When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Franken Tudor Snowflake 9411 Submariner!

gavidoc

Here she is. My 2nd franken in 6 months. Love the Tudor Subs. I'm fortunate in that I've had the chance to meet some wonderful people in the real vintage markets over the years which made this project thankfully pretty easy to complete. I think the overall turn around time for it was about 4 months.

So, this project started life when a friend offered me a blue snowflake dial. I thought to myself: "Hmmmm.....You never see any blue dial frankens......" So I decided to build one. The hands and dial were relumed by The Zigmeister. Gotta thank my good friend up north, eddog for the assist!

This watch consists of the following parts for those of you who like the parts breakdowns:

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

Gen Crown

Gen Crown Tube

Gen Crystal

Gen Bezel

Gen crystal retainer

Gen Fat Font Blue insert

Gen Tudor movement

Gen 93150 bracelet (with right clasp)

Gen 580 endlinks

MBW Case

Rep DSSD clasp

As you can see, only thing NOT Gen is the mid case and caseback. LOL!!!

Frak-9411-04.jpg

Frak-9411-05.jpg

Frak-9411-06.jpg

Frak-9411-07.jpg

Really nice! Particularly love the dial, its "substance"! Don't know if anybody understands but it's not like any dial neat and clean, its unperfectness makes it perfect!

However, why would you put a rep DSSD clasp? convenience?

Anyway, congrats on this beauty! The SS bracelet feel is great, but try to put it on a nice NATO strap, you'll probably love it even more!

However, why would you put a rep DSSD clasp? convenience?

Anyway, congrats on this beauty! The SS bracelet feel is great, but try to put it on a nice NATO strap, you'll probably love it even more!

The gen clasps are crap and this is more convient then the original clasp.

I'm not a big fan of NATO's though I do have my share of normal 1 piece straps that i wear my watches on. My personal fav's are a grey or a Bond maratac style strap.

The gen clasps are crap and this is more convient then the original clasp.

I'm not a big fan of NATO's though I do have my share of normal 1 piece straps that i wear my watches on. My personal fav's are a grey or a Bond maratac style strap.

That's a fine build :victory:

Awesome use on the DSSD clasp, I have plans to do the same thing on a project build :) If you were to put the watch on a black NATO strap, it would look just like one of the military Tudor Subs I've seen reference photos of :)

@Gavidoc,

That's a mighty fine watch. I really , really like it. I'm sort of with you on the clasp. I'm looking at a 9315T (Which is the correct bracelet for the 9411) w/ 380 endlinks. Best price I have seen so far is around 750.00 USD for a well worn bracelet w/ end links. I can wear a nice 93150 rep bracelet, which may not fool a Rolex expert, but it looks OK. and it's a lot more comfortable than the folded link 9315T (T is for Tudor clasp.) That are Pretty hard to find.

Here is mine which is a genuine 9411 96XXXX serial which dates it to late 81 early 82 model. It is in almost the last serial series for the 9411. Mine has incorrect Rolex Mercedes hands that were put on at Rolex San Francisco years ago. It's leaving for Florida on Monday for a hand exchange and a movement clean/lube and time (It's losing about 30+ seconds a day. I got a good deal on a set of hands and the seller has a watchmaker who can do the rest of the work, and he is taking my Mercedes hands as part trade on the snowflake hands. More photos when it gets back home.

The nice thing, as some folks have alluded to in other posts, if you

Here's my gen Tudor branded 9315T folded link bracelet. Not sure what you are refering to about it not being comforatable? It's super comfortable to me :thumbsupsmileyanim:

DSC_0883.jpg

The watch looks amazing J! Congrats again on a great looking franken!

Sorry, Too much wine last night! I meant to say substantial. The 93150 feels a little more substantial. Also it's easier to find. I eventually want to put a genuine bracelet on mine, either a 9315T or a 93150.For the time being, I'll use the rep 93150.

Red, can you measure the width of your Tudor clasp? I saw one on Ebay last week, but the measurement seemed slightly narrow. It was 16.? mm wide, and my rep clasp is 17.25mm

Thanks

Arthur

Hey Arthur,

QUite familiar with our discussions regarding your sub. :) Is it Stevey that you're sending your sub to? Were you able to confirm that the watch didn't come with those hands originally? PM me if it was Steve if you don't mind.

Also, the T in 9315....not certain it stands for Tudor. I've seen many 5513's with 9315T bracelets as well before they used the 93150 on them. Also, if you still want me to find out a cost for a mint 93150 from Bob Richard's I can.

Hey Arthur,

QUite familiar with our discussions regarding your sub. :) Is it Stevey that you're sending your sub to? Were you able to confirm that the watch didn't come with those hands originally? PM me if it was Steve if you don't mind.

Also, the T in 9315....not certain it stands for Tudor. I've seen many 5513's with 9315T bracelets as well before they used the 93150 on them. Also, if you still want me to find out a cost for a mint 93150 from Bob Richard's I can.

I had about 5 or 6 fellows on the Vintage Rolex forum as well as TZ Vintage Rolex say that they had never seen a 9411 Snowflake with Mercedes hands, which is to say that it's possible, especially with a watch that is right in the serial number range that a new model with a lot of changes was taking place, just that no one on the forums has seen one.

Arthur

No problem Arthur. I have seen a few but don't have "documentation" if you know what I mean.

Again, thanks for all the comments fellas. she is now firmly in the rotation with my other watches though I'm torn between this one and my gen 7016 when I feel the need for some Tudor love which is a good thing.

Could the incorrect mercedes hands have been installed during a service at a local watchsmith? I had a gen snowflake blue dial and insert years ago. Bought it broken for $250, had it serviced and repaired for about $300 by my watch guy. Kept it a year then sold it for $1200 (good deal for me at the time). Wish I kept it now. They are worth a lot more than that now. It was my second gen rolex and that was About 20 years ago

@ dizzy,

I really don't know. the watch seller had the watch in on a trade from a very well respected rolex collector in the San Francisco area. He traded the guy a Genuine Daytona, for a pile of cash and the Tudor plus another watch or two. the first seller claimed the watch was serviced by Rolex San Francisco, but he didn't know how long ago. It probably has been years, as the watch was running about 30 min slow/day and the date changed at 5 AM rather than 12. I would bet the service was 10-15 years ago and they changed the hands at the RSC, probably didn't have any Tudor hands in stock. Just my speculation. May know more when my watchmaker opens the case. Possibly the RSC marked the inside with the date of service.

Arthur