When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wow -expensive TAG replicas - Good or Bad?

castlemountain

I just saw this Carrera Racing with working regulator and Swiss 7750 for USD 788 at Joshua's site. I got a little shock - I guess the working regulator count for something and the Swiss 7750 I guess must be quite a bit more expensive. The regular Carrera Racing is now down (I think) to USD 238 - so the new better version is now 3 x the price.

Carrera Racing working reg Swiss 7750

I also saw the the Day Date Carrera to USD 968 - the same Swiss 7750, working reg, double side AR and made with a real watch as pattern. It still has the blue screws though. B)

2008 Day Date, Double AR 1:1

Fairly nooby as I am - I am not quite sure - I think I have seen prices like this before when new models arrive and then little later the real price is announced. But then it is the same price and here it is differentiated.

In one way it can be good as I think the Racing price has gone down.. However the two other (just 2 examples) has skyrocketed, and it seems unreal - it might not be - I do not know the prices for Swiss 7750. Of course starting production if it's a completely new model costs.

So more differentiation might be good - some more highprofile models - but if it's mainly up it is not so good. Also here most of us want the best - although I think I would be happy with the old Racing. :)

So what do you think?

for my taste they are to expensive for a tag rep :thumbdown:

Basically I agree, too expensive for me as well. The good part I guess is that quality might go up, everybody wants better quality.

However is anybody going to buy them?

Also I wonder is the reason that Swiss 7750 so much more expensive? and so much better quality?

Also saw the Racing at Trusty's for USD 1 188..

I would rather have 5 watches to the Racing quality (USD 240) than the Racing at Trusty's site :D

Carrera Racing with Swiss 7750

I think a new Swiss 7750 is 440usd

Thanks - Jkay - so a big difference - then USD 788 isn't that bad if you count in the Swiss 7750.

Gran - I think it is about half what I can buy one for used where I live - Norway, that might be better for me.

For a rep it's a crazy price - and still I think Trusty has the Racing for USD 1188..

To me it seems like strange timing with the crisis and not so much money around producing very expensive reps, but perhaps the "rich people" will move into reps ;)

And the funny thing is that there is a very high change that from a a technical point of view the Swiss ETA 7750 needs a full service overhaul, because big chance those are older stock movements. Fyi, after around 5-7 years in stock all oils are dried out inside the movement. used or not used, does not matter...

So I would rather service the Asian 7750, which then will have a similar quality and reliability as the Swiss ETA version, and for a lot less money..

Just my 2 cents.

If you want the Swiss 7750 it's worth it. As stated before the movement costs over $400 by itself. Swapping it out may not be so easy either with the hand swap and possible case modifications to get the movement to fit. I wouldn't say it's cheap but it is fair.

HOW FIT IS THAT BIRD ^ ? I will PM you my number to give her cos she must of lost it or something

Anyhow

I think the question of real swiss might come it play though, given the apparent arrival of the new 7753 and all the Asian ETA clones you have to admit there is some doubt

And the funny thing is that there is a very high change that from a a technical point of view the Swiss ETA 7750 needs a full service overhaul, because big chance those are older stock movements. Fyi, after around 5-7 years in stock all oils are dried out inside the movement. used or not used, does not matter...

So I would rather service the Asian 7750, which then will have a similar quality and reliability as the Swiss ETA version, and for a lot less money..

Just my 2 cents.

hooky - That is one thing that would keep me fom buying it.. ;)

Silly Money for average watches IMHO, but I have to say the Day Date was calling to me in the AD the other day so I might go for the A7750 version one day.Given the a7750 12-9-6's reliability its hard to justify these prices really

stormtrooper4 - So not much more quality or reliability, even though you pay more – interesting.

This as other says it is no reason to update to Swiss.

Carrera Racing is like 2500-3000 used gen.1100 for a rep is insane.

Dani – as I have seen you also are a Norwegian – I think you are right about the used price. I just remembered a friend of mine bought one – but it was really an ordinary Carrera.

As you say USD1100 (or really 1188) for the Racing is insane – approx 800 seems to be justified, but still really steep..

If you want the Swiss 7750 it's worth it. As stated before the movement costs over $400 by itself. Swapping it out may not be so easy either with the hand swap and possible case modifications to get the movement to fit. I wouldn't say it's cheap but it is fair.

fool2 – It seems like the upgrade might be fairly priced, however if you do not get much more than a Swiss mvmt, for me it's not worth it. But still we can choose – which I think is OK – but I choose not to buy :whistling:

Anyhow

I think the question of real swiss might come it play though, given the apparent arrival of the new 7753 and all the Asian ETA clones you have to admit there is some doubt

stormtrooper4 – I don't understand what you mean – do you mean it's doubt that you get what you pay?

The 7753 is a new version of the 7750 I vaguely remember - that can accomodate a function?

I was really curious if these prices were totally new reps, but they don't seem to be. Most seem to think the price is too high for mainly a Swiss 7750. The Racing from Andrew at USD 1188 I don't understand at all. OK - it doesn't have the blue screws B)

Good to see I was not the only one shocked :)

Thanks everyone for the input!

Ultimately it depends if the movement is a sealed pack from ETA, or if it's just sitting in the plastic holder/container exposed to air. If the movement is in the sealed manufacturer's pack, you don't need to worry about servicing; the packs are vacuum sealed and hence there is no air to have any detrimental impact on the lubricants. This is why the sealed packs cost more than your average surplus movement from supplier 'xyz'. Their shelf life is longer...

If you read up on the little white lies from some dealers, you'll find you are much better off buying an Asian movement watch and having one of the modders add an aftermarket movement. This way you'll know the providence and know what you are actual getting.

That said, I would buy the Asian watch and wear it with pride until there was a problem. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ultimately it depends if the movement is a sealed pack from ETA, or if it's just sitting in the plastic holder/container exposed to air. If the movement is in the sealed manufacturer's pack, you don't need to worry about servicing; the packs are vacuum sealed and hence there is no air to have any detrimental impact on the lubricants. This is why the sealed packs cost more than your average surplus movement from supplier 'xyz'. Their shelf life is longer...

Thanks for the info, ubi! This might mean that you never know what you get.. The movement should be just as good it just needs service, I suppose. Of course then it is no good reason to get the Swiss ETA, as I understand the asian movements are dependable.

Also my reason for posting this was

1. is it reasonable the extra cost - imo it seems fair for some of the reps as the movement costs USD 400 and it is also some other small upgrades.

2. is it any reason to buy them? IMO again it seems like it is not, as for me it is not important if the mvmt is asian or swiss.

3. perhaps most interesting is there any other differences? The Day-Date Carrera on Trusty's site says it is a NEW rep made with a gen as pattern. So it should be better - it says with double AR, with working regulator, although still the blue screws.. It still is a ridiculous price; USD 968 - but I like to see the reps getting better.

For that price it is not likely anyone will buy it, so we might never know if it's better.. :mellow:

New DayDate Made with gen as pattern

If you read up on the little white lies from some dealers, you'll find you are much better off buying an Asian movement watch and having one of the modders add an aftermarket movement. This way you'll know the providence and know what you are actual getting.

That said, I would buy the Asian watch and wear it with pride until there was a problem. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hammy - I agree with you about the buy - in fact I have a DayDate with asian 7750 and I will not change it for a Swiss :D It is more fun enjoying what you have - and I really like it!

So I guess I will not mod mine.. I would get another rep for the price instead.

I was really curious about why this was done? Also it seems like a strange time for expensive reps in the middle of the financial crisis. :g:

Thanks Ken - I didn't know - it is quite a few Norwegians here :)

Ja nesten alle her er Norske

selv sjefen for rwg er norksi :whistling:

Hva slags klokker er du fan av da?

Hilsen

Gunnar