When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Congrats Canada !

Dudemeister

Congratulations to team Canada for their thrilling win and gold medal in hockey. That was a fantastic game.

We'll meet again in 2014 in Sochi.

And congrats on organizing a great Olympics.

I think defense decided this game. Both Canada goals in regular time came from defensive mistakes. The first one was so and so... but Whitney screwed up royally in the second one.

Rafalski was the best d-man of the tournament but Crosby's OT goal came from his soft play.

Missing Komisarek and Paul Martin was a tough one. They were very important d-men for the US team (both were out, didn't make it to the Olympics because of injuries).

I'm pretty annoyed to be honest. I wanted USA to take this one for a change. But congrats to Canada of course. Great team... they truly deserved it. Before the tournament everyone was talking about Russia and their superior talent. I knew they'd blew it.

PS: Merged 2 threads together.

Forgive Canada for their uncharacteristic display of national pride. Forgive them for showing amazing grace in this win. Forgive them for displaying what should be the Olympic Spirit where the athletes shine brighter than any flag or anthem. May all nations host with such spirit of sport.

That was AWESOME. What a nail biter and what a way to finish the Olympics and to finish a crazy series. To see Canadian patriotism actually displayed and in full force was such a warming thing to see. To see my kids cheering away and feeling so excited to be Canadian and singing the National Anthem couldn't help but bring a smile to our faces.

Miller was on fire the whole series...and what a way to have a rematch. We were getting so nervous when the US brough the pace up continuously after the first 2 Canadian goals...wow.

Great series, great finish, and great games overall.

Excellent video C, good to see the Canadian spirit in the Bahamas. I like the old Winnipeg t-shirt! Awesome!

I was downtown and it was absolutely insane! The weather was perfect, the crowds were perfect, the vibe was perfect! There were so many people on Granville and Robson, it was insane. They closed bus service and bridges into downtown to try and keep a lid on it. And if anyone has been to Vancouver, or knows Vancouver, we were on Granville and looking south to the Granville bridge and it was a sea of red sweaters walking over the bridge into downtown, no cars, or buses, just people. I've never seen anything like it.

Unfortunately, I grabbed the camera with a dead battery, so I didn't get a lot of pics or video. But I did get this on my iphone.

photoom.jpg

Being from the US and been fortunate to have lived and worked in Vancouver for several years, I couldn't be happier for the people of Canada. I learned to love hockey from these great people and though I wanted the US to win, I was just as happy. It was one of the best sporting events I have ever seen (all sports included).

Doubt? No. Still wanted the US to win? Yes. Getting tired of the constant flow of text messages from my Canadian friends talking trash? Yes.

It certainly was a great tournament, and its a shame that they only happen every few years. As a Canadian I wouldn't expect anybody outside of Canada to understand how much the game means to us. Hockey is not just a game in Canada, its a way of life. Its the thing that has boded generations of fathers and sons, sitting in front of the TV to watch Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night. Its what brings the small rural towns together, gathering at the arena every weekend to watch family and friends partake in the great Canadian game.

I don't think the rest of the world understands our frustration, that this is only our second Olympic gold in 50 years! Until recently, Canada would only send amateurs to world championships and Olympics, as our best were committed to their NHL teams. To watch the so called "amatuer" Russian army teams dominate was something that cut very deep for many years. Beginning in 1972, when Canada defeated Russia in a series that will never be forgotten, the final game being the greatest game ever played IMO, Canada began to realize the importance of playing seriously on a world stage.

More recently, Canadians are feeling more frustration as our game slips away from us. Thriving Canadian cities like Winnipeg and Quebec City have lost their teams, and the NHL is doing everything in their power to stop Hamilton from getting one. Yet, uninterested U.S. cities seem to have no problems. Florida has just as many teams as Ontario for Christ's sake! Our junior system, by far the greatest in the world, has more and more opened its doors to U.S. and European players. I would guess that 90% of the players that took part in the Olympics got at least some of their training in Canada.

Yet, with all the resources that we have shared with the world, we still find a way to win. It has nothing to do with skill, resources or money anymore. It all comes down to one thing when you are Canadian. Heart! It is the one thing that we will never give away to the rest of the world, and the one thing that they will never be able to duplicate. It is something that has been learned, and passed down through the generations, in the arenas, on the ponds, and in the streets. The games always end the same way, no matter the score, with a cry of "NEXT GOAL WINS!".

That is why Team Canada won on Sunday, simply because they'd been in that situation a million times before.

Personally, I never understood Canadians' "protectionism" about hockey... those slogans... like "Hockey is Canada's property", etc. English invented soccer but Argentina, Italy, Brazil and Germany have won all major soccer titles... England has only one major win. Soccer is a worldwide sport because there's always that element of surprise... the game is played EVERYWHERE, it's not anyone's "property". Should we think that when Brazil wins the World Cup, part of the credit should go to England? No.

It's not good for the sport if it gets dominated by only one or two nations, or is heavily labeled as "Canada's sport". We all know Canadiens invented it. So what? Does it have to be repeated every day... or does it take something away from the Canadians if the sport gets more popular... and if some other countries win occasionally? I think no. And you know.... if this were a basketball game I would have rooted for the Canadians. :D

Hockey is a big sport in many countries. The Olympic hockey final gets worldwide recognition, even among people who are not hockey fans. I think Americans should learn to respect their only international sports more, which are basketball and hockey.

USA team going to the Olympic hockey final is 100 times bigger thing (internationally) than winning the Superbowl or "World Series". Baseball and American football get virtually ZERO recognition outside the US and Canada. There's a big difference between a local sport and an international sport. That's why Americans should be proud about this achievement and Canadadiens should promote hockey to become even more international, not being overprotective and uber-nationalistic about it. This from a guy who played in the local junior leagues for 7 years... I love the sport.

Just my 2c.

Personally, I never understood Canadians' "protectionism" about hockey... those slogans... like "Hockey is Canada's property", etc. English invented soccer but Argentina, Italy, Brazil and Germany have won all major soccer titles... England has only one major win. Soccer is a worldwide sport because there's always that element of surprise... the game is played EVERYWHERE, it's not anyone's "property". Should we think that when Brazil wins the World Cup, part of the credit should go to England? No.

It's not good for the sport if it gets dominated by only one or two nations, or is heavily labeled as "Canada's sport". We all know Canadiens invented it. So what? Does it have to be repeated every day... or does it take something away from the Canadians if the sport gets more popular... and if some other countries win occasionally? I think no. And you know.... if this were a basketball game I would have rooted for the Canadians. :D

Hockey is a big sport in many countries. The Olympic hockey final gets worldwide recognition, even among people who are not hockey fans. I think Americans should learn to respect their only international sports more, which are basketball and hockey.

USA team going to the Olympic hockey final is 100 times bigger thing (internationally) than winning the Superbowl or "World Series". Baseball and American football get virtually ZERO recognition outside the US and Canada. There's a big difference between a local sport and an international sport. That's why Americans should be proud about this achievement and Canadadiens should promote hockey to become even more international, not being overprotective and uber-nationalistic about it. This from a guy who played in the local junior leagues for 7 years... I love the sport.

Just my 2c.

Good points BT, but Canada has not dominated on an international level for many years. Peoples perception that Canada always wins, is simply incorrect. We have always dominated Junior hockey, but with our oustanding junior system, thats to be expected. Whether its a good thing if Canada wins or loses does not matter, we will always come to compete with the only ambition being a gold medal. That is all that matters to us, Silver medals are for the best of the losers and mean very little to us.

Is it a bad thing if Canada wins 4 golds in a row? I'll let you know after the 2022 games ;)

Actually USA won both U18 and U20 titles this year. :)

And I agree, Canada was truly a deserving Olympic champion. That wasn't my point... and their win over the Russkies was impressive. As a general fan of the sport I'd just like to see more competition.

Switzerland is one country that has many great young players coming. It can take 10 years but I think they'll be competitive. It's the biggest sport of the country now.

Actually USA won both U18 and U20 titles this year. :)

And I agree, Canada was truly a deserving Olympic champion. That wasn't my point... and their win over the Russkies was impressive. As a general fan of the sport I'd just like to see more competition.

Switzerland is one country that has many great young players coming. It can take 10 years but I think they'll be competitive. It's the biggest sport of the country now.

Yes, I am well aware that we lost the U18 title this year. First time in a long long long time though.

Personally I thought the competition at the games this year was very good. Canada was beaten by the US, and taken to a shootout against the Swiss. The Slovaks took us to the dying seconds of the third period. Sweden looked great until they were upset. Only the US were able to walk through unscathed, due in a large part to good seeding. But overall, I thought there were a lot of teams that were very competitive.

Here's what the game came down to in my eyes... The team that wanted the gold more won it. And my hat is off, and in awe, to Sid The Kid. Here's a guy with all kinds of hype surrounding him at age 22, and what does he do on stage in front of the whole world? He not only lives up to the hype, he exceeds it. It could have easily gone the other way for him after getting nothing but air on that late breakaway shot 1-1 with Miller, too. But he came through and now has both a gold medal and a Stanley Cup under his belt in less than a year. And, really if you look at it from an accomplishment standpoint, he's done more in his career by age 22 than the likes of Mario Lemieux had done at that point in theirs. Of course that doesn't translate to what he'll do for the rest of his career, but looking ahead for this kid I do think the sky is the limit...

I agree. Crosby was great. He must play through all that pressure all the time and still he consistently performs great. I don't know where the hostility comes from... probably jealousy. People can't stand it when a young kid has been placed on a pedestal. But it's not his fault, he's just that good.

Let me see... he now has Stanley Cup and Olympic win within a year. As a team captain and an assistant captain. He's not Wayne or Mario yet, but I'd say that's still pretty amazing for a 22-year old.

You are right Chief, Sid really did live up to the hype. Don't forget, it was Sid that ended our game with the Swiss in a shootout. Two big wins courtesy of his stick. Its funny how some say he was pretty much invisible throughout the tournament, but you have to remember he was probably double teamed every time he stepped on the ice, freeing up room for his team mates. With all that he still managed to win games! Gotta hand it to him.

Exactly. It is a team sport, and having Sid on the ice created opportunities for others. Same thing when Sundin played for the Canucks. He didn't put up good numbers, but he sure opened up the ice for his line mates.

Also, big monkey off Luongo's back. He proved he can win in the big game.

v40_22437857.jpg