When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Post your favorite wrist shots

By-Tor

Maybe you have noticed that I haven't taken many watch photos lately. I haven't had time, which is the main reason... but I'm not that inspired with studio photos in the lightbox setup anymore. I guess it's safe to say that I'm (at least temporarily) bored with them.

And they don't offer much challenge anymore... there's so much you can do when you figure out the lighting and post processing tricks. When I started doing watch reviews I spent HOURS to get 5-6 technically good photos. It was very hard but that's exactly why it was fun and fascinating. There was a genuine challenge. Now I can pretty much shoot all pictures in one take (10 minutes) and they're all usable. I'm not saying this because I'm bragging about it, just explaining why they don't inspire me any more.

As you become a better photographer (and better with PS) your photos tend to become a bit "sterile". The photo might be technically good but the watches aren't in their natural evinronment in artificial lighting. They're also plasticy "glamour photos" which aren't completely realistic. However, I love glamour photos. But read on...

I love seeing watch photos and discussing watch photography. My friends Bazz, Pugs, Ubi and many others have always shared our techniques and secrets. We used to discuss photography with Neil too (when he was still around).

However, the biggest photo inspiration for me here has been RobbieG.

Why? Because his wrist shot and natural light photos are completely different from mine. We always shot lightbox shots. But Robbie was the first one who made "glamour wrist shots" and Photoshopped them. When I mean "Photoshopped" I mean that he cleaned them up, but didn't "fake" anything and the end result looked very authentic (no pun). That's what the goal SHOULD be... use PS to make the watch look exactly like it would look in real life.

I never paid attention to natural light photos and my wrist shots have always been average at best. I'm only good with my setup and the studio pictures. But lately I've been trying to take some inspiring wrist shots.

They're much more fascinating than studio pics because you'll see the watch in its natural evinronment: On someone's wrist. :D

I'll start. This is a tribute to Robbie, who's blue genuine SFSO wrist shot is the best and most attractive wrist shot I have seen, and pushed me to think about the gen purchase. My SFSO is just a rep (so far) but it tries to capture the same magic.

1.jpg

Let's try to get some really, really attractive wrist shots. I'm sure you all have them already... so post your favorites and special ones. New or old shots, doesn't matter. And remember... this is not a competition... just an excuse to see more lovely watches.

One per post to avoid "flooding". Quality over quantity. Only the very special ones. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like to think I can take halfway decent pictures, but whenever I try to get a wristshot there's ghosts in the machine! I can't get a good one to save my life.

Edit: One of the tells I immediately look for on SFSO is the end links and yours look gen. Did you reprofile them? Excellent watch, excellent picture.

This is one of my favourite wristies I've ever taken. I'm not sure whether I'm seeing something special about it that just isnt really there since its my own work.

3833790237_e12616f96a_o.jpg

The idea was to really give the truest to life impression of the watch and its settings. I wanted the photo to show how my eye really sees it, exactly how it sees it. I liked showing the whole arm in the photo as you would glimpse at your watch in the daytime, in its real, true environment, with a size relative to how you would view it in person. On my 19" 1280x1024 monitor it displays at almost 1:1.

The other really important factor for me was to really capture the clarity of the GMT IIC, a feature that I rarely see captured in pictures of it, including my own. When you look at this watch on a sunny day, the whole dial just has the most immense 'jumping out' feature. It's different to AR, and something which I find superior to AR, the jet black with pure white markers and the crystal that Rolex use is just truely unreal. There is absolutely no distortion and the way it handles glare is incredible. That along with the AR'd cyclops make for extremely clear legibility and capturing that whole sense of contrast was really what I was going for.

Yes of course. Freddy's photos are great and often very clever.

But this was supposed to be a wrist shot thread where members post their own. :whistling:

OK, my bad. I misinterpreted your intent. I did take a small liberty however, since his shot was posted in a wristcheck thread. Here's "my" favorite wristie

Pam127_01.jpg

Great stuff guys. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@ammandel: Exactly my point. The blue rep SFSO, for example, is a tricky to capture well (without motion) because the strong AR makes the dial look sometimes very blue, sometimes very "violet blue", sometimes more cyan and sometimes simply dark/grey.

Gen SFSO dial is very similar in that sense, but it reflects colors a bit differently. That's why studio shots don't always tell the full story.

I also love the SFSO bracelet which is amazingly cool (despite being very simple in design). Bracelet is very important to present in the photo properly. It's quite easy in the lightbox where you can control the exposure but not necessarily in natural lighting.

6263II.jpg

This debuted in a wrist thread, but I've used it in other threads that were apropos. I'm pretty sick of the pic actually. I've used it too much.

But, I received one very gracious email from a member who said he thought it a great wrist shot. That was nice, but took me by surprise. I only think it is; 'Meh. Not bad. I guess'........................I think here, on a watch forum, the subject matter just tops the bill to the photography.

This one is a subtle HDR shot where the arm and watch were edited back in from the best exposure. It's possibly the only heavily post-processed wrist-shot I have. A beautiful day on the beach last year.

20080803.jpg

This one is an f1.4 (borrowed lens) shot with the tightest DoF I could get and a very atmospheric setting.

20081105.jpg

This one was taken backstage at a Mogwai gig. Rubbish photo, great setting.

20060926.jpg

I feel that a good wrist shot is one of the toughest for me to capture. I would much rather have the watch photographed in a still life setting. We that said, it is truly humbling to see the brilliant work of my fellow RWG members.

An old friend passed on to a new friend:

replicawatches013.jpg

Good stuff guys.

Here's 2 different wrist shots, showing my gen GMT. First one from the front. Not very inspiring.

IMG_1648.jpg

The second one from the angled view. Shows the watch profile, rehaut, crystal height and that (supposedly) "whiter" Rolex 904 steel nicely. To be honest with you guys, it's a much of noise for nothing. I have never noticed much difference. :whistling:

Anyway... I like this kind of wrist shots.

3.jpg

Excellent idea BT!

I have favorites of each of my watch wristie, but I'll post just a few:

My AP ROO Safari, which I think is out of it's "natural environment", but worked perfectly:

p2100029nu1.jpg

and then the others.......

drsdwrst.jpg

fer008.jpg

pflat6wey9.jpg

I strive for emotion over technique, which is why my shots never approach the quality of any of By-Tor's or some of the other pro-quality photogs here. An old pic, but my favorite wristie (today)

openwindow2016a1.jpg

I got bored with standard light-box style wristies eons ago, which is why I try to post more out-of-the-box compositions

mirrorlike2013b1.jpg

gmt27march0091.jpg

rolextoetag036box3a1.jpg

octodweller1.jpg

motorcycleadventure028bw1.jpg

motorcycleadventure008earlycolor2.jpg

6239binoculars016a1.jpg

1stwrist014c1.jpg