When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Champions League Prize Pool

jonthebhoy

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How remiss of me doc. I meant to say that you are of course going to draw Man Utd in the last 16 and send them packing. ;)

JTB

Nice escape attempt JTB but UEFA rules sadly means 'country protection' is applicable; i.e. protection for the Scum against being given the boot out of Europe by Rafa's mighty army :lol: Still, I trust Benfica to do the world of football a favour and deliver aforementioned studded boot up Old Sour Puss' backside :black_eye::lol:

Unfortunately for you my friend, Scotland is considered an enemy alien to England, so you bhoys are in the firing line for a whipping at Anfield, there's a certain UEFA Cup score to settle ;)

Doc ===> :thumbsupsmileyanim:

JTB ===> :unsure:

How so, when we will both be group winners???

JTB

Quite right my apologies :blush: as long as you equal Scum's result you'll win the group

If so JTB, we can look forward to playing the likes of Barca, Real, Inter, Roma, Porto, (Benfica for us :D), and the one we all want, AEK Athens :Jumpy:

Personally I think we will get Real (shades of '81), you will get Inter (ditto '67), then from then on it's anyone's guess. If we progress, Lyon await in QF and a very strong Valencia (:unsure:) in the SF or even better the Final. That'll be an interesting one "for sure" ;)

How remiss of me doc. I meant to say that you are of course going to draw Man Utd in the last 16 and send them packing. ;)

JTB

Teams from the same country cannot be drawn against each other n the last 16 I think. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's Matchday 6 folks, the final group game...

It's win or bust for the current holders Barcelona tonight (they almost deserve to go out for letting Chelsea off the hook last month <_< ). Can the goofy Brazilian inspire his misfiring chums to the win. Or will they be left red-faced with shame? :unsure:

Last year's lucky finalists, Arsenal still have it all to do against the 2004 winners, Porto, with the strong CSKA Moscow waiting in the wings to book one of the last berths into the KO rounds. Amidst unrest (Henry wants to leave again :rolleyes:, their manager whingeing about everything, and some very poor form at home), can they rise above it? :g:

Elsewhere, the world of football unites behind the Portuguese champions Benfica as they attempt to repeat their feat of last year and unceremoniusly dump Scumchester United out of Europe. Dear God, PLEEEEASE LET IT HAPPEN! :pray:

In the same group, can Celtic round off with a win and proudly top the group? No mean achievement that...

That's pretty much it for interest's sake, I mean some of us qualified already weeks and a couple of matches ago :whistling:

Talking of which, I almost forgot :whistling: a strange twist of fate means that tonight, Liverpool return to Istanbul and the Ataturk Stadium, scene of our Turkish delight in 2005, to play out the last match against Galatasary - hopefully an enjoyable exhibition as the groups standings are unaffected whatever the results in this group. Giving Jerzy Dudek only his second start this season in goal is a nice touch - the hero returns :1a:

Roma - Valencia 1 - 0

Olympiakos - S.Donetsk 1 - 1

PSV - Bordeaux 1 - 3

Galatasaray - Liverpool 3 - 2

Bayern - Inter 1 - 1

Sporting Lisboa - S.Moskva 1 - 3

Barcelona - Werder Bremen 2 - 0

Chelsea - L.Sofia 2 - 0

Galatas beating liverpool with nothing to play for, Barca going through and Chelsea securing the group win

Barcelona's first half was GREAT, loved the football, and Gudjohnsen looked every bit as lethal as he can be in his good games

My Arsenal playing for keeps tomorrow, having to at least draw against Porto.

Henry does not want to leave, but is disappointed about what looks like an injury due to dings and dents and fatigue.

He might be rested til over new years, but with his somewhat poor form lately, it might be a good thing for the young ones having to step up and show that he's not Arsenal.

Last game day in 2006 tomorrow, and the KO stages start feb 20. Anything can happen from there on in!

Lyon - S.Bucuresti 1 - 1

Hamburg - CSKA Moskva 3 - 2

Milan - Lille 0 - 2

Anderlecht - AEK Athen 2 - 2

Porto - Arsenal 0 - 0

Copenhagen - Celtic 3 - 1

ManUtd - Benfica 3 - 1

D.Kiev - R.Madrid 2 - 2

That's it then!

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/index.html

For final tables..

Like so many of the teams already through we played as if we couldn't give a [censored] adams.

Copenhagen were hungrier and were out to prove a point although I'm not sure what that is.

I'm disappointed that we took such a 'couldn't care less' approach although if the plan was to avoid Barcalona, who look like the very strong favourites, then the plan worked.

All in all we were pish but we're through and that's what counts.

JTB

The Porto - Arsenal game was a sorry display of lack of interest..

Porto had the chances, but neither team seemed interested in attacking full out. We've seen it a few times in the world cup and such.

Makes for boring and weird games, but I guess with so much at stake, you do what you can.. ..and what you manager tells you.

The Porto - Arsenal game was a sorry display of lack of interest..

Porto had the chances, but neither team seemed interested in attacking full out. We've seen it a few times in the world cup and such.

Makes for boring and weird games, but I guess with so much at stake, you do what you can.. ..and what you manager tells you.

Saw the 'highlights'....now there's a misnomer, Ape is right :yawn: In fact, I think most of this last round was a bit strange, either nothing to play for or too much at stake. Roll on the KOs :D

Talking of which, the DRAW :Jumpy:

Friday 15 Dec folks, live from Nyon, Switzerland, 1100-1300 GMT

My prediction....

Liverpool vs. Roma/Real

Scumchester Utd vs. Barcelona/Lille

Arsenal vs. Porto/Inter

Chelsea vs. PSV/Porto

Celtic vs. Lyon

I think poor old JTB will be getting the worry beads out though - last night's poor show may cost them big time as although their 'cunning plan' has steered them clear of Barcelona, instead they face the prospect of one from Liverpool, Milan, Scum, Chelsea, Arsenal, Bayern, Lyon and Valencia.

In other words, a sphincter factor of 9.8 for the bhoys in green 'n' white :unsure:

As I said before........I think Liverpool are destined to meet Lyon at some stage and now I think it will be the in the Super 16.

I couldn't care less about the other British teams although I have a feeling we just might get Chelski and another chance to right some wrongs with that arsepiece Mourinho.

Old Trafford aside........our record against wee English teams is pretty good in recent years. ;)

Hopefully by then (February) we will have our centre forward back.

The 'sphincter factor' will apply to anyone who comes to Parkhead and now that we are in the knockout stages you will all see what a real travelling support is. What was it? 120,000 who went to Seville? Oor 12th man.

Hail Hail

JTB

I agree Houllier will be back at Anfield this season, but IMO Liverpool vs. Lyon will be a QF - when things get a bit juicy so to speak ^_^

I share your sentiment about the other teams, but I just wanted to pay lip service towards our fellow stakeholding chums like Ape, Ken, r11co etc.

Interesting you think you'll get the Chavs - if you do, I pray JVOH is back on his feet to give that aforementioned 'arsepiece' a beating - no offence but that would be a humiliating experience for him and IMHO would cost him his job ultimately. Let's hope so :pray:

I'll give you that about your travelling support (even if they weren't quite enough in Seville) but I don't think you can include ourselves in that....60,000 Scousers in Istanbul, 3-0 down at half-time and ....well, you know the rest :whistling:

Yes indeed the 'Pool boys know how to support their team also.

I am proud to say that (although we got humped on the day) I was at the Hillsborough benefit game many many years ago at Parkhead when all the fans were allowed to mix and it was, score aside, a very special day.

There was a cameraderie with tears and laughter the likes of which you may never see again.

How fitting that we share that song! ;)

JTB

So, to the learned gents of this little comp........do I still hold a valid ticket with Barcelona?

You gotta understand, that we Aussies don't comprehend what goes on in this raffle :p

But I keep on seeing ( I think) their name up in lights.. so I guess I'm still holding a ticket????

Offshore

So, to the learned gents of this little comp........do I still hold a valid ticket with Barcelona?

You gotta understand, that we Aussies don't comprehend what goes on in this raffle :p

But I keep on seeing ( I think) their name up in lights.. so I guess I'm still holding a ticket????

Offshore

You're still in Alan...

BTW: Don't worry you'll win the whole competition

and have to share the winning pot at the end with me... as i bet also on Barcelona :whistling:

And straight after answering that question can someone tell me how Real Madrid are traveling?

Ken

Ken you're also still in :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Dear Ken & Alan,

Both your teams did indeed progress, albeit in wholly uninspiring fashion and by the skin of their (buck)teeth. Barca in particular nearly faced the humiliation of being the first holders to go out in the first group stage, and now have to face one of the other group winners in the next stage.

Anway, a nice winter break now - KO rounds commence Feb 20/March 8 :D

YES!

The draws for first knock-out round is done!

FC Porto v Chelsea FC

Celtic FC v AC Milan

PSV Eindhoven v Arsenal FC

LOSC Lille Métropole v Manchester United FC

AS Roma v Olympique Lyonnais

FC Barcelona v Liverpool FC

Real Madrid CF v FC Bayern München

FC Internazionale Milano v Valencia CF

And trying to call any of them (my uneducated guesses underlined):

Liverpool facing Barca.. Out of respect for my Liverpool supporting brethren I will not hand it to Barca, but I do feel Liverpool will have a hard time beating them twice.. I am sure they will put up a good fight, and a draw/small win at home is not that unlikely.. Liverpool are STRONG in Europe.

I am quite happy with Arsenal drawing PSV, though they are by no means pushovers, it could be worse..

I think this is where Real Madrid says goodbye against Bayern München.. And Scum in their current form will creep through against Lille..

Celtic V Milan is a hard match to call, but fear the scots will take at least one beating, and it's how well the bhoys do at home that matters..

Lyon will probably knock Roma out, not too sure about this one.. As will Inter probably with Valencia, though this one is open to me..

Chelsea will go through, knocking Porto out..

There you have it, I am sure some or most of you will disagree, but it's what I'll put my money on come february.. :)

beat u to it! :p

Its a good draw for the other 3 english clubs, and real madrid v bayern will be hard to call as well

As for liverpool, im actually a bit relieved.

We play better when we are the underdogs. I remeber being really happy when we drew Benfica last year, but complacency meant we were knocked out by them.