When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rwg Champions League Prize Pool

jonthebhoy

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it's what many of us Reds feared but now it's happened, I say BRING IT ON!!!!!

I suspect Barca won't be overjoyed either - both teams are dangerous. Hopefully Sammy Eto'o will not be fit for at least the first leg (he'll be joining us in summer anyway, ooops you didn't hear that ;)), but just think if we do them like we did Juventus and Milan, then we'll go all the way to Athens. Number 6 calls :1a:

Annoying though as Scum have bought...drawn the easiest draw, very undeserved after their pathetic performances in the group stages. Gooners (Arsenal) get a fairly easy ride in PSV. Interesting one for Mourinho getting Porto, his former team will be fired up for that one - again a potential P45 (unemployment slip) waiting ;)

I fear for Celtic though - I really hope they catch Milan in poor form - it's not impossible and I would like to see it just for JTB's sake :pray: Regardless they've got nothing to lose.

As for the others, there's some cracking matches ahead - truly the big boy stages - Real vs Bayern will be interesting, just hope it's not a snoozefest :unsure: . Lyon will progress as will Valencia - the Spaniards are my 'dark horse' this year ;)

Bye Bye Liverpool, and Celtic in the next round.

Sorry guys but it's plane tickets not next round tickets you'll be needing.

Edge

There speaks a Hearts supporter - all wishful thinking. Dream the dream of Champions league my son for it shall remain nothing other than so for thee. (jtb Chapt. 26 Verse 67 - from the Book of Gie Yersel a Slap)

I have to agree with doc that we (The 'Tic and the 'Pool) got the rough end of the draw, however it's all about fight now and who has the stomach for it. Barca are missing HL - their true match winner (Still can't believe he's gone to Fergusons lot) so I give Liverpool a little chance. Mark "toothy" tight and they're not the same. A rake of the studs down Deco's calf and he's a goner as well.

If AC don't improve then we have a great chance of going through as I don't think they are anything special at the moment. They will [censored] their knickers at Parkhead.

As for the rest of the British teams - I couldn't care less.

Hail Hail

JTB

Since I'm ill at home and therefore incredibly bored, here's my own assessment of how things will shake down in the last 16.....

Firstly, couldn't put it better myself JTB - certain teams always play better as underdogs, and at this stage it's all about strength, tenacity and character. For me, Barca are no great shakes without the departed Larsson and injured Eto'o, and as yesterday's defeat in Tokyo showed, keep it tight, put it 'up them', and they'll fold. No disrespect to anyone but this is by far THE tie of the round - the past two year's winners with plenty of links and some (friendly) scores to settle on both sides.

I plan on being there for both legs and fancy someone like Johnny Riise, Agger or Gonzalez to pop up and be the conquering hero. Tonton, Chronus and Admin - PM me about the GTG we talked about last month ;)

Milan are indeed a shadow of their former selves - IMO Celtic will never have a better opportunity to claim a glorious scalp and progress - they need a clean sheet at Parkhead though to have any chance I feel.

Unlike JTB I can't claim not to care about the other English teams - I really hope that Lille somehow play out of their skins and beat Scum, preferably by a late and painful away goal. Not (just) because I hate Scum, but I really believe they do not deserve such an easy tie given their pathetic displays in the group - losing to a fired-up Celtic is one thing but Kobenhavn??? :thumbdown: And now their so-called league form at home has finally taken a dip (now the fixture list is starting to balance out), the cracks are starting to show.

I'd also like to see Porto beat Chelsea - far from impossible - if only to get Mourinho the big boot up his [censored] he so sorely deserves. Oh and to once and for all rid us of the media-perpetuated myth that Fat Frank Lampard is world class :rolleyes:. Unfortunately, I concede they have too much quality for the Portuguese and they will likely progress. :unsure:

Arsenal - well I know Ape is reading this so I'll be kind - but unlike events at Anfield given similar results this season, I see some truly worrying signs coming out of the Emirates, not just inconsistent form but low morale generally. Henry is whingeing about leaving again (just GO for god's sake man!) and Wenger seems hell bent on reclaiming the most obnoxious manager award from his counterpart at Stamford Bridge. Not the best preparation for a Champions League tie with PSV who will present a more difficult proposition than the side Liverpool beat in the group stage.

More than probably any other team, Real really need the two months' break and try to sort themselves out. Ditch Beckham in the Jan transfer window, give Guti his position supplying Van Horseface, also cut out the other dead wood no matter how expensive the dead wood was, and they may, just may have a chance at progressing. But don't hold your breath.

Lyon - I sense they will once again flatter to deceive and fold when it matters most - hopefully not at this stage though as I said previously, I believe fate will bring Ged back to Anfield this year - it is almost the perfect QF :pray:.

Oh and as I have predicted all along, right from the start, Valencia will go a long way in this year's tournament.

The rest? Meh.....

• 2 months later...

The hour is nigh. Come on the Hoops!

Hail Hail, the Celts are here,

What the hell do we care,

Hail Hail, the Celts are here,

What the hell do we care now...

For it's a grand old team to play for,

For it's a grand old team to see,

And if you know the history,

Its enough to make your heart go,

Di-de-da-ra,

We don't care what the animals say,

For we only know,

That there's gonna be a show,

And the Glasgow Celtic will be there.

Sure it's the best darn team in Scotland

and the players they are grand,

We support the Celtic

'cos they are the finest in the land we love them.

We'll be there to give the Bhoys a cheer

When the league flag flies,

And the cheers go up 'cos we know the Scottish Cup

is coming home to rest at Paradise.

JTB

Dinnae panic!
What you mean like Capello? :lol:

Here's some happy reading for you Ken ;)

Madrid deny Capello quit reports (Last Updated: Monday, 19 February 2007, 19:21 GMT)

Real Madrid have denied Spanish media reports that coach Fabio Capello was planning to leave the club this week.

Spain's Cope radio station said Capello would sit on the bench for Tuesday's Champions League match against Bayern Munich before leaving the club.

"We were very surprised by the reports that appeared in the media," club spokesman Miguel Angel Arroyo said.

"It hardly contributes to the right atmosphere on the eve of such an important match as tomorrow's game."

Arroyo added: "Reports like this only serve to destabilise the club and we'd like to express our surprise and dismay about this type of report.

"In this world you can assure very few things, but I can guarantee that that the board has not received any resignation from Fabio Capello either verbally or in written form."

Arroyo refused to confirm whether Capello would definitely be in charge for this weekend's derby at Atletico Madrid.

"There are few things in this world that can be guaranteed," he said.

"But I guarantee that the board have certainly not received any resignation."

Capello has come under fire following a series of poor results, which saw Madrid lose three out of four games either side of the winter break, before suffering an embarrassing home defeat to struggling Levante a fortnight ago.

Madrid fans called for Capello and club president Ramon Calderon to resign during the Levante match, but the board publicly voiced their support for the coach in a news conference the following day.

The Madrid faithful were again left frustrated on Saturday when their side were held to a disappointing goalless draw at home to Real Betis.

Madrid are fourth in the Primera Liga standings with 42 points, four less than joint leaders Barcelona and Sevilla.

Celtic 0 Milan 0

PSV 1 Arsenal 0

Lille 0 Scumchester United 1

Real Madrid 3 Bayern 2

So the 'Tic hold their own at home against mighty Milan (a game of catenaccio if ever I saw one). Still, sets up the potential for a famous win in the San Siro for the Bhoys, 1-0 another Nakamura free-kick and JTB could still yet dream of Athens (ok then the QF at least ;)). I for one will be cheering them on.

Arsenal were poor and didn't deserve any more than they got from the unfancied Dutch team who to their credit played well, and could have scored a couple more. Perhaps the strain of all those domestic cup tie replays, extra time and penalties are starting to tell - Wenger's minions certainly looked drained and they'll need more a lot more va-va-voom if they are to progress - plus there's always the danger of the away goal. Worrying times for last year's finalists.

Real Madrid - Ken's adopted team - got off to a flyer and despite having to resort to recalling Beckham (refuge of the desperate given their recent form) they looked like killing off the efficient Germans. Yet Real being Real, a late lapse of concentration and a former Barca player pops up with a second away goal, meaning a Bayern 1-0 win next time on German soil will spell the end for Real. Sorry Ken but you know it's coming.....:unsure:

And finally, Scum Utd <_< ....Well putting aside my obvious hatred of the club and all it stands for, it must be said how incredibly PAINFUL it was to witness yet another amateur scrappy Sunday League performance from the Mancs. Appalling and uninspired against a very weak French side, they degrade this tournament by their very presence at this stage IMO. In the group stages they limped through despite losses to both Celtic and the mighty FC Copenhagen, yet still failed to step it up a gear tonight.

Still cometh the hour cometh the dodgy ref - Lille had a good goal disallowed then walked off the pitch temporarily in protest (how very French :lol:) when United's Giggs took an 'early' free kick into an empty net. The goal stood much to the disgust of the French side and their fans. The sheer relief and over-inflated arrogance on the faces of the Scum said it all. They had cheated and won, and they knew it. Of course they're still eminently capable of f**king it up big-style at Old Trafford, but regardless I look forward to them getting the humiliating spanking they so richly deserve in the QF, their exit stage of choice over the years.

Let me get this right...........Real (against all odds) defeat the mighty Bayern...........even so Bayern now only needs to go home and win a match 1-0 to kick Real out of the championship :unsure: .................and you wonder why I don't follow this stupid game :rolleyes:

Ken :wounded1:

Let me get this right...........Real (against all odds) defeat the mighty Bayern...........even so Bayern now only needs to go home and win a match 1-0 to kick Real out of the championship :unsure: .................and you wonder why I don't follow this stupid game :rolleyes:

3-2 Ken, so a 1-0 win for Bayern Munich means an aggregate score of 3-3, but the German team would then go through as they scored 2 'away' goals.

And don't worry, we all know you don't follow this "stupid game" otherwise why else would you pick Real? :lol:

Anyway, only 24 hours to go before THE BIG ONE....Liverpool vs Barcelona, Doc vs Offshore, Admin vs Thor....:boxing:

And finally, Scum Utd <_< ....Well putting aside my obvious hatred of the club and all it stands for, it must be said how incredibly PAINFUL it was to witness yet another amateur scrappy Sunday League performance from the Mancs. Appalling and uninspired against a very weak French side, they degrade this tournament by their very presence at this stage IMO. In the group stages they limped through despite losses to both Celtic and the mighty FC Copenhagen, yet still failed to step it up a gear tonight.

I wish that the French have taken their team out of the game.. <_<

man ure - what dirty cheating tonight... scoring before the other team has even got ready. Pure cheating by them - how much did they pay off the ref this time ? Or is it blackmail? Even Chel$ea haven't found the price for referees so I think it must be blackmail.

I am utterly disgusted by them and the media who said their was nothing wrong.

Both teams are pretty poor right now - Bayern may not even make qualification for next year's competition, probably for the first time ever?

Oh yeah, Real (in Spain) refers to Real Sociedad... so it's better to use the full name, or Madrid (as Atletico didn't make it here).

It could be either of these teams going through!

Oh yeah, Real (in Spain) refers to Real Sociedad... so it's better to use the full name, or Madrid (as Atletico didn't make it here).

C'mon man, dear old Ken's having a hard enough time as it is without having to grasp the vagaries and complex nature of Spanish footballing politics. Outside of Spain, Real means Madrid and by your own argument re. Atletico, there's no Sociedad in the competition so Real can therefore only mean Madrid. Only in front of Xabi Alonso would I ensure I didn't make that faux pas.

Anyway back on topic, like V said I really hoped the French would have walked off as it would have brought things to a head (i.e. dodgy ref and their cheating), rather than now they have got away with it. Whilst I grudgingly accept Giggs was clever and tried it on, it should never been allowed to stand and the fact that they had to resort to such tactics in desperation after playing so poorly against a poor team and THEN have the gall to complain about Lille's reaction shows why they are not-so affectionately known throughout the UK as THE SCUM.

God I wish there was at least one of them on this board (c'mon, I know you're out there, lurking, and reading this <_<) - every thread needs a troll after all :lol:

3-2 Ken, so a 1-0 win for Bayern Munich means an aggregate score of 3-3, but the German team would then go through as they scored 2 'away' goals.

And don't worry, we all know you don't follow this "stupid game" otherwise why else would you pick Real? :lol:

Anyway, only 24 hours to go before THE BIG ONE....Liverpool vs Barcelona, Doc vs Offshore, Thomas vs Thor....:boxing:

Geeze Doc, Am I still in this? And here I was about to do a little trolling... saying what a fine team the SCUM were! :rolleyes:

But what would I know... we don't even play with round balls!

(Although I did read a report on the MU incident... and it didn't sound...... kosher)

Have I won anything yet? When do I collect :D

Offshore

Geeze Doc, Am I still in this? Have I won anything yet? When do I collect :D

Yes Alan, you're still in it...well at least until tonight ;) when your team (2006 and 1992 winners) meet my team (2005, 1984, 1981, 1978, 1977 winners) on your turf (Camp Nou, amazing stadium holds about 80,000). On paper Barca are slight favourites, however that's just how Liverpool like it, we always play better when underdogs, and as we know nothing is played 'on paper' :D. Should be a very hard match, we will want to keep things tight at the back whilst try to score a valuable away goal on the counter-attack. You will want to win 1-0 or 2-0 but if we get an away goal you will have it hard in the return leg at 'Fortress' Anfield in a fortnight. Given that there's no one team elsewhere on fire right now, whoever wins this clash over the two legs I believe will be favourite to go all the way.

There is also some interesting history at stake - Liverpool have beaten Barcelona several times in European competition, most recently when KOing them out of the UEFA Cup semi-final in 2001. Ironically, Barca's promising 18-year old goalkeeper in that tie, Pepe Reina, is now Liverpool's goalie. A year later in the Champions League group stage, the Catalans got their revenge with a well-deserved win. Liverpool's manager, Rafa Benitez, has a 100% record against the Spanish side at their home ground from when he was manager of Valencia a few years back, and was the architect behind Valencia's break up the monopoly of Real/Barca in winning the Primera Liga twice in 3 years. before leaving to join Liverpool in 2004 and winning the Champions League in his first season. Suffice to say he is a tactical genius who knows how to beat Barcelona, as do a lot of Liverpool's Spanish players and those with experience in La Liga such as Alonso, Garcia (sadly injured against his old club), Reina, Aurelio, Sissoko, Gonzalez, Arbeloa etc. There will no doubt be a personal battle in midfield not least between Ronaldinho, arguably the world's best midfield 'creative' and Gerrard, arguably the world's best midfield 'general'. It's also been good to see the media interviews highlighting the enormous amount of mutual respect shown between the teams, not just amongst the players but former players too (Cruyff, Dalglish etc.). Unlike the likes of Scum Utd and Chelsea (aka Chav Scum), both clubs have class and are fiercely proud of their heritage and traditions. Whatever the result there will be handshakes and congratulations all round as opposed to the unsavoury scenes like at Chelsea (Barca's players were racially abused by Chelsea staff) and against Arsenal in last year's final (Henry's and Wenger's attempts to outdo each other in the Worst Losers of the Year award).

Excited yet??? I am, as you can probably tell. Whatever the result, I hope it's close to make the return leg even more tense and atmospheric.

BTW since this match is only being shown live on Sky here in UK :thumbdown: if anyone knows how to get get live footy stream on a Mac (Ape sent me a link but don't have windows media player plugin and nothing else has worked) please let me know :pray: . I can't go out to my usual haunts to watch it as I am supposed to be multi-tasking and packing as we're moving house next week :(

cheers!

Geeze Doc, Am I still in this?

You are indeed Alan. Barcelona play Liverpool in the first leg of their tie tonight. Should be a good game too.

Least ways if the football isn't entertaining there's a fair chance that wee Craig Bellamy and John Arne Riise will continue their spat on the pitch and kick lumps out of one another.

If you see them take the pitch with a couple of short irons and a putter or two.........then we're in for a good night.

C'mon the 'Pool. (sorry Alan)

Whilst the 'tic were disappointing last night, we didn't concede a goal and are still in the competition. Roll on the San Siro.

JTB

It's all been said really.. The Arsenal looked so much like they have done in recent cup and league matches that I didn't expect anything near the end.. Where was Hleb? Where was Rosicky's altruistic and defence-splitting runs down the left/middle?

Cesc should have scored it, so should Henry.. Adebayor didn't pass the ball enough, wanting to show he's IT now.

Senderos is turning into a new Cygan..

It was miserable.. Van Persie is missed up front in games like these, and I'd like to see Ljungberg play, as he's the one who always manages to bring the ball into the box, no matter how stressed out he looks.

I fear the away goal at The Grove, but I am sure we'll pull through and stick in there for a few more games.

I refuse to applaud PSV though.. They did in no way impress me.