When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to start a 1665 project, have some questions

crockey

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am fairly new to vintage Rollies. I have spend the last 2 years working on mostly Pam projects over at RepGeek. From what I have seen, the MBW case seems to be a good starting point for a 1665 project. A few questions.

1. The MBW case accepts gen parts, correct? (I think the bezel needs modding, and maybe the dial even?)

2. Does the MBK case accept gen parts? I know the 1016 I ordered does.

3. Is it worth going with a Yuki case if I don't plan on using a gen movement?

Thanks guys for any input!

@ Vly and Freddy. Both of your SD's are beautiful, I really like both of them. I particularly like the lume on both dials. They look like they aren't brand new 2009 models, but they aren't that overdone "burnt toast" color or yellow color that a lot of the re-lumes end up looking like. To me they look like 40 year old watches that have been well maintained and not been out in the sunshine every day for 40 years. I realize that lots of folks like that "aged" look, but sometimes I think it's overdone.

Just my Dos Centavos

Arthur

Well, I'm confused also crockey. I guess rosnik is saying the new batch of MBW/MBK's like what Eurotimez has won't accept a gen insert or crystal. It's hard to believe the MBK factory would screw up a good thing, but we've seen it w/ Cats MBK 1680-the bezel construction has been adulterated. But Cats did install a gen crystal and insert. An MBK 1665 still might not be too bad if you could put a decent pearl in the insert and live with the plastic crystal. Trim the cg's, maybe drill the lugholes, and give it some judicious aging, with a gen eta, it could be a good beater. Certainly it's going to be easily $200-400 cheaper than going the Yuki case route, I would think.

Very nice!! How old is your mbw? is that the "new" case?

Thanks

Thank you.

I purchased the unmodded MBW 1665 from a veteran member back in '07.

I am not sure how long he owned it before he sold it to me. The watch was new when I received it but I have a feeling it was in his possession for a time before that.

• 3 years later...