When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Size vs Wrist Size

Tressles61

+1 44 and down, unless the watch is thinner. The thinner the watch is, you can usually go a hair bigger. In my case I can get away with a SOH 46 (which is like 50mm including crown) but because it is thinner than say a 44 PAM or Steelfish, it wears just fine. Same is true with something like a PAM 183, bigger diameter but thinner.

Thank you plaifender. All of the watches that I'm interested in are 45mm. I particularly like the Seamaster and they make a Pro that's 41mm. The 45.5mm does not look out of place on you so it should work for me too.

I should just go to a jeweler and try on a watch. I just can't look them in the eye cause they know what you're up to!

Edited by Tressles61

• 1 month later...

Is there a rule for the depth of a watch? For example, I've fallen for the Ingy (42.5mm), but given my 6.5" wrists, not sure if its too thick (14.5mm). Any advice?

IMO I think 42.5 @ 14.5mm thick is perfect for a 6.5 wrist. My Skyland is 44mm wide and 18mm thick and it looks fricken good man! Note: if you wear long sleeves with tight cuffs 18mm won't fit under the cuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Seconded. I also have 6.5 inch wrists and think the Ingy looks great.

As an aside, while some good guidelines above, there's no hard and fast rule. I think the shape of the case, as well as a the size of a person's forearms also make a difference aesthetically. If you have a small wrist but perhaps more muscular forearms, you might be able to get away with a larger watch.

There are really no golden rules about this. It all depends. What the watch is on, leather strap vs. metal bracelet. How the lugs are shaped, do they bent down and hugs the wrist or straight. The lug width. Thickness of the watch. The actual dial diameter. Even dial color (lighter dial color will make the watch looks bigger sometimes). Finish of the case... etc.

Your best bet is to go to a local AD and try the watches on your wrist and keep the mind open.

Cougraree is right. The local AD is definitely your best bet. The shape of the lugs also matters. Case in point, the Santos 100 chrono has the lugs sitcking out a bit in comparison. Then the thick leather strap prevents it from 'hugging' your wrist so you have this gap on both sides. The SA lugs are pointed downwards and the bracelet wraps around your wrist so although it is big, it hugs your wrist. You have to check it out from the AD.

OKay, more pragmatic approach perhaps. Some people have very flat wrists, some have rounder style. The shape of the watch case/lugs will play a large part in this, ie Breit SO Heritage is a big watch but the shape moulds to the wrist. a uboat not so much and a Panerai Big E , fagetaboutit. Bottom line, it is as much about balls as wrist size, if you like it then kuss mein arsche to the rest :pardon:

it depends really

Big watches recently [2,3 years ago] have come into fashion.

I have a 7" wrist, and my daily beater is a 42mm bce

I also wear my graham which is a 45.5mm without any probs, it's a bit chunky and weighty to wear as a daily beater though, there was a time when I only had the graham and wore iot every day. I wouldn't recommend wearing your best watches every day because you start to grow tired of them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...