When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Champions League Prize Pool

jonthebhoy

You are indeed Alan. Barcelona play Liverpool in the first leg of their tie tonight. Should be a good game too.

Least ways if the football isn't entertaining there's a fair chance that wee Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise will continue their spat on the pitch and kick lumps out of one another.

If you see them take the pitch with a couple of short irons and a putter or two.........then we're in for a good night.

C'mon the 'Pool. (sorry Alan)

Let's not forget Ronaldinho and Eto'o's "relationship" eh JTB? All is not happy in Camp Barca...

"It really p****d me off that a team-mate should poke his nose in and say I need to think more about the team - especially when it's him who needs to think more about the group! We have the guy considered the best in the world but Samuel Eto'o is also the best in the world. I know he's slagging me off but he should have the b******s to say things to my face instead of stabbing me in the back."

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o after Frank Rijkaard claimed he refused to come on as a sub against Racing Santander and was backed by Ronaldinho.

"People think that there is a time bomb in the dressing room, but that isn't true. Rijkaard has got the team under control. Samuel Eto'o has a good relationship with the rest of the group and the atmosphere is good"

Barcelona captain Carles Puyol aka Comical Ali (he of Ryyanon's avatar :D)

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eto'o? ..we'll take him! ..come summer. ;)

He's black and not english.. he'll fit right in.

In your dreams Ape my fanciful brother...Wenger doesn't do expensive superstars with massive egos (unless they're French of course ;))

Sammy is Liverpool-bound, almost signed a few years back, and Rafa knows him from way back when he was youth coach at Real Madrid. He and David Villa will sign, mark my words ;)

Thanks for the link anyway - unfortunately couldn't get stream working, why for god's sake they make a Mac-friendly stream and make it have a WMP codec is beyond me! Real player, Quicktime, any of those would do the job, but nooooo they choose a Microsoft app. My WMP9 crashes (a bastardized Mac app) and the plugin doesn't work either. :(

QUOTE(jonthebhoy @ Feb 21 2007, 11:02 AM) post_snapback.gif

Least ways if the football isn't entertaining there's a fair chance that wee Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise will continue their spat on the pitch and kick lumps out of one another.

If you see them take the pitch with a couple of short irons and a putter or two.........then we're in for a good night.

C'mon the 'Pool. (sorry Alan)

Let's not forget Ronaldinho and Eto'o's "relationship" eh JTB? All is not happy in Camp Barca...

Just a jolly little jape by me my friend. However whilst on the subject...Eto's loss could be significant in the grand scheme of things. They're not the same force without him..............and I'm betting they are now regretting letting wee HL go as well. ;)

JTB

No fix for my online woes anyone??? please??? :pray:

Sod's law isn't it - will have Sky installed by the time of the return leg but won't need it anyway as going to the match. Grrrrrrr.............

Ok a bribe, anyone who provides technical info that enables me to watch the game tonight online (with English commentary), will get his pick from my parts box (and there's some goodies in there, vintage 'n' all ;))

C'mon man, dear old Ken's having a hard enough time as it is without having to grasp the vagaries and complex nature of Spanish footballing politics. Outside of Spain, Real means Madrid and by your own argument re. Atletico, there's no Sociedad in the competition so Real can therefore only mean Madrid. Only in front of Xabi Alonso would I ensure I didn't make that faux pas.

I was hoping you wouldn't notice that ;)

I guess it is a little annoying, like ppl assuming that saying "United" means the team from Manchester, and not from Sheffield, Newcastle, West Ham or even Washington, DC !

Similar is calling AC Milan by AC - we may as well start calling, for example, Arsenal as just "FC" because it is similar and just means sporting club.

Perhaps a little pedantic....!

we won it five times......we won it five tIIIIiiiiIImes!

:1a: :1a: :1a: :1a: :1a:barca will be better in the next leg though

So will WE my friend, so will we......

I honestly feared the worst after the first half hour but just kept :pray: - to come from behind against Barca and become the only British team to ever win at Camp Nou (never mind twice!) despite not firing on all cylinders (if only Garcia was not injured), shows immense character and spirit - and WHO'd have thought both JAR and Bellamy would be on par ;)

Still as Rafa said, it's still only half-time :unsure: but sets things up nicely for a great match at Anfield.

:drunk:

:1a:

So will WE my friend, so will we......

I honestly feared the worst after the first half hour but just kept :pray: - to come from behind against Barca and become the only British team to ever win at Camp Nou (never mind twice!) despite not firing on all cylinders (if only Garcia was not injured), shows immense character and spirit - and WHO'd have thought both JAR and Bellamy would be on par ;)

Still as Rafa said, it's still only half-time :unsure: but sets things up nicely for a great match at Anfield.

:drunk:

:1a:

don't know about you but i thought the atmosphere in the camp nou was crap compared to anfield

i visited the stadium on a weekend trip to barca, very impressive size 'n all but the trophy cabinet wasn't as impressive as the guide thought ;)

I know they are nicknamed 'The Arabs' but I'm pretty sure Dundee United are Btritish doc. ;)

Ah well, in that case I should point out I'm talking about UEFA competitions. I believe DU beat Barca in a bygone time in a strange lesser competition called the Fairs Cup which was a forerunner of the UEFA Cup.

To put things in perspective JTB, the city of Edinburgh was represented by TWO teams one year - Hibernians and Hearts (aka the Jam Tarts)! Imagine that! :blink:

(cue Edge's bitter wrath :rolleyes:)

Doc,

From Wikipedia:

The pinnacle of their achievements in Europe came later in 1986-87 when United became the first Scottish club to reach the final of the UEFA Cup.[7] Along the way, United repeated their 1966 feat of eliminating FC Barcelona, this time managed by Terry Venables and featuring British players Gary Lineker, Mark Hughes and Steve Archibald. United defeated Barcelona home and away; they remain the only British side to date to achieve this in any European competition, with a record of four wins from four games. Although they failed to beat IFK Göteborg in the two legged final, there was glory in defeat as FIFA awarded a first-ever Fair Play Award to the club for the sporting behaviour of the fans on a memorable night at Tannadice Park.[9]

As for Hearts and Hibs in Europe together........I won't hold my breath. :lol:

JTB

Ok you got me, first English team then :whistling: Course you wouldn't that mistake about 1967 now would ya? ;)

Late 80's as you know were dark dark days for us, and anyway Barca sound like they were really Spurs reserve team in disguise with the likes of Venables, Lineker, Archibald et al :lol: Not exactly top drawer as their record shows during that period.

If I'm being honest the Tangerines weren't a bad outfit in those days managed by wee misery guts Jim McLean.

As for Barca - Lineaker, Hughes and Archibald were a handful for any team and the following season they went on to win the Cup Winners Cup beating Sampdoria in the final 2 - 0.

Regarding 1967..........it's historic and indelible doc! :victory:

JTB

.....Lineaker, Hughes and Archibald....Cup Winners Cup...Sampdoria....

As I said, not exactly 'top tier' JTB :whistling:

Let's not forget that in a similar period (say from '76 to '85) British clubs won I think NINE major European trophies (Liverpool won 4 European Cups, one UEFA Cup, Notts Forest 2 European Cups, Aston Villa 1 European Cup, Aberdeen 1 UEFA Cup, have I missed any others?). Meanwhile, Barca were scraping the bottom of the 'Cup Winners Cup' barrel.

Considering Barca's heritage, you've got to say that historically they've massively underachieved (before last year, just one European Cup compared to our FIVE, Milan's SIX, and Madrid's NINE). But therein perhaps lies the rub - for so long in the 50s and 60s, Barca suffered (literally) under the fascist jackboot of Franco's Real Madrid - just mention Alfredo di Stefano to any Catalan over 50 years old and then stand well back :unsure:

That's why I cheered when Barca won the CL last year (honestly nothing to do with Arsenal losing :whistling:) - not only did they fully deserve it on the night, but it was also great to see such a proud and well-supported club finally get their reward.

Roll on Anfield, March 6th - two great teams, two great clubs, two great matches hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...