When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Champions League Prize Pool

jonthebhoy

Absolutely!

I forgot to add of course that JVOH is the exception to the rule. :lol:

JTB

-cough-

We had Dennis Bergkamp, a stand up kinda guy.. Yes, afraid of flying, but he was a fantastic team player. Always looking out for the new kids.. And you never saw hiw throw a fit.. 'cept a few infamous ones that I am sure none of you remember anyway, so I won't bore you with those..

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-cough-

We had Dennis Bergkamp, a stand up kinda guy.. Yes, afraid of flying, but he was a fantastic team player. Always looking out for the new kids.. And you never saw hiw throw a fit.. 'cept a few infamous ones that I am sure none of you remember anyway, so I won't bore you with those..

I still don't know why Wenger never pulled that A-Team stunt on Dennis, you know, the one where they hand BA a milkshake....

'I pity the fool who tries to make BA fly, you get that sucka.....zzzzzzz'

I still don't know why Wenger never pulled that A-Team stunt on Dennis, you know, the one where they hand BA a milkshake....

'I pity the fool who tries to make BA fly, you get that sucka.....zzzzzzz'

I always preferred the Jock Stein approach..........

"Jimmy (Johnstone)......if we win by 4 clear goals tonight, you won't have to fly for the return leg."

And what happened? Jinky scored twice and made the 3 other goals against Red Star Belgrade and didn't need to travel.

JTB

Enjoyable game at Anfield tonight. Two cack defences and some great attacking play made for a good game.Although I have to say that the 'pool had a touch of the old vampire syndrome - shittin themselves at crosses..... but got there in the end thanks to the big beanpole. Thank god that Sukur seems to have forgot how to finish in his dotage! :lol:

JTB

Results:

Bremen 1-1 Barcelona

Levski 1-3 Chelsea

Spartak Moskva 1-1 Sporting

Internazionale 0-2 Bayern

Liverpool 3-2 Galatasaray

Bordeaux 0-1 PSV

Shakhtar 2-2 Olympiacos

Valencia 2-1 Roma

JTB

Aye, a shocker at home for Inter, and some will think that Barca dropped a couple of points although Bremen are not a bad team... the rest as expected really...

Enjoyable game at Anfield tonight. Two cack defences and some great attacking play made for a good game.Although I have to say that the 'pool had a touch of the old vampire syndrome - shittin themselves at crosses..... but got there in the end thanks to the big beanpole. Thank god that Sukur seems to have forgot how to finish in his dotage! :lol:

JTB

A touch of the AC Milans you mean JTB ^_^ I have never ever in my life seen my beloved Reds go 3-0 up (and should have been 5 or 6) and yet come so scarily close to dropping three points. :blink::unsure:

Never been a big fan of Crouchinho but he earnt some of my respect last night, although for me it was Garcia (yet again, our CL talisman) that impressed most. Positives are that we now top the group, and Alonso, Aurelio and Gerrard are starting to move up the gears, form-wise. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Oh and Finnan confirmed why he is the best right back in the Premiership (Cashley Cole is not fit to lace his boots) - aside from his rock-like performance for oooh about 3 seasons running, did you ever see a RB skin a LB like that and whip a perfect cross in for the third goal? Class.

Absolutely JTB, let's save the solid ruthless performances for the KO rounds. I hear King Kenny has tipped Celtic to make it through :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Still no takers for my Valencia SF side-bet? :huh: I did warn you all, way way back....

Valencia - Starting to look strong again, building up after the loss of a certain Rafa Benitez. Joaquin has signed, Morientes has a point to prove after his disappointing Liverpool career (like his loan spell at Monaco, when he knocked his employers Real Madrid out of the competition), and David Villa is quite simply, one of the most exciting young strikers around right now. Solid at the back, creative in the middle, a class act. Under Benitez, they broke up the monopoly of Real and Barca with 2 La Liga titles in 3 years and a UEFA Cup. They've also made the CL semis twice previously.

DBR's Verdict = Good each-way bet, could well go far but equally could fail to ignite - the group stages will offer a glimpse of what is to come.

I'm keeping a sideways glance at Lyon as long as they've got the bottle this time and Houlier allows them to play their natural game.

Unfortunately both those provisos are never going to happen. As a tactician, he has some major flaws and the holding and counter-attacking style that he holds dear does not allow for Plan B when the [censored] hits the fan. Trust me, I remember the despair well, none more so than Leverkusen in 2002.

Don't get me wrong, I always keep an eye on Lyon, call it sentimentality if you like as I have an (deeply unfashionable, it must be said) fondness for Houllier. He was very far from perfect but brought back some of the good times to Anfield and let's not forget almost died for the club right there on the touchline :o Witnessing the night of his return against Roma still brings a lump to the throat. I also like the way that despite his sacking, he still remains a fan of the club and watches us whenever possible. I believe he was also invited into the Liverpool dressing room before the Champions League Final in 2005 - and in an age where the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson grab all the headlines, the honest, mutual respect and decency shown by that gesture by Rafa and acceptance by Houllier, reminds me what LFC stands for.

Hey doc,

Am I winning?? Tis a bit hard to know from down here in the colonies! :p

Don't hear too much about the round ball game!

I do know however that the AFL Grand Final, will be played this weekend, with only 100,000 spectators, and a viewing audience of millions!

And what a spectacle... football... they can kick it... they can mark it... they can run non stop for 100 minutes, on a ground almost 3 times as big as a "pitch".

So if anyone wants to see real footy, just tune in to the AFL Grand Final, and see some seriously skilled athletes.

( And the Rugby League gorillas go head to head ojn Sunday night.... more like gridiron... only tougher :p )

Offshore

Hey doc,

Am I winning?? Tis a bit hard to know from down here in the colonies! :p

Don't hear too much about the round ball game!

Offshore

Alan - See here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=124280

Your team, Barcelona, are second in their group thus far. If they maintain that position they will qualify for the knockout stages in the new year.

JTB

So if anyone wants to see real footy, just tune in to the AFL Grand Final, and see some seriously skilled athletes.

Skilled at what exactly? Ohhhhh, you mean as in ear-biting, groin-kneeing and shirt-pulling :bleh:

As for 'your' team Barca, they're doing ok I guess, going through the motions. Have you thought anymore about my suggestion of actually watching (or reading) about them? Camp Nou is an amazing stadium, they have some of the best players in the world, plus their history (good and bad) and fierce Catalonian spirit (opposed to Franco's Real Madrid, a tale in itself) seems to be derived from the energy of the city of Barcelona itself. As they say in Catalan 'más que un club".

Can't be an isolationist egg-chaser all your life Alan, welcome to the rest of the world :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by docblackrock

Skilled at what exactly? Ohhhhh, you mean as in ear-biting, groin-kneeing and shirt-pulling :bleh:

Can't be an isolationist egg-chaser all your life Alan, welcome to the rest of the world :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Doc,

You are certainly talking about the Rugby League guys there.... and I agree... even tho I live in a Rugby state! However, you seriously underestimate the fitness, athleticism, and skills of the Aussie Rules guys.

And as for egg chasing.. ever tried to kick an AFL ball?... its not a lightweight balloon like the soccer or rugby balls... it takes real strength and ability to kick it ( as in FOOT ball).. let alone mark ( catch... over your head!!)....whilst 1m in the air!

I,m just stirring a little pro Oz stuff... we are putting together a few home growns to challenge the round ball boys as well :p Maybe the next World Cup? Wouldn't that be a hoot, we could have a reserves team of Aussie Rules guys to take on the runners up :D

Offshore

ear-biting, groin-kneeing and shirt-pulling

Think I saw more than a bit of this recently in Europe as well :D

Kenny:

"Benfica are mid-table in their league, so they cannot be pulling up any trees"

:unsure:

JTB

:lol::lol::lol: I assumed it was some local Glasgee expression, obviously not! Maybe Kenny with his dry sense of humour just taking the urine out of commentators who spout such crap, Atkinson and Pleat spring to mind.

Which reminds me...

the Legends match between Celtic and Liverpool on 4 October. All the funds raised will be donated to the Celtic Charity Fund - various charities nominated by Jimmy Johnstone's family and the Marina Dalglish Appeal.

Do you know if we are being shown live? :Jumpy: If you can get it recorded, would love it!

Edited by docblackrock

:lol::lol::lol: I assumed it was some local Glasgee expression, obviously not! Maybe Kenny with his dry sense of humour just taking the urine out of commentators who spout such crap, Atkinson and Pleat spring to mind.

Which reminds me...

the Legends match between Celtic and Liverpool on 4 October. All the funds raised will be donated to the Celtic Charity Fund - various charities nominated by Jimmy Johnstone's family and the Marina Dalglish Appeal.

If it's on TV at all, I'll do the necessary doc. Hansen will sort us out I suppose ;)

JTB