as the gen. I think the Air-King/ Explorer 1 is slightly bigger than the gen, but I would never notice this unless in a side by side comparison. The Seamaster, Skyland and Link... I would have difficulties spotting a rep even if I had it in my hands. :)

I would think that the blob lume dots that are not lined up inside of the lines on the Skyland would be far easier to catch than the pearl on the SOSF. I compared my SOSF side by side to a gen and the lume markers on the dial are pretty good on the rep, well on the rep I recieved at least.

I think these types of posts are interesting, if only to gauge how far the rep industry has come.

The topic of 'most convincing' or 'best replica' is a constantly moving target as factories improve their quality and rate of production. This is an ever evolving industry... As such, the list of 'best' is likely not to remain static.

You are correct. The list today is totaly different than the list from a year ago, as such the list a year or even 6 months from now will be different from the one we are all thinking about now.

+1 for Ebel Discovery. It's the most accurate replica watch I've seen. CHS Explorer II (black Noob version without engraving) is definitely in the top 15 overall but the fat default crown is just awful. It needs the gen crown modification to be awesome so it doesn't quite get to the top 5. Here you can see Jmarin's Noob ExpII compared to gen. The cg shape ain't 100% but still pretty amazing don't you think?

WM9 Sub and Yachtie are pretty good as well. Add black ExpII & ExpI on the list and you have the top 4 OTB Rolex replicas.

PS: The old version of SMP Chrono (that chrgod mentioned) is awesome. With gen bezel insert it'd be just unbelievable.

You're absolutely right, that's the only thing which enabled me to tell which was which, and even then, only because it was a side by side comparison. If it was a case of seeing them independently of each other, I don't think I'd be able to. A fine watch for sure :good:

Anything with mods: pick any of Ubi or Kruzer's watches ;)

Any "out-of-the-box", then:

1. Franck Muller Casablanca solid 18 karat gold;

2. Franck Muller Long Island case, Crazy Color Dreams;

3. Panerai "Ferrari" grey dial 2-register chronograph;

4. Omega SMP Chrono.

Honourable mentions to:

FM Conquistador with ETA 2892 (possibly out of production)

FM Vegas

Breitling Chrono Avenger (out of production, titanium)

Breitling Avenger Seawolf (out of production, titanium)

Breitling Super Ocean Steelfish

PAM027 with ETA 2892 and SOPROD Power Reserve module (out of production)

Corum Admiral's Cup Competition (non-chrono in titanium)

Porsche Design Flat 6 Chrono

Omega SMP (out of production)

etc.

(1) Gram Oversize Diver (2) Panerai Flyback 1950 (3) Ulysse Nardin Maxie Marine (4) Breitling SW :) Mike

Panerai Flyback? No way, there's no flyback functionality, an instant giveaway.

Which sellers still have the old SMP Chrono? I think the difference is the raised logo and red dial writing right?

Also for a BK WM9 Submariner... how could you even tell without opening the movement? The M Serial have the correct rehaut the Z serial doesn't have the rehaut engraving so is even more convincing, BK uses clark crystals and a better crown. I guess the only tell I can think of is the clark crystal which doesn't have the crown logo. They're even made to weigh almost exactly the same. I'm curious though, for the Rolex experts, given a Z Serial BK WM9 Sub, would you be able to tell if it's fake or not without opening it?

If you are including WM9s, then we can include:

Spinmaster's DW cased Valjoux 72 Daytonas

Spinmaster's DW cased Asian 7760 Daytonas

J&W's Explorer 2's and vintage Daytonas etc. (if you really want to drop $3-4k on a rep with genuine movement and parts).

Technically these are "out-of-the-box" as you don't do any further work.

given a Z Serial BK WM9 Sub, would you be able to tell if it's fake or not without opening it?

That's easy.

All one needs to do is listen to the sound the rotor makes. That's an instant tell as ETAs use ball bearings; Rolex 3135's use an axle rotor. That and the direction the crown rotates to set the time.

Aside from that, hands, dial, crown position/height relative to the case etc.

Been there, done that with a well modded Z serial WM9 (one of the originals direct from George)...

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg