When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Fantasy Clasp is real after all!

alligoat

I have an old DRSD from Paul and it has an unusual clasp

W632-51.jpg

Freddy and I had pretty much concluded that it was a fantasy clasp.

However, I ran across the clasp on VFR last nite, on an old 7206 w/ 80 end pieces and a 5513

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1274304790/Unusual+5513+Submariner+with+special+bracelet......

So it just goes to show, you never know what Rolex is going to do! These were some special watches, so hence, the special clasp!

5513natationgeneva1.jpg

What you need to do to really confirm the story is fly off to Geneva and track down the rest of that water polo team!

LOL, You realize those guys are pretty old these days, LH! I'd love to visit Geneva though!

I may also put the clasp back on say my 5513, what the heck!

It's funny, when I first saw the modern oyster clasp a few years back, I wasn't keen on the pattern to blend with the links of the bracelet, but now, it looks funny to see a clasp without them :lol: Fascinating origin behind the clasp's release, cool bananas indeed :victory:

PS: I have a couple of these (rep) if anyone might be interested.

How much might you be wanting for one?

Alli - A similar watch popped up on VRF early last year & the clasp (not the watch) was concluded to be a knockoff. While I am firmly in the 'never say never with Rolex' camp, eventually, just about every oddity like this gets found in a Rolex publication of some kind. To date, I have yet to see a clasp like this listed in any Rolex product catalog, parts list or service manual, which, while not conclusive proof of fakery, leaves me much less than convinced as to the clasp's authenticity.

Alli - A similar watch popped up on VRF early last year & the clasp (not the watch) was concluded to be a knockoff. While I am firmly in the 'never say never with Rolex' camp, eventually, just about every oddity like this gets found in a Rolex publication of some kind. To date, I have yet to see a clasp like this listed in any Rolex product catalog, parts list or service manual, which, while not conclusive proof of fakery, leaves me much less than convinced as to the clasp's authenticity.

If the clasp was some kind of prototype, and only fitted on literally a handful of custom-issued watches, would it show up under regular inventory? :g::pardon: I'm just wondering, if maybe it was a prototype part of which only a few were made and fitted on those water polo team watches, and when those watches were returned for servicing, as per Rolex SOP, might the clasps then been replaced with standard oyster clasps (assuming there were no other of that clasp produced beyond the original run)? I'm just thinking of reasons why the part has never been listed in catalogues, yet still have been produced initially :)

If the clasp was some kind of prototype, and only fitted on literally a handful of custom-issued watches, would it show up under regular inventory?

This is the reason most often cited when something Rolex-related pops up with questionable provenance. Of course, anything is possible, but, based on what I have seen so far, I remain unconvinced. Though, for what it is worth, I hope I am wrong & the clasp is gen, because it is a beauty.

This is the reason most often cited when something Rolex-related pops up with questionable provenance. Of course, anything is possible, but, based on what I have seen so far, I remain unconvinced. Though, for what it is worth, I hope I am wrong & the clasp is gen, because it is a beauty.

Looking at the photos on the other site, I'm really in two minds as to the legitimacy of it... On the one hand, the watch does seem to be of the correct age, but on the other hand, I know that it is possible to artificially age a watch to a similar appearance... It's the caseback engravings that I'm most curious about, given how the numbers appear more worn away towards one edge, rather than in the middle, which I would have thought would have had the most wrist contact over the years... :pardon:

As you say though, could this simply be a fabricated story, similar to the Rolex/Tudor marine prototypes, or, even if the history is accurate, maybe the watches given were only standard issue Rolex, rather than custom and someone has merely usurped the story to qualify the clasp... :pardon: So many inconsistent practices in Rolex history, such as replacing some parts, using up spares and changing details mid-production run, allowing watches issued to people 'for evaluation' to retain original parts etc, this may well be a mystery which is never solved :whistling:

I really kinda like the clasp, fantasy or not. Very cool.

In everyone's research, were there any parallels as to what series of bracelets they have showed up on? 7xxx series, 93xx(x) series?

TeeJay - I only question the credulity of the clasp. The watch, as it is, looks ok. That said, often, where there is smoke......

Exactly... The engraving on the caseback might well be kosher, but I do wonder if it has undergone artificial aging by someone who is really skilled at it, maybe that's just because I'm looking for flaws due to suspicion about other things... The one thing about the clasp which doesn't seem quite right to me, is that there is no 'nail indent' under the safety clasp for easy operation, although maybe Rolex didn't initially consider that detail, until the now-familiar oyster clasps :pardon: I think this may be one of those things which is never truly known... :)

From the VRF post - interesting:

Boxfish

Rolex did produce this clasp...

...for the legendary Single Red Sea Dweller, and should come with the rivetted 7206 bracelet originally.

The most plausible thing I can think of.

The most plausible thing I can think of.

+1

I think this clasp and bracelet are fine. The fact that it's a 7206, which we see few of, with a '69 date stamp looks good to me.

Furthermore, 9315's did not have an indentation under the safety clasp- that was a later feature of the 93150's.

i have infact seen this clasp in real life on a 1665... i cant remember if it was a comex or a double red... i dont think it was on a single red but might have been.. it was a long time ago, before Paul was selling his. I remember reading something about this clasp years and years ago on the old TURF forum also. This style clasp was definately produced by Rolex but in very limited numbers. James Dowling on Time Zone would be the guy to ask about this one maybe

Edit - aahhhh YES the Japanese rolex book.. thats another place i saw it.

PS: I have a couple of these (rep) if anyone might be interested.

I am unable to PM anyone for some reason but i am interested if you have an extra one laying around. I would maybe use it on my 5514 Comex project.

@ Alligoat, did you ever make a srsd out of your thin cased 1665???

No, Chi, I'm kinda in a holding pattern right now. I built the GWSD and that's been about it lately. I'm wearing that watch quite a bit and enjoying it. But for $65 plus s&h, I guess I should certainly give ETZ a shout and see if maybe I could get something going. I do find the DRSD is a little too rich for my blood- even if it is a rep, but maybe the SRSD would do the trick.