When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Check this out guys!

By-Tor

The only gen watch forum that I have been frequenting is the BDWF.

I have posted there 20-30 posts during the last year or so... mainly my gens to the wrist checks. Today I posted my GMT.

I noticed that someone posted a terrible fake Submariner to the wrist check thread. This one:

SubClose1Medium.jpg

http://bdwf.net/forum/showthread.php?p=522991#post522991

The funny thing here is that it's the forum owner. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Of course I won't embarrass the guy in front of the members but I thought it was pretty funny anyway. It's hilarious how these guys always put down fakes but wear (bad) fakes themselves... and think that no one will notice. Posers, I say!

Now thats a good one By-tor. Do you think It's possable that he thinks It's a gen? The reason I ask Is because I think that trying to pass off a rep on a gen forum Is really insulting to the whole community. I also beleive that more people are wearing reps, they just dont like to admit It. Thanks for the good laugh :D Mike

I don't know. I want to believe that.

This guy is the owner of this whole watch forum (which is fairly big and pretty respected too)... and here he is, sporting a crappy fake Sub. Or then he simply thinks his Idealwatch real Swiss replica is so good that nobody would notice. :thumbdown:

Must be one of the weirdest things I've seen in the watch forums... I mean, this guy is the friggin' OWNER!

He has to know! Nobody that knows watches is going to buy a second hand Sub without somehow verifying its authenticity. Its the same with the fellows over at Breitling source. Its pretty evident that they buy the odd rep and are impressed by them. At least they don't try to hide the fact that they are reps.

I don't know. I want to believe that.

This guy is the owner of this whole watch forum (which is fairly big and pretty respected too)... and here he is, sporting a crappy fake Sub. Or then he simply thinks his Idealwatch real Swiss replica is so good that nobody would notice. :thumbdown:

Must be one of the weirdest things I've seen in the watch forums... I mean, this guy is the friggin' OWNER!

Ya.. I know what you mean. I would think that he would at least post a high end rep or maybe a franken. Maybe he just doesn't know any better, and thats a pretty sad statement In It's self. :wounded1: Mike

Yeah, something is fishy. He posted no text. Is just letting it hang out there. Maybe a dig at that crappy Steinhart Sub homage. Maybe trying to teach his flock a lesson on; "Be careful out there, you never know who will be passing off reps as gen." Are there discussions like that over there? To the uninitiated, and in the minds of a lot of genuine fans, replicas all tick like quartz, have chromed plastic cases and plastic crystals. Perhaps to them, this is a passable and accurate replica. Or, seeing some of the other watches in that thread, aside the GMT, PO, and the Breit, they are geeks.

I'd call him out, but in a discreet manner; "Hey, Randy, where did you source that Sub?"

I'm half tempted to register only for that reason.

Just goes to show, that those who are interested in watches are one thing, those that have an awareness of authentication are another. Regardless of whether or not the owner thinks it's real (unlikely) or just a really good rep, what the poster thinks is "excellent" or "crappy" is what's funny.

There are many in the art world who are interested in paintings, sculpture, etc...the artists, their history, valuation and all that, but couldn't do crap when it comes to verification of authenticity. Retention of information is one thing, ability to use visual analysis is another.

@Dems: I doubt it. I saw that guy posting a pic of this same Sub earlier this year. It was a bad photo and I thought the lousy photography just distorted it and made it look whacked and left it at that.

I would never, ever embarrass anyone (especially the owner of this nice forum) in front of his members. Please don't do it. There's no reason for that.

I just think it's pretty hypocritical that these same "watch lovers" always look reps down their noses "officially". Here in RWG we enjoy all kinds of watches equally. And I agree 100% what Andreww said. No seasoned WIS (even ignorant) would buy a Submariner without being sure of its authenticity. That Sub is just wrong in so many ways.

PS: Now you know my nick in the gen forums. It's "apocalypse". :)

As I said BT, via PM: " WTF?" He is indeed a nice guy and I'd never condone it being done in public.

He must just be waiting for a callout tho, surly.

Someone must have noticed it of course. But since he's the forum owner they don't have balls to call him out me thinks. Makes it even more ironic and funny. :bicycle:

Hmm, I really don't see the problem with sending the guy a PM and asking him if he is aware that his sub is a rep? As I said before, I think it is highly unlikely that he isn't aware of it, and he is only embarrassing himself by continuing to post it. Saying nothing is like letting him walk around with his fly undone.

That's funny stuff. A few years ago he was ranting about the danger of reps. I can't believe he knows it's a rep. Everybody seems to feel he's one of the good guys!!!

And if he doesn't know, what does that say about him........

Has someone already pm'd him? :whistling:

Personally I think Dems is right he should be called, if he is not doing it to test his members then he is in no position to call himself a watch affectionado.

I think someone who is not already a member and has no desire to become one should join and post "Well this is going to get me banned but that is one crappy rep!"

Ken

thanks you very much for the link ................

a little warning would have been nice ....

i have to say i never - never ever - luckily - saw a wrist check thread with

so many fugly ugly watches :cry2::yuk:

except for a nice GMT and SA ;)

i have to clean my desk now ....

cheers,

Frank