When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

thoughts on the ipad

deltatahoe

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When did Apple last ship a single-button mouse?

Every Mac of the last five years right clicks out of the box. Magic Mouse? Right Click. Mighty Mouse? Right Click. Laptops? All right-click. All macs of the last decade can take multi-button mice, too. The OS supports it.

If you're going to pick on something at least make sure it's still valid.

and I did, that was 1 of about 7 things worth mentioning. when I was in school in 2003 they never used macs for 3d design because they didnt want to replace every mouse on the thousands of mac G4/G5s they bought just to gain that functionality, anyone who knows 3D studio knows the amount of right click submenus. Point remains the very limited upgradable mac desktops are obsolete. All the notebooks I looked at about 6months ago from mac had one GIANT click button, so unless you mean it's right and a left click with the addition of holding down a keypad button that doesnt count, or maybe they hid the button really well and I missed something.

Touch screens are nothing new, they have around for a while. just go to best but and check the Hp touch. besides is not practical at all unless all you do is browse the internet. I work as a system Engineer and I have no use for Mac products except for the Ipod I have in my car. in regards to the Iphone the Blackberry rules the market and it will stay that way.

and I did, that was 1 of about 7 things worth mentioning. when I was in school in 2003 they never used macs for 3d design because they didnt want to replace every mouse on the thousands of mac G4/G5s they bought just to gain that functionality, anyone who knows 3D studio knows the amount of right click submenus. Point remains the very limited upgradable mac desktops are obsolete. All the notebooks I looked at about 6months ago from mac had one GIANT click button, so unless you mean it's right and a left click with the addition of holding down a keypad button that doesnt count, or maybe they hid the button really well and I missed something.

The mouse has little buttons on the side.

@Pugwash, I would consider a wager on this NOT being a smashing success in the current form.

Had the thing featured a full OS-X experience that could multi-task, allow you to install Firefox, codecs, Skype, VoIP, etc, it would probably be a hit. At that point you could truly leave the laptop at home, and pose a threat to netbooks.

I mean come on, as much as I hate Micro$haft, you can not run Office on it. Think about it. A tablet, that you can not run one of the most utilized applications. Sure iWork will kinda work.

I am an Apple fan, a huge one, but this is not about a good product for a consumer. This is a good product to keep you locked into THEIR STORES: App Store, Music/Movie store, and now Ebook store. Good luck trying to watch your WMV videos or MKV torrented TV shows.

Final comment on "Flash". Think about why flash is really disabled. On the iPhone they did not want to "overstress" AT&T network, but with WiFi, why not? It comes back to their store model. Without Flash you can NOT watch HULU, and other streaming video sites. Although HTML5 is around the corner, the amount of Flash out there is staggering. (Funny, I rarely experience crashes with Flash & Firefox). On a similar note, no "Silverlight" = No Netflix. Ohh, and "Flash" based Games, cuts into their game $ales.

How cool would this thing have been if we could watch Hulu & Netflix, or play any of the numerous FREE flash based games.

It is an odd man out product. It doesn't replace: a laptop, a netbook, a "real" tablet PC, a phone. What it does: Glorified Movie Player, Glorified Digital Picture frame, and sure you can have a crippled internet experience and check email. A HORRIBLE, eye straining way to read eBooks. Guess what, the iPod/iPhone already does this.

I fail to see the value, and given the economic situation, do you need a "supplemental" device that replaces nothing?

If this can not replace a laptop, then it is nothing more than an over sized iPhone/iPod Touch that still requires Syncing! (by replace, I mean grab this and go on the road for a week+ without a laptop while having FULL functionality for 'common' applications - i.e. I can take my Asus eeePC on the road and loose no real fuctionality)

Actually Flash Video IS based on a Quicktime standard already. The issue Safari and Apple have is with "packaged" flash presentation.

Your 3 bullets actually confirm my statements. In short, Apple is a closed Eco System. Like it or leave it. Why is it every other operating system is fine with it. All my Linux netbooks can handle Flash. All my Microsoft crap can handle it. Chrome, Firefox, Opera... I have no issues with Flash on my regular Mac's running OS-X at all.

One POSITIVE for Apple here, is that this "control" helps with things like MalWare and Viruses.

Sure, Apple was ahead of the curve when it eliminated the Floppy, then the Dial-Up Modem, but something as ubiquitous as flash?

Flash content reaches 99% of Internet viewers

Adobe Flash Player is the world's most pervasive software platform, used by over 2 million professionals and reaching 99% of Internet-enabled desktops in mature markets as well as a wide range of devices.

Don't get me wrong, I am an Apple user, and overall big fan of their computers & products. If you want a large format iPod Touch then it is the product for you. Instead of iPad they should have called it what it is the "iPod Jumbo".

Back to that wager. What kind of metric do you want to associate with it? I am willing to bet against this for sure.

Actually Flash Video IS based on a Quicktime standard already. The issue Safari and Apple have is with "packaged" flash presentation.

No, it isn't. Flash Video (the current favourite version, not the VP6-based version) is based on AVC or MPEG4 video using the h264 video codec and the AAC audio codec. While Quicktime can deal with MPEG4 perfectly and has hardware H264 decoding on Macs, Flash isn't based on a Quicktime standard. You really need to study the difference between Containers and Codecs. Yes, given a decent multiplexer, you can demux FLV and remux it as Quicktime using the two streams, but they're in no way the same standard.

You're saying a Pine tree is based on an Oak tree when the only thing they really have in common is that they're both trees.

This is something I may know a little about, in case you couldn't already tell. ;)

Your 3 bullets actually confirm my statements. In short, Apple is a closed Eco System. Like it or leave it. Why is it every other operating system is fine with it. All my Linux netbooks can handle Flash. All my Microsoft crap can handle it. Chrome, Firefox, Opera... I have no issues with Flash on my regular Mac's running OS-X at all.

So, Apple is a closed eco-system and ... Flash isn't?

How's Flash on the Android? Or the Blackberry? Or the Palm Pre?

Adobe Flash is as much single-vendor lock-in as iPhone OS, so you don't get to use that one, I'm afraid.

Wager based on this: Wall Street expects Apple's 'risky' iPad to sell 1M-5M in first year

I say they don't break 2.5M yr one. $20.00

Done. $20.

2.5 million sales worldwide by one year after it's made available for sale.

I have a lot of pdf files and I don't think the Ipad will be able to read them.

Wasn't it Apple who made PDF natively available on their computers without having to buy Adobe Acrobat to make PDF files? Trust me, even an iPhone can open a PDF file natively so I'm sure the iPad will do it just fine :D

Picture1-6.png

So does the iTablet thingee support Adobe Flash?

No, it doesn't. It probably won't, either. Not unless something drastic happens to change both Adobe and Apple's minds on how they do business.

Besides, how would you use it? There's no mouse-hover or key input.