When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much is this 100 years old VC worth?

evo5555

You are looking at a real piece of horology history from one of the Holy Trinities of Swiss Watch Making.

A 100+year old piece from Vacheron Constantin.

Original High Grade movement with Patented Regulator

in good working condition, Original Breguet style hands and Original Enamel Dial

in it's original condition with no restoration.

Based on it's serial number, this watch is made probably between 1900 -1905.

It's originally a Pocket Watch that have been re-cased into a Pilot watch case

with big Onion winding crown. Lugs are 23mm+. fits 24mm with no problem.

Horology have come a very long from a century ago, but it's classics like this, that defines it's Journey, History and Heritage. Classics will always be classics, it's style and presence will always be Timeless.

The & from Vacheron & Constantin was dropped and officially became what is known today as Vacheron Constantin in 1970.

The first boutique in Geneva was opened in 1906, which means this piece predates the boutique.

Case: Steel. 45mm without Crown. 52mm with Crown. Snap close back.

Dial: Aged Creamed Colored original Enamel Dial. Sub Dial Seconds @ 6.

Movement: Low Beat Manual Winding VC in-house manufacture with Patented Regulator. Patent Date Jan.8.1884.

Keeps very good time with about 30hours Power Reserve. This is a very sturdy movement and will only gain to benefit from a routine servicing from an experienced Watch Maker.

Strap: A 24mm used Rios Black Aliigator Style Strap will be provided. Fits the theme of the watch nicely.

It's hard to come by old pieces like these in a nice case with all it's parts intact and original. Alot of others in the market have been either Franken or have their dial restored. Worst of all, of recent years, alot of Pieces from Russia / Bulgaria are actually fakes made to look very much alike. Due to the lack of exposure and knowledge, victims have been known to pay big bucks for them. I am not an expert, but this have been authenticated by VC collectors.

L1030305.jpg

L1030306.jpg

L1030307.jpg

L1030308.jpg

L1030309.jpg

L1030310.jpg

L1030311.jpg

L1030234.jpg

L1030237.jpg

L1030238.jpg

I'm sorry but this reads very much like a sale, especially when I see lines like this....

A 24mm used Rios Black Aliigator Style Strap will be provided.

If you do want to sell this watch there are many things you need to do before you can, number one is to upgrade your account and post it in the correct section.

Ken

As KB says, if this item is for sale it belongs in the sale section.

In terms of value do a quick search under Vacheron Constantin on the bay and you will see any number of pieces with gen movements, dials and hands re-cased in a new case. The value is truly based on finding the right buyer as they sell as low as $400 and as high as $1750+ in SS. The original pocket watch would have sold for substantially more. $4k plus for SS and $7K plus in gold. I am not smart enough to know the value of a particular movement but that is not normally what determines the price. I only know this as I have watched these frankens for years and debated whether to buy one. Hope that helps.

I'm sorry but this reads very much like a sale, especially when I see lines like this....

If you do want to sell this watch there are many things you need to do before you can, number one is to upgrade your account and post it in the correct section.

Ken

im not selling.. just posting from a for sale thread that i saw to share the beautiful pics with fellow members here.. admin you are welcome to ammend my thread content if there is any part that mention for sale!.. thx..

$500,000usd.

How's that for an answer to your original question? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You might not get that much.. but if it were up to me.. i'd say that you should get paid that much for a watch like that :)

wow... u sure?? for sure i noe e guy who is selling it is asking no more than USD10000.. should i buy it as investment?? need an honest opinion from the masters here.. :)

He is jerking you around.

Watchmeister gave very sound advice. Check out ebay for similar items. 10k for a franken watch is grazy. The movement, although nice has no complication whatsoever, so it seem to me a more common caliber.

Edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vacheron-Constantin-18K-YG-Large-52mm-Pocket-Watch-/170481156495?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item27b178018f

Check it out, same caliber, gold casing BIN 7.5k

Edited by slickdick

wow... u sure?? for sure i noe e guy who is selling it is asking no more than USD10000.. should i buy it as investment?? need an honest opinion from the masters here.. :)

I was joking.. :) no way it could be worth anything near a half mil! if you get a price less than 6 or 7,000.. it might be a good watch to invest in.. but i agree with Ubi... much cooler had it been left a pocket watch :)

There is a guy here in Oz, who is doing this with all various old PW cases, many well known brands.

He has been getting between A$500 and A$1500 tops for his conversions.(dependent on brand/style/type) and appears to sell at least one each week.

A great majority of his sales are to the USA.

Can't see any value over those sorts of figures in these things.

"An item, is worth as much as the last person paid for it"

Offshore.