When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

something completely different.... at least for me

stilty

What do you think?

Not much of a gold guy, but thought I would give it a go. Hard to get a dial shot, but the dial is pretty much shot anyway. An old color change, but the laquer is quite damaged.

dialshot.jpg

a bit of purple hue showing through

colorchange.jpg

datefont.jpg

sideshot.jpg

16803 between the lugs

engravings.jpg

crownposition.jpg

caseback.jpg

frontshot.jpg

and a wristie for good measure

wristshot.jpg

Well, this is from some parts I had laying around.

Gen dial and insert I've had for ages. They came in a lot of parts I bought. Never thought I would ever use them, but figured I would give it a shot. Old school silver numbers on blue with gold pearl. From transition submariner. As is the color change dial.

Case is mystery case from eBay. Was listed as 16800 case, but when I received it, the engravings were 16803. That is basically what motivated me to build a TT... seeing as I already had the dial and insert. It is a very good case and made for the 3035. I installed a gen tube, and genuine gold crown. Clarks crystal fit perfectly as did the gen 18K hallmarked bezel. Drawback to the case, is the cutout for the dial is 27.3mm, so I'm limited with what dial I can use. Luckily, I had the 16803/8 dial. It fits perfectly. Powered by an ETA 2824-2. I used one of my 3035 to 2824 holders and it fit perfectly, of course. :) I used a genuine rolex date disc as an overlay. It is a 3055 champagne with correct period fonts. Only problem is, the numbers sit to the left a bit.

I like it, but I don't love it, so this may only be a short term keeper. I may use the case to build a nice 16800 transition sub. I really like the case. perfect crown position, very nice engravings, accepts gen parts, nice crown guards, nice rehaut, and with my movement holder, the 2824-2 fits perfectly. no need for an unreliable 3035.

I did rush job on the pics as I only had a short window while the kids were out. I need to set up the tripod and get better light to capture the dial. The print is still crisp and clean, it is just the laquer that is all buggered. At certain angles you can't notice, but in the sunlight, the dial looks like crap. Oh, and it is flat top S. I wish it was in better condition. :( but they came as a Lot, so they were basically free when I broke it down.

I do have to say... nothing glitters like gold! And if I do end up ditching this project, I'll have a genuine 18K bezel available as well as a like-new 24-703-8 gold crown available. Since I installed the crown in this project, it is not new anymore. It was still sealed when I received it. As for the insert, I'll sell that too, but I doubt anyone here would be looking for a vintage insert... so off to the vintage forum. but the gold crown and bezel would be great for a TT franken.

"What do you think?"

Cool!

Wear it!

I like watches with scruffy dials because I can wear them in the hot summer sun with no worries...the damage has already been done.

No more turning my wrist down to shade the dial when in direct sunlight.

(am I the only Nut who does this?)

Watches with pristine gennywine dials make my head hurt. :blink:

If dials and cases sold for deuces and aces...we would all be sportin' new faces. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for the kind words. Aside from the ETA and hand set, it is a correct TT transitional sub. I doubt you will see many of these around.

Oh yes, to my surprise, the hands and pearl still glow... although quite faint, but still legible at 3:30am!

Great job T, looks like it was a fun project. I never was much of a gold guy either, until I built my TT, and then afterward found one rare gen gold piece after another and had to have them. I will admit, gold watches have a tendency to draw you in and change your mind once you have one. Good luck with it, and wear it well

JJ

PS, the next time you're in the big apple, we'll both have to wear our "color change" dials in the 5th Avenue sunlight :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very nice TT. I'm not much of a gold person either, but of any that would "do" for me it would be the TT sub.I bet this one would look good on a Blue Alligator Strap as well. If you decide to sell instead of parting it out, I might be interested.