When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I buy a gen Sub for my 50th?

perry563

Well....I turn the big 50 in a few months. I have a big collection of rep and gen watches. Among the reps I have a TW best Sub, a MBW LV Sub, and finally another MBW which looks like what WM9 is offering. All three were fully modded by BK. I also have a MBW 1680 and 1665 that have been well modded. The question is should I go ahead and spend $5000 for a brand new Sub as a present to myself for my 50th BD? I am wearing my WM9 type MBW sub right now and with all Bk's modds along with the nicely fitting bracelet I was able to find (no sloppy end link fit!) I am torn between the wonderful and exciting idea of buying a gen sub and the practical side which tells me that what I already have is "good enough". What does everyone think?

I'd say spend the cash on a vacation or some equally memorable event/treat. At the end of the day, I just don't think a gen is worth that kind of coin, and if you've already got some modded reps (of nicer variants of sub) a gen won't give you anything other than the ability to say 'Yes', if asked if it's real, and a warranty for the RSC, it wouldn't really 'be contributing anything' to the overall range of your collection. Of course, that's just my .2c YMMV ;)

Well, you seem to like Rolex and like Submariners/SeaDwellers.

So getting a genuine is a must.

Which one?

It all depends on your preference of course as it is a question of budget.

When I bought my genuine 16610 (full set) I thought that this was my grail watch.

It is right and will remain one of my favourites.

But, after that I bought a 16800 mate dial from 1989 and it very different from the 16610 from 1999.

Then I went to a 1680 white from 1978 and this is currently my favourite.

Ubi is right: if you want to make yourself a long lasting gift, go for a 1680.

It is not very expensive, allthough more than a 16610, but it has a lot of caracter.

In short: choose yours but go for a genuine. A rep will remain a rep...

Cheers and all the best for the 50iest. I'll join you in around 14 months :(

Stephane

Perry,

what a conincidence i will become 50 in December.

I'm also playing with the thoughts of buying a gen rolex.

On the wish list are the 1680 white or the 1675 pepsi.

I'm 100% convinced that there is noticeable difference between an good modded rep or a gen.

at least there is psychological difference.

Good luck with the hunting

Carpe Diem

Cats

You have some very nice reps, but I think one gen would be in order. As for which one, I tend towards the older 'vintage' subs, although I must admit a new 16610 would be nice. However, if I were to buy a 16610, it would probably be an R serial- c. 1988-9- these are almost vintage in their own right.

I do prefer the 16800/16610's over the 1680 for everyday wear as a beater because I'm always scratching the plastic crystals on older watches. But if you buy a new 16610, it wouldn't be a beater, I would think, but more of a dress watch.

Also, a 16800 or an early 16610 might be found for $3000-3500. Add a service in there for around $200 aand you're still a couple of grand under a 1680 or new 16610.

Well, you seem to like Rolex and like Submariners/SeaDwellers.

Ubi is right: if you want to make yourself a long lasting gift, go for a 1680.

It is not very expensive, allthough more than a 16610, but it has a lot of caracter.

I was initially thinking a nice birth year 6536 or 5508, but staying in the $5k range is not gonna happen :)

I always said I was going to buy a gen 16610. But after seeing how far replica's have come, and seeing the qaulity vs. price in replicas, I refuse to ever buy a gen SS watch again. The only gen watch I will ever buy is going to be something with a precious metal (yellow gold, rose gold, platinum etc..).

The replicas are just too damn good to spend on an SS gen

I was initially thinking a nice birth year 6536 or 5508, but staying in the $5k range is not gonna happen :)

I'd love to get myself a 1960 one too...but that is not gonna happen indeed :wounded1:

Hey Ubi, you are younger ...so it will happen for you very often to get yourself a birth year watch if you want to.

Heh... Indeed, you are correct, Stephane :) Getting a birth year watch for me is still fairly reasonable. Maybe soon... We'll see ^_^

Allthough you have a great collection, I'm sure you'll enjoy the gen too...

Not to take it off topic, but it's interesting how many folks do gravitate towards watches from the year/era of their birth :)

And wines.

Unfortunately, 1960 is 1 year before the Mill

I failed to mention that I already have a gen TT DJ from 1999 that I bought while traveling in HK. Its still brand spanking new since I rarely wear it. (only special occasions) I remember that when I bought this DJ I saw many subs under the counter and did not even consider buying one! My how my thoughts have changed! I see that I can buy a gen Sub brand new from ebay for under 4800. (reputable seller) My wife has given me the OK.......BUT Im still undecided. A new watch is always so exciting rep or gen but at the same time that 4800 could be used for other more practical purposes. Add to this that I already have 40 or more watches!!!!

Go for it. If you like modern with a hint of vintage, check out the 14060 No-Date Sub. No good replicas of it either, so a nice addition.

On my short list is a 14060 (non-COSC). Simple, clean, beautiful.

+1 on the 14060. I think it is a nice classy piece and since there aren't many (if at all) reps of that one, it is less likely to be thought of as a fake. And it will be something different from your already impressive sub collection. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If considering getting a gen and you have all those sub reps, definately get one. Just be cautious that IMO if you get a gen of a rep that you have, it will make it that much harder to want to keep the reps that are similar.

If cost is somewhat an issue for you in today's market, go for a 90's era modern sub with tritium dial. The no dates sell quite often for below $3000 with bracelet but no papers and the 16610 for below $3200-$3500. You can even obtain 1680 white's for below $4000 if you look hard.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a sub, I would suggest looking at the Tudor line. Despite the popularity of Rolex compared to Tudor in the US, Tudors are quite popular everywhere else. The important thing to remember with a vintage Tudor is that they are actually more rare then their Rolex big brothers as A. Not as many were made, and B. so many other variations. You can easily get a vintage Tudor sub for less then $3000 today. Everything except the dial, movement, and hadns are Rolex. Plus you can open the variety with a blue dial which Rolex didn't offer in Stainless Steel till today, some 40 years after the first blue Tudor Submariner appeared on the market.

If considering getting a gen and you have all those sub reps, definately get one. Just be cautious that IMO if you get a gen of a rep that you have, it will make it that much harder to want to keep the reps that are similar.

If cost is somewhat an issue for you in today's market, go for a 90's era modern sub with tritium dial. The no dates sell quite often for below $3000 with bracelet but no papers and the 16610 for below $3200-$3500. You can even obtain 1680 white's for below $4000 if you look hard.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a sub, I would suggest looking at the Tudor line. Despite the popularity of Rolex compared to Tudor in the US, Tudors are quite popular everywhere else. The important thing to remember with a vintage Tudor is that they are actually more rare then their Rolex big brothers as A. Not as many were made, and B. so many other variations. You can easily get a vintage Tudor sub for less then $3000 today. Everything except the dial, movement, and hadns are Rolex. Plus you can open the variety with a blue dial which Rolex didn't offer in Stainless Steel till today, some 40 years after the first blue Tudor Submariner appeared on the market.

+1 on the Tudor subs.... And for 5K, you could even get 2!!! ;-)

cheers, and happy 50th!

Ed

BUT Im still undecided. A new watch is always so exciting rep or gen but at the same time that 4800 could be used for other more practical purposes.

Look at it this way. 50 only comes around once, and we're on this planet for a relatively short amount of time. Nothing wrong with treating yourself to something fun for this special day!

Well, i say don't do it .... however, the cost is only the difference between the price and the value ..so, oddly enough the least expensive watch i ever owned was a 16013 Rolex datejust .. wore it 3 years ..sold it for 300 more than I paid ... I didn't even get a great deal on it when I

purchased it ...So, always keep that in mind when you make a purchase .. Price verses value .. it is a tangible asset .. not like a 4800 dollar hamburger or boat ride ... the 4800 is traded for something that has X value .. it is not gone .