When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quick review of a couple of Rolex crowns

Luna

I recently bought some crowns and thought I'd post a few pictures to show what they are like close up.

Both of these are sold as genuine, and they both look better than any reps I've seen, but I'm not sure if they really are gen or not.

The first are vintage style crowns from the ebay seller ojjk18. These were listed at

Interesting, but I'd figure them as CN copies of the gen crown. These copies have been out for at least 1-1/2 years now.

That yuki crown is a bit pricey to boot, I've been buying used gen crowns for $20-30 on the bay. But didn't I notice Yuki having a 24-7030-0 tube for $11? May have to try that one out.

Also, a pic of the inside of the crown would be cool. Even though the gen crown is a 'wrap'- metal inside wrapped with an ss cover, the walls are very thin. Rep crowns typically aren't as thin. But it's good to see the rep crowns copying the gens finally!

Thanks for posting, Luna.

Thanks for the replys! :drinks:

Here are the insides. The left is the ebay one, the middle is Yuki, with Yuki's $11 tube, and the right is Cousin's Swiss made one, which is the worst of the 3.

I also bought 2 of Cousin's tubes, one had a long thread, the other short :thumbdown: On the right is the one with the short thread.

3224130.jpg

I have bought a few crown/tube sets from the seller parts4rolex and they look and feel pretty good. I have just ordered some more so will add pics of them when they come in - I bought 6 from him direct and it worked out to $18 and change/ea with the shipping. I think a thread with a bunch of crown options is a good idea!

Thank you for the information. I plan to change my crown on a new watch. How do you take the crown off the stem?

Thanks

you need a pin vise to hold the stem. And you may want to heat the stem in case the previous installed used some thread lock.

Nice topic! How about some talk about 5.6mm and 6mm Twinlock crowns? I need a Brevet "+" Twinlock crown for my 6536 but hate to spend $300 for it.

Are there any alternatives?

Nice topic! How about some talk about 5.6mm and 6mm Twinlock crowns? I need a Brevet "+" Twinlock crown for my 6536 but hate to spend $300 for it.

That is a lot of money :Jumpy:

The ebay seller in my first post gives the choice of 5.35, 6.1 and 7.3mm crowns, in the same listing for the same price. I chose the 7.3mm. Unfortunately there aren't any pictures of the other ones, but it might be worth asking.

He also mentions that he has date discs, not sure which ones, but some members were looking for some after Eurotimez stopped delivering.

I need a Brevet "+" Twinlock crown for my 6536 but hate to spend $300 for it.

No aftermarket alternatives that I know of for Twinlock-sized crowns. Yuki has a very nice 8mm Brevet for less than $200, which seems very reasonable, especially compared to the price for gens (let alone NOS gens). Just be glad you do not need a gen gold 6mm Brevet

048-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

• 9 months later...