When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPS - the parcel that never arrived although signed for

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does UPS say it was delivered specifically at your address? I had sent a package to somebody once and UPS said the address on the package was not a valid address and they ended up delivering it to another building 5 miles away. At least they had record of what address it was delivered to and we were able to track it down and get it to the right place.

My Pioneer turntables was delivered by UPS, I was very anxious because a lot of money was here and it was my first big delivery by postal service.

I've read many forums talking about UPS and I've heard many times that UPS was delivering the parcel to others people when the actual owner was not here. Even one time I've seen a guy saying that the UPS postman left the package to someone in the bar just next to his house. Hopefully it was really a friend of him.

I think it's written in there close that UPS can delivery to anyone near to the exact address if the actual owner of the parcel is not here.

Hopefully I was at home when the UPS guy came.

I hope not so much money was involved & everything will be sorted out for you!

Best regards.

PS

My UPS driver who has delivered to my house for probably 10 years told me that the rules are the package MUST be delivered to the address on the package and signed for by an adult at that address. IF no one is available they are supposed to leave a door tag which gives you the option of going to the UPS facility to pick the package up, or you can sign a waiver on the door tag which gives the driver permission to leave the package the next day with no signature except for your signature on the door tag. IF it is a package that doesn't require a signature, they often will leave it with a neighbor. We live out in the country and UPS leaves packages for my Son and daughter in law who live close by, at our house all the time, but they have never left a package of their's here that require a signature. Nice thing about living in a rural area, almost no turnover of drivers, and they know everyone on their routes.

Looks like your driver took a shortcut, scribbled something on the scan machine, and dropped it off somewhere else. Maybe at his house.I would stay on UPS and make them find it or replace the contents of the package.

I would start by getting a scan of the address label on the package (or in UPS's system) to be sure the sender got it right (I cannot tell you how many times a shipper will place an incomplete or incorrect address on a package, which results in its being delivered to the wrong address).

That's crazy, sorry to hear that! I haven't had any bad experiences with UPS, but it's bound to happen I guess. The more you do/use something, the greater chance of problems occuring at least once or twice. Like panerai153 said, the driver probably took a shortcut :thumbdown:

I would keep communicating with UPS for sure!

I would start by getting a scan of the address label on the package (or in UPS's system) to be sure the sender got it right (I cannot tell you how many times a shipper will place an incomplete or incorrect address on a package, which results in its being delivered to the wrong address).

It states my address and my name! But I did not get it!

Just because your neighbors say they don't have does not mean it's true. :wounded1:

Yes that is true, so I now will get my baseball bat, go over and find out if he is lying or if I have to excuse myself for my slightly behaviour...give me 5 mins, I am right back!

No, he does not have it! I allready asked the neighbors before posting this thread!

Years back when I was living in Houston, I ordered some stuff and had it shipped via UPS.. Weeks later when it didn't arrive I chased it up and they said they delivered it to me.. When I asked for verification they hemmed and hawed and finally said, "We didn't recognize the address and since we had a customer with the same name (5 miles away) we delivered it to him.. they wouldn't even offer to retrieve it! I went over and introduced myself and the guys wife turned white.. He wouldn't come to the door but they gave me my stuff.. missing some pieces.

Another time I filed a claim against obvious damage to a monitor I shipped back to Hitachi for servicing.. They denied the claim up to when I sent a bunch of stuff to their CEO via registered mail that had to be signed for... It was settled in 24hours.

I will not use UPS for anything unless I have to. even then I may wait.

Good luck.

Hi there!

Here a my UPS story:

Officially I received a parcel via UPS on the 05th.03 . If checking the status with the tracking code, you can see that I apparently signed for it at 10:14

I had a package sent UPS that was supposed to be signed for. Showed up a month after the fact via USPS in the form of someone putting it in my mailbox after it had been opened and checked out (was a gift I was purchasing for someone else). I had already called and had a new one sent out again which arrived before the other one showed up. When I got the other one I returned it to the store but was told I could keep it or return it for my money back. This was through Tommy Bahama.

My UPS driver who has delivered to my house for probably 10 years told me that the rules are the package MUST be delivered to the address on the package and signed for by an adult at that address. IF no one is available they are supposed to leave a door tag which gives you the option of going to the UPS facility to pick the package up, or you can sign a waiver on the door tag which gives the driver permission to leave the package the next day with no signature except for your signature on the door tag. IF it is a package that doesn't require a signature, they often will leave it with a neighbor. We live out in the country and UPS leaves packages for my Son and daughter in law who live close by, at our house all the time, but they have never left a package of their's here that require a signature. Nice thing about living in a rural area, almost no turnover of drivers, and they know everyone on their routes.

Looks like your driver took a shortcut, scribbled something on the scan machine, and dropped it off somewhere else. Maybe at his house.I would stay on UPS and make them find it or replace the contents of the package.

Rural area huh :g: Sounds to me like you live close to Big Muddy :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Any time a driver leaves something in your mailbox or at your door, in your mailbox or on your porch, if it is a "signature required" package, you should call UPS or FedEx and report the incident. That should be done at a high enough level that there will be some reprecussions to the driver. by company policy he is supposed to leave a door tag that states he made a delivery attempt and no one was home. It tells you that you can either pick up the package at the UPS facility, or sign the waiver that allows the driver to leave the package with your signature on the door tag as the required signature. If it's a valuable package, probably the safest thing is to pick up the package at the UPS facility, rather than letting it sit on your doorstep all day.

Any time a driver leaves something in your mailbox or at your door, in your mailbox or on your porch, if it is a "signature required" package, you should call UPS or FedEx and report the incident. That should be done at a high enough level that there will be some reprecussions to the driver. by company policy he is supposed to leave a door tag that states he made a delivery attempt and no one was home. It tells you that you can either pick up the package at the UPS facility, or sign the waiver that allows the driver to leave the package with your signature on the door tag as the required signature. If it's a valuable package, probably the safest thing is to pick up the package at the UPS facility, rather than letting it sit on your doorstep all day.

I go and pick them up when I can. I also try to plan and take off days when I am getting shipments so that they don't just sit on the porch all day. I get really nervous when they are out all day because people are triflin around my house and take packages lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have been very busy with my parcel problem and have found the following none-official result. It seams that the UPS guy left the parcel in front of my door, signed that I received it and then left. It lay there for half a day and one night, (most likely less), as I did not leave the house that day, because I work from at home!

The diver called me up today, as he was questioned on the case and offered me 100

The decision is yours

I had a friend who was a prolific shipper from the Far East (never watches I might add)had the same thing happen to him he got over £2K GBP !!!! (he was an argumentative b'stard though)

Dont forget that it has moved on from mere insured value.. negligence, adverse publicity et all now creeps into the equation

Edited by narikaa

I had a UPS to Royal Mail (in UK) shipment that required a signature delivered to someone else in my building, who then left it lying on my doorstep (in the hall), and then it got stolen. After several weeks managed to get the insurance paid out. I was lucky. Makes you wonder what is the freaken point of requiring a signature. To top if off now whenever i have an expensive shipment coming in I always put a note on the door saying "Please dont deliver packages to other apartments or leave them in the hall", these notes inevitably disapear within a day or 2.

That is a tough call. You dont want all your local drivers to be piS$ed off at you. Might make future shipments hard. :( But then it would be nice to think him getting fired would be an good example to the rubbish drivers out there. Could could be frank with him "your laziness cost me €350, i can get €100 from the company, and Id really like there to be less bad drivers out there ...". It does suck that he'll lose his job, but it means someone else will get it and odds are they wont be as rubbish ...

Hi!

I have been very busy with my parcel problem and have found the following none-official result. It seams that the UPS guy left the parcel in front of my door, signed that I received it and then left. It lay there for half a day and one night, (most likely less), as I did not leave the house that day, because I work from at home!

The diver called me up today, as he was questioned on the case and offered me 100

I had a UPS to Royal Mail (in UK) shipment that required a signature delivered to someone else in my building,

MJ, are you thinking of USPS as I didnt think UPS got RM to do their deliveries. Not being clever mate just be interested to know if UPS do that at all.

As for what to take from the delivery guy mate I would say the full amount your owed and no less.....If his job means that much to him he will find the money afterall it was his laziness and uncprofessional action that caused this

in addition how many times has he done this before and if he gets let off lightly how many times will he do it again.... he put his job at risk not you demand whats yours mate afterall next time it could be one of us...

Good luck

I agree with PeteM. I would hold his feet to the fire. He know's he's in a bind. if he gets fired, that's a blemish on his employment record. plus those are pretty good jobs, nothing to sneeze at. I would simply tell him, "I can get 100 Euros from UPS, then they fire you. I'm out 450 Euros, because of your laziness and fraud (signing for the package, forging your signature). So here's the deal, If you pay for my package I'll forget the claim, but if you won't pay any more than UPS is offering, then i'm going to take the insurance and get the rest in satisfaction that your lazy ass isn't going to mess with anyones packages ever again. It's up to you".

I agree with PeteM. I would hold his feet to the fire. He know's he's in a bind. if he gets fired, that's a blemish on his employment record. plus those are pretty good jobs, nothing to sneeze at. I would simply tell him, "I can get 100 Euros from UPS, then they fire you. I'm out 450 Euros, because of your laziness and fraud (signing for the package, forging your signature). So here's the deal, If you pay for my package I'll forget the claim, but if you won't pay any more than UPS is offering, then i'm going to take the insurance and get the rest in satisfaction that your lazy ass isn't going to mess with anyones packages ever again. It's up to you".

Exactly. Exactly the way it should be handled.

It's not a tough job...you either deliver the package to the correct person...or you don't... not rocket science...

I work in finance and I've seen people canned for a lot less- and we consider it serious... what if those were important legal documents, something sentimental or irreplaceable, etc? Maybe yours was "just" a watch but what about the next guy?

I'd make that case to him and wait for your 450 Euro...it's the least you should be reimbursed- this was no fault of your own- there is an identifiable party clearly "in the wrong".