When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

thoughts on the ipad

deltatahoe

NOW I GET IT!!!!! :whistling: Anyone can now tell time effortlessly and not be hindered by winding, winders, etc. On that note Pug, please sell me your awesome IWC rep since it is not as user friendly. :D:victory:

Mechanical watches are not dead even if quartz won. See my point about a zero-sum game earlier. :)

Just because we have quartz and digital doesn't mean people don't make beautiful mechanical watches. You get it now. If Cory Doctorow were right, we'd all be wearing digital watches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree there's a lot of money to made in apps for this device, first person to make a flash player wins.

Not going to happen. I don't know why people think it's such a big deal, but you need to stop assuming it is.

iPad sales are through the roof, and there isn't a single iPhone competitor on the market that does Flash.

http://gigaom.com/2010/04/19/adobe-ceo-has-his-own-reality-distortion-field/

there isn't a single iPhone competitor on the market that does Flash.

Keyword "Phone". Totally acceptable, given size, processing, etc. A phone sized device is not meant to replace anything.

But a living room, lifestyle, media consumption, device being dubbed as the "best way to experience the web"-- unacceptable.

I played with an iPad for about 30 minutes the other day. It was cool, but after 30 minutes I was kinda bored... Its a nice "toy".

anything with the apple moniker on it will sell these days, I remember when the ipod came out people would steal other peoples white headphones right out of their ears just because it was for ipod.

just because it sells doesnt make it a great product...*cough* the snuggie*cough* apple much like rolex has done a GREAT job on marketing (there's your watch reference in keeping with our theme here ;) but i believe the ipad was over hyped as something new when it was nothing new and innovative, same people that have to have everything IKEA have to have everything apple :p

as for flash, all too often i try to visit pages on my touch and can not, or menus that dont fucntion, or imbedded videos that have a little blue object box indicating there is something here i can not use

" I don't know why people think it's such a big deal, but you need to stop assuming it is" so to me daily, it kind of is a big deal, it cripples my productivity currently, flash is a reality on the internet and to not support one format that is even used in 25% of websites is next to useless, so when people talk of replacing their pcs or netbooks with ipads i just dont understand how they'll actually browse the internet fully on every site. even windows 95 supported flash.

anything with the apple moniker on it will sell these days

Simply not true. Apple TV is still a poor-seller and Windows outsells Mac OSX to this day.

You're rehashing old ground that has been debunked over and over again. The "Only hipsters with goatees buy Apple and they would buy anything with an Apple logo on" meme has died. While you were sniggering at the sheeple with their iPhones the world moved on. Look back at the state of the phone industry, especially in the US, to before the iPhone was released. All the power was in the hands of the networks and everything cost. The iPhone was able to break the hegemony and force the phone companies to return to their job of just managing the networks instead of dictating features.

Before iTunes, buying digital music sucked and before the iPhone, smartphones sucked. You may not like the products, but you have to admit they've been a huge boon to consumers. Android exists because of the iPhone; flat-fee affordable 3G internet exists because of the iPhone. So, yeah, keep on being smug about how Apple Fanbois are mindless automata while the revolution is happening regardless of what you think.

Seriously, just look back to the world of mobile phones before the iPhone. It's frightening.

And now look forward and you'll see why Flash will go the way of Java applets.

• 2 weeks later...

And now look forward and you'll see why Flash will go the way of Java applets.

Hahaha! Love it Pug! Well said! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

As I stated in another thread (because while I was playing with the iPad and posting about it, the search function didn't work), it's a really nice form factor and it is FAST! I can definitely understand why it sold over 1M units already. It's not all hype - this thing is really great!

• 3 weeks later...

I think it has more potential and was a bit disappointed tbh. Im sure after they sell boatloads they will bring out a better version that make the current one a throw away item.

The main problem is, I along with many other were expecting it to be more like a laptop, instead of just a giant iPhone. You cant really create anything with it, its made to only consume. Buy our apps, buy our music, videos and ebooks and you can use it. Oh and you can surf the web.

The problem with Apple is that they are control nazi's, Gates wouldn't get away with half the [censored] Job's does. They make great devices, but then castrate them because they want to "control the experience". And don't buy this horseshit about flash is dying so that's why apple wont use it, its pure greed and control. With flash you can get a whole heaps of things online for free! stream games, videos, and music. That's gonna cut into Jobsies apps store (that he takes 50% from developers from every sale) and music.

That said, I see some industries where it will be great like in hospitals putting in patient medical records on the fly, and things like that, or taking orders in cafes and things like that. You cant use it as your main personal computer, its more of a "have one on the side" device.

I think it has more potential and was a bit disappointed tbh. Im sure after they sell boatloads they will bring out a better version that make the current one a throw away item.

The main problem is, I along with many other were expecting it to be more like a laptop, instead of just a giant iPhone. You cant really create anything with it, its made to only consume. Buy our apps, buy our music, videos and ebooks and you can use it. Oh and you can surf the web.

The problem with Apple is that they are control nazi's, Gates wouldn't get away with half the [censored] Job's does. They make great devices, but then castrate them because they want to "control the experience". And don't buy this horseshit about flash is dying so that's why apple wont use it, its pure greed and control. With flash you can get a whole heaps of things online for free! stream games, videos, and music. That's gonna cut into Jobsies apps store (that he takes 50% from developers from every sale) and music.

That said, I see some industries where it will be great like in hospitals putting in patient medical records on the fly, and things like that, or taking orders in cafes and things like that. You cant use it as your main personal computer, its more of a "have one on the side" device.

Can't create? Tell that to the DJs using it live as a sound source. Tell that to my publisher as he gets the latest 1,000 words from me. Tell that to the guy who painted the cover to the New Yorker on an iPad. Just because you can't create doesn't mean others aren't doing so.

Also, Apple takes 30%, not 50%, and if you look at their accounts, you'll see that most of that is for infrastructure. Apple doesn't care about making a profit from sales of your apps or songs. Apple would be quite happy if all apps were free. Oh, and find a better deal than you get at Apple.

You are correct about it not being a primary computer, however. We are a long way from that.

Oh, and Gates can't get away with it because Microsoft are a monopoly. That carries legal responsibilities.

Obviously, Flash or Not, buyers just don't give a damn.

Because the average buyer is ill-informed IMHO. I know more and more people who are having buyers remorse...

Perfect example of how the iPad would have SUCKED BALLS if I had one on our vacation to Hawaii last month-- INSTEAD of my Asus eeePC.

1.) On the 7 hour airplane ride, my wife and I upgraded to first class. On my eeePC I had some movies/shows ripped to a 32gb SDHC card. Using a headphone splitter, and because of the traditional clam-shell design we were able to both watch 5 hours of video. (iPad FAIL: the tray tables / extra room / seat configuration in first class would have made it impossible to do what we did if we had an iPad because of its form factor "pad" design without creative propping or cases)

2.) One of the Sail/Dive companies we were interested, an many of the restaurants we wanted to check out from the hotel via the internet were, you guessed, heavily reliant on Flash. (iPad FAIL: If we had the iPad, we could not have browsed the site of the Sail/Dive company or some of the restaurants menus in advance.

3.) Shot tons of photos. Camera uses SDHC. For piece of mind I like to do a nightly dump of the photos from the camera/card to the netbook as backup. (iPad FAIL: no card slot, no way to get my photos onto it from my SD card(s).)

4.) Tethering. I am able to tether my eeePC to my Verizon phone for 3g/EVDO access if no wi-fi. ONE DATA PLAN. Current iPad is/was wi-fi only, and needs another data plan.

The "Netbook" TRULY gave me everything I needed for a week on vacation. FULL internet, (Wife had to edit a Word/Excel document while there), Ability to backup, preview, EDIT then email, photos taken. If we had an iPad we still would have needed/wanted a regular Netbook/Notebook.

The BEST option would probably have been a MacBook Air, but until the Asus Netbook dies, it ROCKED!

I "switched" to Apple circa OS-X Jaguar. I kinda "switched back" in recent months to Windows 7 and Android, and I kinda like it. (By kinda, I still use Mac, Lin, Win do to my occupation, and my Mac Mini continues to be my HTPC hooked to the big screen.)

Now that I have had some time with it, I realize that it is not designed to do what the laptop can't. Opti really nailed it when he said that it is a "have on the side" device.

I agree that not having flash is a disadvantage, because as Ronin pointed out, it is a huge pain because a LOT of restaurants and other tourist/service related companies rely on flash for their website design. That in itself is just due the fact that it's cheaper in many ways to design a site using flash (and IMO far more lazy). Just a personal opinion, but I absolutely hate flash sites. I hate how they look, I hate how they load, and I hate having to wait for them. To me flash is just a big FAIL, but again, that is just my opinion.

Back on topic though, I have yet to meet an iPad user who has buyers remorse. They had specific uses in mind for it, and thus far, it has far exceeded their expectations. As Pugwash pointed out, using for live music, the iPad has found a great niche market!!!

Oh, one other small note - and again, this is just me - I just did a tally of all the websites I frequent on a regular basis. Here's a small list:

RWG

Facebook

Macrumors

Dealmac

Craigslist

eBay

Apple

Digidesign/Avid

Daily Dose of Imagery

Watchdoddy

CNN

Google news

That's the basic list of sites that I visit continuously. Not one of them is flash based. Again, it's just me. Everyone has their thing, and sites that they like to frequent. For me, owning an iPhone or iPad is not an issue to browse those sites. Also, in the few times I need contact info for a restaurant, I just go to google and get the number and call.

Back on topic though, I have yet to meet an iPad user who has buyers remorse.

I run with a pretty geeky/tech crowd. They are also brutally honest and not afraid to admit a bad decision. Getting someone to admit their $500 purchase of a shiny gadget is less than perfect....

On a positive note, the "Application" side of the device is cool. The gaming possibility is there. Cool apps and games :good:

I still have mixed feelings on this "pay-for-content" model when so much is available for free in the old/usual channels.

I do too Ronin, however most of my techy/geeky crowd/friends are in the music scene, so that is where I am seeing some pretty impressive things happen with the iPad. It's a heck of a lot more convenient than lugging around a lot of gear! :D

I think the difference here is that the people that I know that have one knew right from the start what the limitations were going to be, but they weren't looking for a replacement computer. They were looking for a very portable live device to perform with.

For me, I definitely want one just as an aside to my laptop. Just for email, music apps & browsing the latest info on RWG :thumbsupsmileyanim: