When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 5513 - Tropic Dilema : T19 or T39 Superdome?

Pre V

Greetings RWG'ers!

Just acquired an oldskool MBW 5513 and can't wait to begin work on the modification.

First thing on the list is the Tropic replacement. Planning to go with Clarks.

Question for those old hands:

1) 5513 as well as 1680 have a thinner metal bezel construct, will a T39 SD look overkill on a 5513? on a 1665, the Superdome looks amazing as the thicker metal bezel construct balances the height of the T39 out.

2) Personal preference question: Will you go for a T19 or T39 Superdome on a 5513?

Appreciate your inputs!

Sorry to be so "straight" but a 19 is the rule in my humble opinion...

And you can't go wrong with a Clark.

There is no bloody reason to spend more money to get a genuine...

All you need is to polish the Clark so it looks "older" ;)

PS: just saw Alligoat's reply: agreed 100%

The T-39 is a beauty but on a 551* its vertical sidewalls are too tall and it just looks screwy.

BUT.......

If you have one and its dome is nicer than the T-19 there is no reason you can't grind off some of its "height" so it rides lower against the case/bezel. Just take off a couple mm from the bottom, finish the ground edges and you'll remove that extra tall sidewall.

Agreed on the clarity of gen tropics. I am contemplating on getting a gen T19 too, as the gen T127 on my 1680 + T21 on my 6263 really does make a huge difference!!

Thanks Lani, too bad WSO does not ship to where I am....any idea on the fitment of WSO's T39 flat?

Agreed on the clarity of gen tropics. I am contemplating on getting a gen T19 too, as the gen T127 on my 1680 + T21 on my 6263 really does make a huge difference!!

Thanks Lani, too bad WSO does not ship to where I am....any idea on the fitment of WSO's T39 flat?

let me Know A.. anything you need I can order for you and forward from Hawaii

I'll take some measurements with my gen T19 and see if the flat T39 matches up..

I'd normally go for T19 for date subs, T39 for no-date and SDs. They are high, but on very sporty vintage divers, so I like em. Rem that a superdome is intended for underwater enhanced redability, some sort of big cyclops, they are awesome for that.

+1 on tropical gens, they obviously look a lot nicer, given the fact that they are pricey. If you can live with it, Clarks are good stuff, there is another dealer called Taka E-mart who has very good ones, shipping from Singapore if I rem well, 25-35 bucks or so, I'd give it a look.

Interesting watch Freddy.

Clark T19 for me.

Wow! Great looking watch shawnbeaver! i want to replace my cracked t19 on my 5512 can you give me the clark site details i found a site hong kong based selling gen T-19 ( if they are gen) but cant remember the www for about 90usd whats the going rate for a new old stock gen t-19 can they still be found?

Edited by aeromatic

Wow! Great looking watch shawnbeaver! i want to replace my cracked t19 on my 5512 can you give me the clark site details i found a site hong kong based selling gen T-19 ( if they are gen) but cant remember the www for about 90usd whats the going rate for a new old stock gen t-19 can they still be found?

To find Clark look for nostalgia-2000 on ebay.