When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

China, HK & GZ

offshore

For those interested, some random thoughts and musings of my recent trip to HK & GZ..

We all know that watches are a large market. We see the numbers manufactured and assume sold.

To visit a show where there are around 900 exhibitors, many with multiple stands, and points of representation, was mind boggling. Some strap makers had massive structures and displays, which would have taken days and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to assemble. I use strap makers as the analogy here, as they are a lower value item in any watch overall cost (in most instances)

Of course the major manufacturers and movement guys also had large corporate stands, but strap makers for Gods sake! There were also seemingly endless booths of straps on display. How many ways can you manufacture and present a strap??

The show, as said, was massive! 900 exhibitors and 1600 stands. Set into a variety of areas- Watches, Parts & Accessories, Machinery, Packaging, A brand name showcase, Delegations from Overseas..Taiwan, Korea, India, even mainland China had an area???? (Couldn

Hey Offshore, that's a very entertaining and informative read. Thanks for taking the time for it! It makes me want to go there and take a look myself.

I will be in HK in November for a week. I'm very much looking forward to it, but Guangzhu must be extreme in many ways.

Kind regards

Val.

A great read OS, did you find out what the moq was from the movement factories, for example 7750s

Andy,

You can get as few as 100 pieces ex factory! But the price is VERY shabby.

You probably will do better if you can swing a deal with a 5k or 10k units buyer.

I know it sounds like fantasy that a buyer would buy those quantities in 1 hit, but the price breaks are there for them, and then the numbers get more appealing!

Wanna buy 9,900 from my bulk buy? :whistling:

(Best I saw was Euro 253 for 100 ex factory!)(That's for ETA)

Offshore

Just had a PM from a member, asking about the quality of a particular tool, which he pictured for me.

It is impossible to tell!

This little story may explain.

I asked the tool guy I will use in GZ for some good screwdrivers, He put a set in front of me which were crap. No ball bearing. So I told him, and he produced another box, same packaging, same drivers by all appearances, but these had a ball bearing swivel. "Ok I say, now I want something with a s/s body not chrome brass!" So a 3rd model, (same packaging again), is produced....s/s and swivel version!

I then berate the set for its lack of decent blades.

He reaches under the counter and produces a big box of blades. "Swiss" I am told.

"OK now give me a price for 20 sets, fitted with the good blades"

Price given, deal done.

His boy then takes 20 sets off the shelf, and proceeds to refit 20 sets of blades.

So in the same box, with the same appearance are sets which are totally different to the 1st set. About 2X the original price, but at least I can sell some 1/2 decent quality items.

So NEVER take the appearance as a guide, you MUST look at the item.

This scenario was played out with a whole bunch of tools. Eventually the tool guy realised I would pay for better quality, and started showing me better versions straight up.

Which is why I went to GZ and HK in the first place.

Offshore

Andy,

You can get as few as 100 pieces ex factory! But the price is VERY shabby.

You probably will do better if you can swing a deal with a 5k or 10k units buyer.

I know it sounds like fantasy that a buyer would buy those quantities in 1 hit, but the price breaks are there for them, and then the numbers get more appealing!

Wanna buy 9,900 from my bulk buy? :whistling:

(Best I saw was Euro 253 for 100 ex factory!)(That's for ETA)

Offshore

Did you happen to come across prices on A7750's in bulk? I seem to recall a thread a few months ago where someone had a contact who was able to order them real cheap, through a catalogue he got at a bike shop or something, and don't recall that anything ever eventuated with finding out whether they were legit or not (the movements, not the member).

Bait and switch, buyer beware. These guys love nothing more than to clean up on a weak customer. This is a take no prisoners game of one upsmanship

that they will never tire of, and take no pity on your lack of experience in the environment. You have to be so careful. thanks for the great post.

I think you impressed e veryone just how brutal these merchants can be. Just use your head and due diligence and a buyer can come out ok. It is no cakewalk though, that much is clear.

OK, after much f*****g around, I have finally sorted out a bmp from a jpg, and can now post some shots, for those interested.

This 1st one is a shot across HK harbour from the Convention Centre.

post-13-125291053098_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take any other shots of the watch show, so you'll have to visit

http://hkwatchfair.hktdc.com/ to see some views.

Next is a shot on the train between HK and GZ.

I was so amazed at the endless panorama of blocks of flats and factories, that I took maybe 12 of these, but they all look similar, so 1 will do

post-13-1252910830_thumb.jpg

Next is a series of outside shots of the various streets around the markets. some of these were early one morning, when there was not much traffic, however I have included some from later in the day, when the action got busier!

post-13-125291114256_thumb.jpg

post-13-125291118646_thumb.jpg

This was a building up one of the side streets, that housed another few floors of watches and parts.

post-13-125291122966_thumb.jpg

Later in the day, more traffic!

post-13-125291132527_thumb.jpg

This is one of the main market buildings, the two entrances ,left and right, lead to a basement area, the centre area leads to a mezzanine type floor.

There is another floor which is above this one,but then, what are on all those floors above those areas? I saw some offices on the next floor, but one can only wonder about the higher areas.

post-13-125291138241_thumb.jpg

Finally a sneak shot in one of the hallways in the VIP area, flash off for obvious reasons.

post-13-125291162369_thumb.jpg

So let's venture inside.

My tool guy of choice, he has 2 stalls like this facing each other.

post-13-125291174895_thumb.jpg

Some of his stock.

post-13-125291184105_thumb.jpg

post-13-125291187581_thumb.jpg

post-13-125291195533_thumb.jpg

post-13-125291191371_thumb.jpg

Just across from him was a sapphire guy, who had a huge selection, I found some rare Seiko crystals here, and he had no idea what they fitted. Got them for A$7 each!

post-13-125291202586_thumb.jpg

You will note that the shutters are down on a lot of stalls. This was at 10am, and things don't start to hum until 12 noon or later.

Follows are some shots from the storeroom which held the winders and storage boxes, it is the last few of this series, that earned me the wrath of the owner. I don't think he wanted photos with brand names showing, although with my photo skills, you would need a good zoom or great eyesight!

post-13-125291217605_thumb.jpg

post-13-125291235881_thumb.jpg

post-13-125291239729_thumb.jpg

The watch storage boxes mentioned!

post-13-125291243944_thumb.jpg

post-13-125291253139_thumb.jpg

And finally a shot just inside the front of this building. I actually stood looking the other way, and stuck my hand around the corner to get this one, no flash of course, so I have adjusted the light levels to my best ability.

post-13-125291268082_thumb.jpg

And a shot of a couple of croc straps, these are what can be custom made.

post-13-125291279246_thumb.jpg

Of necessity I have not repeated a lot of shots, and have purposely censored some more.

(For the well being of certain people who are in the markets regularly.)

Hope my crappy photos give a little meaning to the story.

Offshore