When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: Montblanc Sport Chronograph

dovo1695

The Montblanc Sport Chronograph

Sino-German Underdog Extraordinaire

img1801best.jpg

Although this watch has been around for a little while, it really hasn't garnered the fanfare it deserves. The definitive review was written by Swatchman in March of 08. I didn't see Lanakai's striking review of this watch until a few months ago and have been thinking about the watch ever since. I saw him bump the thread a few months later to give it additional visibility. Since Lanakai has handled a few hundred replicas in the past few years, I figured that the Montblanc sport must be something special. Boy is it. I was sufficiently impressed by it that I wanted to write a review to give this bad boy some more visibility.

I think this is one of the most underrated reps available. It's way better than my Porikka. This is the first replica that I've held that was completely convincing to me. Even with the SOSF, as good as it is, you can still just kind of tell that it's not the real thing even though you can't quite put your finger on why. This watch has the fit and finish to be genuinely convincing. I'll donate $10 to RWG in the name of the first person who can find a flaw with the dial, bezel, engraving, case, or crown. No kidding.

I took the liberty of tracking down some gen pics off the web for comparison purposes. If you find pics of a gen that show a flaw I haven't found, please post them.

img1755best.jpg

facecompk.jpg

Dial:

The dial is very nearly flawless. I say very nearly because although I can't find a single flaw, there must be something amiss. I just haven't been able to find anything yet! A gold star to the first person that can find a flaw with the dial! If you find one, post the flaw and I'll update the review an acknowledge your contribution! :D

Lume:

The lume is slightly greenish on this watch whereas the gen I've have seen in person had white lume. Strangely though, when I look at the watch on the montblanc website, it looks like the lume has the same greenish hue. I personally prefer the way the watch looks with the greenish lume. It's really striking.

The good news: Functionally, the lume is very good for a rep. Above average but it doesn't have the same longevity as super-lume. Each of the lume triangles is centered exactly, and I mean exactly, in the center of each of the triangles. Not one lume marker is off by 1/10 of a mm off center. I read a review from a few years ago that suggest that lume application wasn't as good as on the gen. I can't imagine how mine could be better. Perhaps they improved it. I wish the SOSF had this kind of quality control!

Hands:

The hands are also very nearly perfect. The shape and size of the hands are truly remarkable. Even the star on the chrono second hand is top notch. I can't find a flaw. A gold star to anyone who can show one!

Bezel:

Once again, the bezel is almost perfect. I can't find a single flaw. A gold star to anyone who can!

Datefont: Alas, the datefont is not correct. Additionally, as Swatchman indicates, the view finder does not magnify as much as the gen.

Pearl: The pearl on this is a bit off. If you look closely at the photos above, you'll note that the pearl is slightly larger on the replica than on the gen. Also, it's not luminous like the gen although the odds of anyone noticing this in the dark are a bit slim. Why is it always the pearl that causes problems in replication? Seems like it should be a pretty easy thing to replicate. In any event, it is a difference you could only see if you were really looking for it in the dark and had a genuine side by side for comparison.

Bracelet:

I really love the bracelet on this thing. It feels really solid and German engineering tight. The solid end links are not just great, they are perfect within fractions of a mm. Swatchman indicated that the bracelet had sharp edges. I don't find it to be all that sharp. It certainly isn't uncomfortable. To the extent that mine has any sharpness, its something you can only tell when you press down hard with your finger and rub back and forth. It's not something that I notice while wearing it. I'm curious to know if the original reviewer was just unlucky or perhaps they've resolved the problem at the factory in the intervening 2 years.

img1697s.jpg

Bracelet Star: The star on the bracelet is not engraved into the side but rather countersunk and affixed. The fit is good enough that I didn't notice it until Swatchman pointed it out in his review. I take some comfort in the fact that Pix didn't either. This doesn't really bother me however because it isn't apparent visually at all. I'm going to have to go to the AD to take a second look at the gen to see whether its engraved or affixed.

Engraving:

The engraving is simply amazing. I'm not sure you could find a flaw with a loupe. Same deal applies: if you find a flaw, post it below and I'll update the review. There's no way that the engraving could be completely perfect.

img1720j.jpg

engravingcomp.jpg

Crown: I can't find a single flaw. Let us know if you can! The star on Swatchman's crown was offset by 1/10 of mm. Mine might be as well but I can't see it with the naked eye and I've looked really hard. Please note that I'm not talking about the shape or dimensions of the crown guard itself, (which is perfect within fractions of a millimeter). I'm talking about the star logo at the end of the crown which may or may not be accurate within 1/10 of a millimeter!

img1673b.jpg

crowncomp.jpg

Caseback: I had trouble finding a picture of a gen caseback. It's so shiny that it's really hard to photograph. Just the same, it looks just about perfect. The primary difference that I see is that it lists the model number whereas the gen does not. I'm not sure if this is a version issue or a legitimate flaw. You can bet I'll be going to the AD to find out!

img1826b.jpg

casebackcomp.jpg

All in all this is a great replication and a truly beautiful watch. If you like the looks of it, try it out at your local AD. If it suits you, buy the rep. This is one watch where you won't be disappointed.

For more information check out these 3 reviews:

Swatchman gives an extremely thorough magnifying glass and macro inspection

Swatchman's White Glove Review

Pix blows us away with a crystal clear macro laden pictorial

Pix Pictorial

Lanikai reminds us that the he's photomeister as well as the rafflemeister!Lanikai's Review

Dovo

Another very impressive writeup. Damn I really, really enjoyed this with a cup of coffee.

An excellent replication too. The bracelet and SELs are definitely something out of ordinary.

I love this watch as well...I went to the Mont Blanc store in NYC last time I was there and tried on the blue faced gen and it's a stunning watch. I'm actually saving up for the gen at the moment, but i may buy a rep in a different color to add to the collection. Great review.

@ TwoTone,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I really enjoyed writing this review; it's an amazing watch! I've got to admit though I was a little worried when I went into the "Other Brands" area and the post was gone. I thought I had deleted inadvertantly! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks again.

@ Bytor,

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the review over a cup of coffee! I can't tell you how many of your reviews I've enjoyed while drinking my morning cup of Joe. Thanks a lot!

@ Deniz21

You are correct, the pearl is larger on the Rep than it is on the gen. I pointed this out in the review though so no cigar. The $10 donation is still up for grabs!

-Dovo

Small questions: Have you had it pressure tested? And how is AR?

I haven't had it pressure tested. I'm curious as to how it would perform now that you mention it though. At the moment, I'm living in the Albany NY area and I've only found one person in a 50 mile radius who even works on automatic movements let alone pressure tests them! He's a pretty competent guy though and might have a pressure tester, I think I'll give him a call to check. My guess would be that the chrono pushers would be the weak link in the chain. There are some members who swim with their chronos, but conventional wisdom dictates that chronos should stay out of the water. This one will be staying dry. :rolleyes:

Both the Gen and the Rep have single sided AR. I would describe the AR on the rep as very light, but of good quality. You can tell that it's there but its not obtrusive. On the Swiss SOSF I just received, the "AR" coating was comparatively heavy but of poor quality. The "AR" on my rep SOSF actually made the dial more reflective! Not so with the Montblanc sport. Just the same, I think the AR is probably one of the weak points of the replication (like most reps).

@ Fakemaster,

The dims are 42mm (excluding crown) wide and ~15mm tall. I'll take a picture of it with my SOSF to give it a reference point. This watch is going to look great with a suit!

img1833t.jpg

Nice reviews by both you and Swatchman!

Noticable flaw in your The Montblanc Sport Chronograph (Dial):

Dial has one small visible impefection. The "L Swiss Made L" is slightly lower in position on the GEN compared to the Rep. On the gen, the top of L lines up with the triagle hour markers. On the reps, the bottom of the L lines up with the triangle hour markers.

--

The Montblanc's surely aren't getting the attention they deserve. I've had my eye on the 43mm Chronograph Automatic (picture attached from Silix's site), beauty of a watch. Does anyone own this watch? It'd be great to see a detailed review.

post-372-126807033428_thumb.jpg

Edited by polo147ax

WOW, I didnt know they repp'ed Mont*****cs? This is the only MB model I would buy, and I was very close to pulling the trigger on a gen blue one!!! I think they are stunning and truly under rated. Now I know there are reps around I might just jump on board :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks for your thoughts and pics of this beautiful piece. ENjoy it......

Noticable flaw in your The Montblanc Sport Chronograph (Dial):

Dial has one small visible impefection. The "L Swiss Made L" is slightly lower in position on the GEN compared to the Rep. On the gen, the top of L lines up with the triagle hour markers. On the reps, the bottom of the L lines up with the triangle hour markers.

You are correct sir. We have ourselves a winner. I'm not sure how I missed that. You have a keen eye for detail! I'll be donating $10 to RWG as per my review above. It's a small price to pay for the amazing advice and great reviews RWG has provided to me over the past to years. Congrats Polo!

-Nick

You are correct sir. We have ourselves a winner. I'm not sure how I missed that. You have a keen eye for detail! I'll be donating $10 to RWG as per my review above. It's a small price to pay for the amazing advice and great reviews RWG has provided to me over the past to years. Congrats Polo!

-Nick

Thanks Nick! Your donation will alleviate some of the guilt I had for being a "free loading" forum user. Glad I could finally contribute something useful.

Again, nice watch, wear it well!

-Rob