When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The four most convincing replicas

Packard

The GMT IIc is good but way easy to tell unfortunately. For me the two most obvious tells are that the bezel has either thicker or thinner numerals, depending on the version and the rehault engraving is off (the letters line up with the minute markers, but they don't in the reps).

I disagree with Freddy a bit here as well. The GMTIIc replica is very good but not quite up to the same level as the WM9 watches. The wrong rehaut engraving is a big flaw and the bezel looks very different on the gen. The numbers aren't exact but that's a small flaw compared to the shine... the gen bezel is much shinier and has more "greyish" or "brownish" tone.

I only noticed it when I saw the gen in the flesh just recently. It's not that the Noob factory didn't make a good job with this rep... they certainly did... but I think the material on the gen is so unique that it's pretty much impossible to replicate properly. That symmetrical mistake on the rehaut engraving is unforgivable though... and the biggest reason I sold mine (besides the fact that I found the whole watch a bit boring).

It's very respectable rep overall, though. Maybe a top 5 Rolex rep... but definitely not even top 20 overall (imho).

1a.jpg

Anything with mods: pick any of Ubi or Kruzer's watches ;)

Any "out-of-the-box", then:

1. Franck Muller Casablanca solid 18 karat gold;

2. Franck Muller Long Island case, Crazy Color Dreams;

3. Panerai "Ferrari" grey dial 2-register chronograph;

4. Omega SMP Chrono.

I have the solid Casablanca and took it to the only AD in the area, and they gave me an appraisal for a genuine!

I think my choices for the most convincing are:

1. Solid 18k Casablanca

2. Pam 196 with Swiss ETA

3. Omega GMT (I have both dials one rep, one gen. I can't tell the two apart, aside from the color)

4. TAG Tiger Woods Professional Golf with the goofy strap closure

• 6 months later...

I have the solid Casablanca and took it to the only AD in the area, and they gave me an appraisal for a genuine!

I think my choices for the most convincing are:

1. Solid 18k Casablanca

2. Pam 196 with Swiss ETA

3. Omega GMT (I have both dials one rep, one gen. I can't tell the two apart, aside from the color)

4. TAG Tiger Woods Professional Golf with the goofy strap closure

what, you took it to an AD? oh my god!! OH MY GOD!!!!!! OH LORD!!!! YOU CANNOT DO THAT!!! OH.....i think I'M FAINTING!!!!

did you really do that??? oh no!!! no! please say it isn't true! please say you are kidding!!!!

you took it to an AD???????? no! omg.

didn't you know you can't do this? did you not read the forum rules????? don't you know you could get killed for doing that? or at least put into prison????

I would disagree with the cheapo Explorer 1, but agree with the swiss eta/clone eta Explorer 1. The crown is the dead giveaway. Even the swiss/clone version is a teeny weeny bit off, but way more convincing than the asian piece of crap

i'll be honest, i am pretty surprised to see all the references to the explorer i as being a top notch out of the box rep. i haven't heard much chatter on the forum about explorer i's, but then again it is a little small for my taste.

would somebody mind providing a link to the versions you are referring to above?

thanks in advance :victory:

deltatahoe

IMO.. A good number of the "Super reps" are brands that are not very high on most peoples radar..

they're not ultra expensive.. they do not have the "Rolex" name..

Are affordable for the average income...

And let's face it most want the watches that are out of reach for the average person..

the Daytona's,.....The Panerai six figure vintages,.....et all

That being said... the reps that are really spot on..imo.. (as far as "spot on" can get with reps) won't get a lot of attention..Why ??? because you can buy the genuine.

If we assume that all here want the replications that cannot be bought for less than a bank load of cash.. ergo.. the hobby evloves into modding and genuine parts to franken the rep..

And with rep boards being so eclectic as far as geography and personalities.. the one common denominator we can all agree on is the grail watches that we desire ..

But this hobby or rep collecting is so addictive .. because now all the watches that we desire are within reach.. but it now becomes finding ways to improve on the basic case etc...

Top 5 ??? .. top 100 if you ask me.. :lol:

AC/Lani

I don't have enough to make a list, but with the few I own, I've got to commend the SOH out of the box

Oh, and I like those posts, peeps like me can make lists from more experienced opinions and go suss them out.

One thing I'd REALLY like to know is what collection king Lani^ thinks is the most accurate from the cartel, no mods, no consideration for taste - just straight OOB most accurate replication...