When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Champions League Prize Pool

jonthebhoy

Anyone else here through to the last 16 already with 2 games to spare??? Barca? Real? Chelsea? Milan?

No??? What no-one??? Must be just Liverpool then!!!! :lol::bleh:

:1a: :1a: :1a: :1a: :1a: .........and in Athens, :1a:

REDS THROUGH TO LAST 16 IN STYLE

Liverpool have qualified for the last 16 of the Champions League after two goals from Luis Garcia and a first of the season for Steven Gerrard gave them a 3-0 victory over Bordeaux at Anfield while Galatasaray were beaten by PSV Eindhoven in Holland.

The Reds only needed to better the result of the Turkish Champions to guarantee their place in the knockout stages and Garcia and Gerrard's goals helped them achieve that and stay top of Group C with games against PSV at Anfield and Galatasaray in Turkey to come.

Bordeaux now have only UEFA Cup qualification to play for and their miserable night was compounded when their midfielder Fernando Menegazzo was sent off for a headbutt on John Arne Riise midway through the second half.

The Reds opened the scoring in the 23rd minute when Garcia crashed in a volley from Gerrard's right wing cross. And they fought off a brief Bordeaux fightback at the start of second half to make it a hat-trick of consecutive wins in the Champions League.

There could have been no more popular scorer of their second goal after 71st minutes when Steven Gerrard raced onto Zenden's pass and finished coolly to bag his first goal of the season. A packed Anfield rose as one to acclaim their dynamic Captain.

Luis Garcia put the finishing touches on a successful night for Rafa's men when he sped through to score his second of the night and make it 3-0 after 76 minutes.

Momo Sissoko and Sami Hyypia both came close to making the scoreline even more emphatic in the closing minutes, but there was no one leaving Anfield disappointed after Liverpool once again gave their fans the opportunity to dream.

Edited by docblackrock

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else here through to the last 16 already with 2 games to spare??? Barca? Real? Chelsea? Milan?

No??? What no-one??? Must be just Liverpool then!!!! :lol::bleh:

You're forgetting PSV... They also had the mighty Bordeaux and Galatasaray....:whistling:

Tonight will probably see Man Utd through, and Real could also go through tonight with 2 games to spare...

You're forgetting PSV... They also had the mighty Bordeaux and Galatasaray....:whistling:

Tonight will probably see Man Utd through, and Real could also go through tonight with 2 games to spare...

Oh won't anyone let me have at least 24 hours of gloating, pffff :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway, there's no Scum on this board (not out and proud at least) so what happens against the mighty Kobenhavn is immaterial. But yes, of course you're right, if you beat a tough Steau side tonight then yes you'll join us in the next stage - about time we met up again in this competition don't you think?

Paris '81 was such a long time ago ;)

Edited by docblackrock

Oh so Real are doing ok then, funny the way everyone was talking we were just making up the numbers.

Ken

Don't worry Ken, Real will be there or thereabouts... They're 'on the up' so to speak!

And yes Doc, a rematch would be good and about time, although Lyon are the more likely group winners at this stage...

Oh so Real are doing ok then, funny the way everyone was talking we were just making up the numbers.

Ken

Yes Ken you are doing ok....apart from suffering a humiliating 4-0 football lesson against Lyon in an earlier group match, a team you have to play again in the next match after tonight's match. :whistling:

Actually, I'm surprised you plumped for Real in the first place Ken, based on what I imagine your character to be like. I'm referring to their history of fascist rule and bankrolling, their arrogant transfer dealings, and 'look at me I'm richer than you' Galactico mentality (think Harlem Globetrotters of football), being more concerned with commercial activities and boardroom infighting than what goes on the pitch. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Madrid, just that before Chelsea came along and took on the mantle, they had become the epitome of everything that is wrong in the game.

@doc.

So I threw a dart at a board for Barcelona... please tell me whether I am alive, just breathing... or DOA!

Not much news of them here of late. ( And none about this comp downunder.... obviously we didn't get to qualify!) But all part of the fun.. I s'pose... would be good to know what I am betting on. Soccer is it ? :p

Offshore

PS @ jtb... You would not beleive the " call to arms" thats going on down here for the Test series.

Most tests sold out, a huge marketing campaign to have everyone in green and gold... supporters clubs...I've never seen anything like the hype being generated. I seriously hope that it doesn't start a Pom bashing cult ( either verbal or physical) ( We do have some other race related probs going on here at the moment) and I wonder if some of our "youth" may not realise that Pom is a word of endearment.

Well its beyond my control... Watch this space.

Offshore

Nothing from tonight's games would please me more JTB, 'cept perhaps a 89th minute Danish strike to put the Scum in their place but unfortunately both cannot come to pass, hmmm which do I want more :unsure::g:

(sorry mate :whistling:)

Yes we do rely on Fergies Fannies to do sumfin tonight and much as it will break your heart doc - I think they will! Not so confident about our lot tonight especially with JVOH, Gravesen and Wilson out.

JTB

PS @ jtb... You would not beleive the " call to arms" thats going on down here for the Test series.

Most tests sold out, a huge marketing campaign to have everyone in green and gold... supporters clubs...I've never seen anything like the hype being generated. I seriously hope that it doesn't start a Pom bashing cult ( either verbal or physical) ( We do have some other race related probs going on here at the moment) and I wonder if some of our "youth" may not realise that Pom is a word of endearment.

Well its beyond my control... Watch this space.

Offshore

And I thought PoM was an RWG term only! :lol:

Seriously though - they must be taking this revenge thing quite seriously!

I wish I could be confident but with the injury list that the Poms have.........I can't.

Not sure Flinty has the tactical nuance of Vaughny, and, he may not even be fit enough anyway!

JTB

Not so confident about our lot tonight especially with JVOH, Gravesen and Wilson out.

Well at least you won't give away any goals then ;)

Apart from hating the Scum, I will still be roaring on FC Kobenhavn for three other reasons...

1. God loves an underdog.

2. They deserve something after knocking Ajax out against all odds to get here.

3. We share a great sponsor, probably the best sponsor in the world ;):group:

Games for Wednesday

AEK Athen - Lille 1 - 0

Milan - Anderlecht 4 - 1

Hamburg - Porto 1 - 3

Arsenal - CSKA Moskva 0 - 0

Copenhagen - ManUtd 1 - 0

Benfica - Celtic 3 - 0

R.Madrid - S.Bucuresti 1 - 0

Lyon - D.Kiev 1 - 0

A very pleasing result for Copephagen, always nice to see Man U get one on the mouf..

Arsenal abused a LOT of chances, and CSKA defended well..

Celtic conceded an early own goal.. Set the mood for the match maybe..

Group A Pld Pts

CHL 4 10

BRM 4 7

BAR 4 5

LEV 4 0

Group C Pld Pts

LIV 4 10

PSV 4 10

GAL 4 1

BDX 4 1

Group E Pld Pts

LYO 4 12

RM 4 9

STE 4 3

DYN 4 0

Group G Pld Pts

CSK 4 8

ARS 4 7

POR 4 7

HSV 4 0

Group B Pld Pts

BAY 4 10

INT 4 6

SCP 4 5

SPK 4 1

Group D Pld Pts

VAL 4 10

ROM 4 7

OLY 4 2

SHK 4 2

Group F Pld Pts

MU 4 9

CEL 4 6

BEN 4 4

FCK 4 4

Group H Pld Pts

MIL 4 10

LIL 4 5

AEK 4 4

AND 4 2

Celtic got hammered!

Oh dear, I fear for you once JTB sees this :black_eye: ...I can see his itchy trigger finger on the 'ban' button now.

Damn and blast!!!! I just had a feeling Copenhagen would beat the Scum 1-0, I think I even dreamt it last night. Hard to explain, but that's why I was idly suggesting it in my earlier post. And there I was thinking about putting some money down and got as far as checking the odds online, would have got me a nice and tidy 15-1 :wounded1: Oh well, at least I still have the pleasure of taking the [censored] out of some Scum-supporting pals and colleagues :bicycle:

Edited by docblackrock

Celtic got hammered!

You enjoyed that didn't you? I can tell - my observational skills are nearly as good as yours.

Fact is we gifted them their first two goals and then we were chasing the game. Anyways it makes it 3-3.

I was also sorry to here that a lot of people on the Glasgow underground failed to get home to Govan tonight...................DUE TO A POINTS FAILURE AT IBROX!

:angry:

JTB

You enjoyed that didn't you? I can tell - my observational skills are nearly as good as yours.

Fact is we gifted them their first two goals and then we were chasing the game. Anyways it makes it 3-3.

I was also sorry to here that a lot of people on the Glasgow underground failed to get home to Govan tonight...................DUE TO A POINTS FAILURE AT IBROX!

:angry:

JTB

err.. No, I didn't enjoy that. Why on earth would I want a Scottish team to lose to anyone overseas?

I think you have been amongst the reprobates in "the jungle" too long, and enjoy that sort of schadenfreude.

I want all Scottish teams to win in Europe (Yes, even Hearts!), and failing that, the English teams to win in Europe. The fact is that Celtic got hammered, just as they themselves hammered Benfica a few weeks ago.

I appreciate you are annoyed, but it's quite childish to revert to slagging-off my team, just because you lost.

It also looks particularly gloomy for Celtic tonight with United putting on a poor show in Denmark. I still have my fingers crossed that Celtic will scrape though in 2nd place,

I hope they do!

Can you say that?.. Were you cheering Rangers on when we needed a draw at Ibrox against Inter Milan last season to go though... I hope you were, but I doubt it. You probably donned a Nerazzurri shirt.