When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Travel Cases for watches; what'cha guys using?

ubiquitous

Hey gang,

Just curious what most of you are using for watch cases when travelling? Looking for ideas to accomodate 1 or 2 watches; max size 44mm, though the majority of my pieces are 40mm - 42mm.... Preferrably with decent, understated style/design.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

:)

Cheers,

//ubi

I use my wrist. ;)

Probably not the answer you were seeking... But I'm too paranoid to travel through airport security with much in the way of valuables.

-B

PS, you might consider one of the 2 or 3 watch leather(ette) attach

I have a two watch case from Panatime. It is sized for Panerais, so it does not fit well with smaller watches. It is also a bit bulky

The Rolex "service pouch" is a nice, slim inexpensive case for a single watch.

For more watches, I actually wrap them up in socks and put them in a small camera lens case or pouch. :) Two times I have had to unpack it in the airport x-ray machine, though..Guess it looks a bit odd.

I throw mine in rolled up socks :whistling:

Haha, That^ is what I used to do - roll one sock into a ball to fit inside watch strap like a watch box pillow, and then double fold another around whole watch. I had also been using the wooden hard case that comes with the steel Swatches (they are great for one watch travel BTW).

But now I'm using the attached, they're cheap but very good and protective. I would have bought better qual (for example i really like the orange Pam ones from Josh) but Acetimer gave me two of these for free because my watchbox order was delayed.

Even though they say for one watch only, they actually take two if placed correctly and without clashing. If I was paying for them i wouldn't complain, well built - awful colour - but only cost a tenner and i beleive they're somewhat water proof!

post-23858-127370798372_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll look into all suggested :)

Thankfully, I don't have to travel much; I'm sure my employer would like to have me travel a bit more, but it's not a requisite for me (I hate travelling for work). It would be nice to have something handy to take along when going to visit friends and relatives out of state however, and having a travel case would also be nice for bringing to GTGs when they happen.

Plus, I'm sure having a case is much easier to explain to airport security than having a watch on the wrist and another on the ankle :ph34r:

Haha, That^ is what I used to do - roll one sock into a ball to fit inside watch strap like a watch box pillow, and then double fold another around whole watch. I had also been using the wooden hard case that comes with the steel Swatches (they are great for one watch travel BTW).

But now I'm using the attached, they're cheap but very good and protective. I would have bought better qual (for example i really like the orange Pam ones from Josh) but Acetimer gave me two of these for free because my watchbox order was delayed.

Even though they say for one watch only, they actually take two if placed correctly and without clashing. If I was paying for them i wouldn't complain, well built - awful colour - but only cost a tenner and i beleive they're somewhat water proof!

haha.. It's what i usually do, but if the suitcase isn't completely packed and the contents have space to move around in their.. I'll put the watch in one of my MANY hard glasses cases. They're cheap and protect the watch well if you throw in a microfiber cloth... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

edit: Here's a couple pics. I've got a lot of cases since i wear glasses 8)

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

Felt lined - hard cover - snap hinged - Armani eyeglass case.

Holds two watches easily, wrapped in soft cloth eyeglass wipe.

Used this method for years, the hard cover hinged case works really well.

On the other hand some of the custom cases shown here are very nice, especially the Orbita.

Smartwool socks. Roll 'em up with the watch inside, chuck 'em in the backpack, that goes in the overhead compartment. No worries. Never EVER put a good watch in checked luggage.

Checked baggage?! The only person in my family that checks in baggage is Mrs. Ubi. But that's only cause she has a ton of stuff that she can't live without while away from home.

No, no... I definitely need something small enough to carry on.

I'm thinking Scatola del Tempo is looking quite nice...

While quite effective in keeping one's timepieces safe and secure, I'm probably not going to be heading into any major war zones anytime soon; I dunno that I need anything to that level of severity, vly :)

Plus, I'd hate for TSA to think it was a bomb or something. Especially with a ticking mechanical watch inside. It already looks military/weapon-ish as-is... I'm sure they'd have me on their radar carrying something like that around.

Felt lined - hard cover - snap hinged - Armani eyeglass case.

Holds two watches easily, wrapped in soft cloth eyeglass wipe.

Used this method for years, the hard cover hinged case works really well.

On the other hand some of the custom cases shown here are very nice, especially the Orbita.

You stole my idea! (see above :whistling: )

I don't think it matters whether it's armani or not.. most glasses labs will give you their generic brand cases for next to free if you ever need one. As you can see in my above post.. my dssd and Blacksteel are quite at home in a generic "VisionLabs" case... (when traveling i also wrap a couple microfiber cloths around'em ;) )

Plus, I'm sure having a case is much easier to explain to airport security than having a watch on the wrist and another on the ankle :ph34r:

I like the Ankle idea. I can just picture TSA's reaction. It wouldn't work for me though, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) my ankles are nowhere near the size of my wrists :)

• 2 weeks later...