When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going Deep

freddy333

My nearly complete tropical 6536/1

0691.jpg

0791.jpg

0461.jpg

1091.jpg

• Gen 1030 calibre
  • Gen Brevet 6mm crown/tube
  • Gen tritium pearl
  • Ming Quay dial
  • Yuki case
  • MY bezel (modded for enhanced patination)/insert & hands (modded for enhanced patination)
  • Corvus RAF-style 'Bond' strap (may be swapped for gen 7206 (rivet) or 6241 (jubilee)

That is unbelievable!!!! The dial...bezel...wow.

A true piece of art.

Wear that one well.

Thank you.

looking good freddy :tu:

personally i think an aged insert would look more in line with the rest of the watch...

aged insert or not though -- what a beauty :wub:

ps, just sent you a PM about another project ;)

I debated performing some enhanced patination on the insert, but, because it is plastic, easily broken & relatively expensive, I decided against it.

p.s. Got it (will reply soon).

It's beautiful! Such good work .. :shock:

Thank you.

Out of curiosity, what is the mod you performed on the insert to increase patination? It's seeing your projects which inspired my own efforts to such things :)

Thank you (ALL) for the thoughtful compliments.

I did not do anything to the insert, only the dial (I forgot to indicate that above), hands & bezel.

Dial - I smeared a very light coating of black shoe polish around the area of the center hole, being careful to avoid the gilt lettering. The shoe polish gives the dial a hint of the dial's 'original' (black) color.

Hands - My usual recipe - lume treated with iodine & then hands baked in the oven (along with some scrumptious chocolate chip cookies) until the desired result is achieved.

Bezel - Same as above, but without the iodine.

Very interesting, a Yuki case and dial. Didn't realize he carried that model.

He did not carry it until I requested it. This case is apparently his 1st 6536/1. And for anyone contemplating a similar project based on this case, I would consider, instead, using 1 of the Silix Sub cases that I used for the 6542 project. The reason is that Yuki's case, while it does have better engravings than the Silix cases, is cut a bit too large so the dial just barely fits without falling through. I have been going back & forth with Yuki over this (they maintain that their case is correct & my (27mm) dial is too small (the gen is also 27mm, so make of that what you will), but I suspect there is little they will do about it. I think I could have achieved the same thing using a Silix case at less than 1/3 the cost of the Yuki case ($650).

Thank you (ALL) for the thoughtful compliments.

I did not do anything to the insert, only the dial (I forgot to indicate that above), hands & bezel.

Dial - I smeared a very light coating of black shoe polish around the area of the center hole, being careful to avoid the gilt lettering. The shoe polish gives the dial a hint of the dial's 'original' color.

Hands - My usual recipe - lume treated with iodine & then hands baked in the oven (along with some scrumptious chocolate chip cookies) until the desired result is achieved.

Bezel - Same as above, but without the iodine.

He did not carry it until I requested it. This case is apparently his 1st 6536/1. And for anyone contemplating a similar project based on this case, I would consider using 1 of the Silix Sub cases that I used for the 6542 project. The reason is that Yuki's case, while it does have better engravings than the Silix cases, is cut a bit too large so the dial just barely fits without falling through. I have been going back & forth with Yuki over this (he maintains that his case is correct & my (27mm) dial is too small (the gen is also 27mm, so make of that what you will), but I suspect there is little they will do about it. I think I could have achieved the same thing using a Silix case at less than 1/3 the cost of the Yuki case ($650).

That's interesting to know about the shoe polish, the effect is most impressive :) I just noticed, that the strap is 18mm, as Connery-Canon :) It's the little touches like that which make you the master :good:

I've been away on vacation and missed this post until now. Wow, the watch looks superb, and the dial is gorgeous. Where did you find such a fine example freddy?

Thanks, JoJo. The dial is from Ming Quay in Saigon (I mistakenly referenced Yuki when I posted the thread, but I just corrected/updated it).

They certainly do make some good watch parts in Vietnam

003fol1.jpg

Nice Freddy, very nice. Bar-raising once again.

Is that a MY round font insert I see? Understandable you don't want to bleach it, but there are milder, more controlled methods to achieve the look you want.

p.s. who's this Ming Quai when he's at home - feel free to email me if you don't want to post it openly ;)