When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Champions League Prize Pool

jonthebhoy

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well put docblackrock.

It was a bit hard to stomach the result today, but i think its the end of a very hard period of away games for us.

Hopefully the players will be wound up for the Middlesborough game next saturday with this defeat still in their minds (kinda how the [censored] were after getting beaten by West Ham ;) ).

@Ken

Real won 4-1 and Van Horse-tleroy scored all 4 goals!

Well I wouldn't know would I :brow:

Because nobody has answered my bloody question! :angry:

Please :wounded1:

Ken

BBC is a good resource. I find Soccernet and The Guardian's Football section and World Soccer to be good sites to read as well.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

:rolleyes: I'll try my best not get irritated by this blatant provocation/gloating <-> Also I think we always play better when there's some craic/atmosphere around the game - unfortunately the Emirates is no better than the old Highbury 'Library'. At least our fans don't take to booing our own team at home, like you lot have done all season :blink:

What you mistake for gloating and provocation, dear friend, is relief on my part..

Watching the game with 3 very serious Liverpool supporters I was very nervous, and with Liverpool's early offside goal I saw another disaster heading our way..

I do not think Liverpool is a bad side, and I am sure us catching you on a bad run and on a bad day helped the result. Don't try to make this any less of a feat though, any top premiership team beating another 3-0 is an accomplishment.

Watching Gerrard trying to run the tactical setup of a team all alone, failing to keep the ball in the team more than 3-4 movements is not good fun for someone who loves football.

All english teams need a 'cleaner' in midfield, like Gilberto is for Arsenal, and Sissoko has been for Liverpool. You missed three vital markings, and it resulted in three goals.

Sami Hyypiä didn't do his job, and again, Gerrard had to organize the defence.

(I loved how he called out Riise for missing his mark)

And about the booing; It's a well known fact that Arsenal along with other big London clubs attract a lot of 'not-so-devoted' spectators, there to see good football, and voicing their dissatisfaction when 'their' team is struggling.

What you mistake for gloating and provocation, dear friend, is relief on my part..

Watching the game with 3 very serious Liverpool supporters I was very nervous, and with Liverpool's early offside goal I saw another disaster heading our way..

I do not think Liverpool is a bad side, and I am sure us catching you on a bad run and on a bad day helped the result. Don't try to make this any less of a feat though, any top premiership team beating another 3-0 is an accomplishment.

Watching Gerrard trying to run the tactical setup of a team all alone, failing to keep the ball in the team more than 3-4 movements is not good fun for someone who loves football.

All english teams need a 'cleaner' in midfield, like Gilberto is for Arsenal, and Sissoko has been for Liverpool. You missed three vital markings, and it resulted in three goals.

Sami Hyypiä didn't do his job, and again, Gerrard had to organize the defence.

(I loved how he called out Riise for missing his mark)

And about the booing; It's a well known fact that Arsenal along with other big London clubs attract a lot of 'not-so-devoted' spectators, there to see good football, and voicing their dissatisfaction when 'their' team is struggling.

Hmm, well relief I can understand however your original post didn't exactly focus on the good points of your team's performance...

Liverpool continues their run of shitty away games.. 5 losses in a row now? 1-12 in goal difference?Rafa should do something about that defence of his.

...instead you preferred to highlight certain inadequacies of my team, with a hint of glee I might add <_< . Happy to swap banter Ape and we've got along nicely till now, but you only have to look back a page at JTB's altercation with a gloating Rangers fan, to see how sometimes things appear. Oh and as for repeating the "Gerrard running the team all alone" media myth, well.... :yawn:

No doubt when the pain fades in a day or two, I'll break the ice and offer the hand of friendship in good spirits...but not right now. And whilst I'm feeling irritated, I'll mention that I am proud we have a manager who as well as achieving far more than Wenger, is one of the most decent, honest, and respectful around. Wenger showed his true colours last week, an incredibly bad loser, a disgrace as a role model (pushing and shoving another manager on the touchline WTF? :blink:) and a lesser man for refusing the apology of Pardew. :thumbdown:

Perhaps so, but generally that's more a Chelsea problem actually - I used to live near Highbury and sometimes sat with the 'enemy' - generally a nice bunch even when I was outed :unsure::lol:. Very knowledgeable, what I consider true fans. However, during the game, I have never witnessed such apathy and lack of vociferousness coming from these same supporters no matter what the score was. Then again, I'd probably feel the same if I had to listen to Wenger, Henry et al whining and complaining all the time.

As I said before we didn't call it the 'Library' for nothing, shhhhhhhhh now...... ;)

Fine.. I'm not going to start a pissing match over this, DBR.. But you did take it the wrong way. (I had JTB's post in mind when I posted)

In all fairness I couldn't say much about my team's performance. I was just happy they won!

And pointing out your away record was meant as a side note, and maybe a reason why the score ended 3-0.

Arsenal played like they have done all season.. Wenger does not let up, he's still in search for perfect football.

The reason we beat teams like ManU and Liverpool and draw/lose to 'lesser teams' is simply that we meet playing teams in the former.. (not counting CSKA in Moscow) Opening up and allowing runs and through balls.

And we must be reading different sources, as in mine, Wenger has accepted Pardew's private apology and moved on, admittedly after a week of sulking. In our weekly supporter's e-mail he even apologized to us, and said it happened out of love of the game.

That said, a manager being a bad loser, showing his feelings and reacting to a provocation is fine in my book. His heart is in it!

As much as I dislike a manager like Mourinho, I can't shake a stick at him standing up for his team and his players. I respect that.

'Gerrard running the team all alone' didn't come from any media, it was my impression while watching the game. He's one of the players I respect most, and seeing him work so hard without getting any results breaks a midfielder's heart. ;)

Seeing your team lose, and hearing others talk about it, always stings.. It's part of the game.

I am sorry if I came across as a gloat.

I'd never do it unprovoked as I know it might come back and bite me in the ass next weekend.

*nudges thread up the list and squeezes it in between all the 'Bond' and 'Noobmariner' threads*

Yes it's that time again folks and the biggie tonight and game of the week is the

CELTIC v Man Utd game.

I am optimistic that we can get a result tonight and as much as the bhoys should pay them respect, they should not fear them.

HAIL HAIL

JTB

*nudges thread up the list and squeezes it in between all the 'Bond' and 'Noobmariner' threads*

Yes it's that time again folks and the biggie tonight and game of the week is the

CELTIC v Man Utd game.

I am optimistic that we can get a result tonight and as much as the bhoys should pay them respect, they should not fear them.

HAIL HAIL

JTB

Do not fail me JTB :brow::pray:

After all, if Kobenhavn can do it..... ;)

Tonight's games:

Lille - Anderlecht 2 - 2

AEK Athens - Milan 1 - 0

Arsenal - Hamburg 3 - 1

Celtic - ManUtd 1 - 0

Benfica - Kopenhagen 3 - 1

S.Bucuresti - D.Kiev 1 - 1

R.Madrid - Lyon 2 - 2

CSKA Moskva - Porto 0 - 2

Many good games from what I saw tonight, though I concentrated on Real - Lyon.. Carew had an amazing game for Lyon, and they should have got more out of this game.

Arsenal almost caught a loss, but picked it up in the last half, scoring in the 83. and 88. minutes. Good thing too, with Porto beating group leaders CSKA. Nothing settled yet..

Walcott made all the difference when he came on for Ljungberg after 75 mins.

Beautiful win for Celtic, giving Utd a race for the group! Congrats JTB!

Milan losing was a bit surprising, a good keeper in Sorrentino kept Athens ahead.

Tables and more: http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/index.html

Lovely result at Celtic Park, made in Japan :1a:

Guarantees Celtic's qualification due to better overall head to head against man ure (away goals!).

Fingers crossed for Benfica to knock them out like last year :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've managed to calm down a bit and it's very late for me now. Having said that getting to sleep might prove difficult.

As much as we got the runaround in the first half, Man U were a bit toothless in front of goal and we soaked up most of their pressure.

The second half was quite different and we passed it better and put them under a bit more pressure. Naka's free kick was sublime and Artur's peno save was brilliant and justice served.

Bear in mind that Celtic have only been beaten once in the European Cup at Parkhead in 23 years and if there is a better record than that, I want to know about it.

The crowd were at their usual brilliant best and again there is no match for them anywhere.

A tired an emotional JTB

Hail Hail

Do not fail me JTB :brow::pray:

After all, if Kobenhavn can do it..... ;)

Well well well....seems my prayers (once again like my Kobenhavn dream a fortnight ago) were answered. I knew the 'Tic had the beating of them, just had to believe it. Congrats JTB :2a: another great European night to remember, all it needed was another Andy Gray classic line like "you beauty, what a hit son, WHAT a hit!!!"

Left hook from the Danes, uppercut from the 'Tic, now all it needs is for Benfica to finish off the Scum once and for all. :pray::lol:

Here's looking forward to a Celtic v Liverpool KO match in March!

As an aside, I was keeping half an eye on the match during routine surgery (ok actually an Omega bracelet adjustment ^_^ ) and when that free-kick curled beautifully into the corner I jumped up with excitement and stabbed my thumb on one of the pins :blink: OWWWwwwwww......now what is it they say about pain and pleasure? ;)

As an aside, I was keeping half an eye on the match during routine surgery (ok actually an Omega bracelet adjustment ^_^ ) and when that free-kick curled beautifully into the corner I jumped up with excitement and stabbed my thumb on one of the pins :blink: OWWWwwwwww......now what is it they say about pain and pleasure? ;)

doc,

Ouch.........I feel your pain........but what a free kick! At least van der graf generator had a go at getting it this time but thankfully he was never gonna get there......even with a bus ticket.

A Sellick / Pool final would be good indeed and there is no reason why we can't get there.....is there?

JTB

PS -

all it needed was another Andy Gray classic line like "you beauty, what a hit son, WHAT a hit!!!"

Wrong colour shirt for our Andy. ;)

A Sellick / Pool final would be good indeed and there is no reason why we can't get there.....is there?

No reason at all, Porto did it, Monaco did it and I believe the Scum scraped through back in the distant past ;) . No offense but I'd rather meet next round or QFs - later on there's too much at stake and we always play better when up against it, so to speak.

Wrong colour shirt for our Andy. ;)

Hmmm, just like McCoist ('Man Utd were poor' :rolleyes:) he may be an infamous Bluenose ('Gers, Chavs and Toffees) but for that moment against Olimpiacos he couldn't help himself and let rip with aforementioned quote. Pathetically he denied saying it immediately afterwards reverting to his usual blatant anti-LFC bias, before realising it was a memorable line, probably his only one...what a numpty :lol:

Tonight's match at Anfield - hopefully not a borefest but an exhibition of great football played by two slick professional teams who rather than scrabble about for a point here and there, qualified for the KO stages two weeks ago with room to spare. :p

Liverpool 2 PSV 0 - Stevie and Crouchinho :D

This is getting a bit embarrassing - we've now won the group with a game to spare :whistling: Athens here we come :1a:

Oh and to top it all off and just complete a joyous week of football for me, the Chavs (Chelsea) got beaten by plucky little Bremen :lol: :lol: :lol:

Somewhere under a mountain of Pam crowns, there'll be a very happy Palpatine ^_^

Well done the 'pool for winning their group. At what cost though? Injuries seem to be piling up.

The boy Kuyt is proving to be a real find by Rafa. Great workrate and seems a real team player.

To be honest Liverpool and PSV got there ultra quick 'cos (no fault of there's) they were in a 2 pisher team league. That is to say that Bordeaux and Galatasaray were mince and really only making up the numbers. And it is true, you can only beat what's put in front of you.

Anyways I've read the script and I think Liverpool will meet Lyon in the last eight. Now there's an interesting prospect for all sorts of reasons.

Whoever we get in the last 16 will be tough as, on paper, we'll be punching above our weight........but hey, I'd take PSV if you pushed me.

Just happy to be here.

JTB

PS - doc........what's that wee eejit Millar doing still sitting on the Liverpool bench?

Have you not found him out yet?

JTB,

Dirky Boy is indeed a real find - he is just made for Liverpool, as you note his workrate, team ethic, energy and link-up play are superb. A future legend for sure - there's a strong aroma of old Liverpool seeing him play, I'm talking the likes of Keegan, Toshack even dare I say it, King Kenny!

Interesting you think Lyon await in the QFs - are you giving us a bye past the last 16 then? :huh:

I agree though I think it's fated and would love to see Houllier back at Anfield, it would be fantastic, a hard-fought tactical battle but with a huge amount of respect and renewed friendships both on and off the pitch :group: exactly what the Champions League SHOULD be about, and not the whingeing, unsportsmanlike behaviour, ref threatening, and generally lacking in class antics that Chelsea and even Arsenal seem to resort to as standard these days :thumbdown:

As for Alex Miller, I don't know really, Rafa seems to like him , an 'old head' so to speak, one of the few from Houllier's era he chose to save from 'walking the plank'. So he must have something about him although he looks like a grumpy old soak to me. The other member of the holy trinity, wee bald Pako Ayesteran by contrast is a real character, a real hard trainer but loved by the players. I had heard Miller is wanted back in Scotland as manager of Dunfermline or some club like that, and I think it would be a good opportunity for him. As a replacement, I really hope we offer the job to a real Scottish legend, the one and only Gary Mac - he turned down the reserve coach job this year as it was too soon after the sad death of his wife, but he will be back in the fold in some capacity, of that I'm sure.

To be honest Liverpool and PSV got there ultra quick 'cos (no fault of there's) they were in a 2 pisher team league. That is to say that Bordeaux and Galatasaray were mince and really only making up the numbers. And it is true, you can only beat what's put in front of you.

Anyways I've read the script and I think Liverpool will meet Lyon in the last eight. Now there's an interesting prospect for all sorts of reasons.

If you mean Liverpool will get Lyon in the next round - didn't Lyon win their group, as did Liverpool, so that is not possible in the next round?

As for easy groups, the fans who were most happy with their group were Man Utd. They thought they had an easy group, seeing no other team capable of beating them. How wrong they were. They thought they had the easiest group last year too! And the year before, and before. I see a pattern here, they usually get easy groups - who do they pay off for this perennial stroke of good fortune that they still balls up?

On paper, no one usually wants Galatasary and I was a little apprehensive, but this year it has turned into an easy group, much like last year's one looked tricky as well, with Chelsea and Betis in the same group. Luck was there for the away trip to Gala as the last game :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hope Celtic top their group with Benfica coming second and going through... I'd like to see old whiskey-nose fergie taking the UEFA cup seriously as their only chance of a trophy.

Good luck to Drgoba hitting them for 6 on Sunday :o