When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Argument Against Rolex Watches

fulanito_uk

It may all be true, though I doubt it, however it makes no difference whatsoever. And he is sort of ignoring Rolex history. The truth is that the reputation of Rolex is such that people will always buy them, certainly for the forseeable future. Every product has its knockers (even women so I'm told :D ) who are keen to knock the product on the basis of value and logic. But people do not purchase using logic, if they did we'd all be running around in small Korean cars being they are the best value currently, personally I'll keep my Mercedes thanks, and we'd all drink nothing but water, who could possibly want anything more, water is the most effective way of dealing with thirst which is the reason for drinking! Etc, etc, ad nauseam.

I'll stick to my liking for Rolex, though maybe that's because I'm a overweight white man, seen no more than sixteen hours ago coming off the golf course :D :D Hmmm, maybe he has something..........................

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I do not collect ROLEX replicas myself....I guess partly because they are all over the place and partly because of the signals I would be giving others by wearing it....great watches, in house movements is a big big pluss, easily recognizable too and perfect for the business oriented mann but just not ny cup of tea....VC, IWC, OMEGA, CHOPARD, FM, JLC, Glasshutte, Longines and others are on my list of wanted watches

I ve grown very fond of Vintage Rolexes over the last few years. They are a classic design and therefore wearing something from the 50s, 60s or 70s still look great today in my eyes. And adding to that the older and more worn these pieces look, the more attractive in my eyes they are.

I ve grown very fond of Vintage Rolexes over the last few years. They are a classic design and therefore wearing something from the 50s, 60s or 70s still look great today in my eyes. And adding to that the older and more worn these pieces look, the more attractive in my eyes they are.

Yes! I agree with you on that :group:

I totally agree here, I don't own any modern watches. My Franken DJ's for example are dated 1979 and 1984 from the serial numbers on the (gen) cases. It's gotta have an acrylic crystal for me, none of your modern saphire nonsense!

You can't please everyone all the time. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The reality is that Rolex sells a multiple of everyone else in the $4,000 plus category. At some level they are positioned as entry level luxury and they have done a wonderful job. They must be doing something right. But why do I think the writer can't afford one. :lol:

True.. but one of the guy's main points is that rolex hasn't done anything new or come out with anyting remotely different in the last 50 years.. I'm not saying that the DSSD breaks the mold completely.. but damn.. it's not your typical sea-dweller OR submariner for that matter.. In my opinoin rolex really went out on a limb with a design like that.. but look at the commotion it caused after it's release! :whistling:

True.. but one of the guy's main points is that rolex hasn't done anything new or come out with anyting remotely different in the last 50 years.. I'm not saying that the DSSD breaks the mold completely.. but damn.. it's not your typical sea-dweller OR submariner for that matter.. In my opinoin rolex really went out on a limb with a design like that.. but look at the commotion it caused after it's release! :whistling:

I think Rolex have it pegged right, they go for the traditional market, not cutting edge stuff except in dive watch design which shows constant improvement. The DSSD was a mistake in my opinion, it looks cobbled together, we'll use an old dial blank, just make the rehaut and the bezel a lot wider, ugly in my eyes.

At least Rolex don't dress up a pocket watch manual movement with fancy bridges and charge a fortune for it.........................

Suffice it to say.. I generally agree with the whole post. I own 3.. but I don't wear any of them enough(besides the dssd :) ) sadly because they have the name.. "rolex" written on their dials. The one real thing that sets rolex apart from everyone else is their name. Instantly you say the name rolex.. and automatically someone gets a mental image. This works both FOR and against rolex. It must be admitted that 85% of people don't by a rolex for their designs.. The designs.. (albeit original) have not changed for the most part during the last half century and many mid-range companies make watches with almost exact specifications to rolex for half the price and just as good quality.. There's something about having the name ROLEX written on your watch that does something to all of us psychologically...

There are some great sterile GMTs on ebay - I've got the white and black face versions and I really like the size and the fact they just sort of disappear on the wrist, you don't even feel like you're wearing one!

I can entirely see why they sell well, they just seem 'right', but I agree that the name works both for and against it.

I live in a small town where pretty much nobody knows watches. I wear my SS Sub often and it goes unnoticed. I spoke in front of a room full of people tonight; nobody noticed what I was wearing. Ive had one person recognise my Rolex in the last year and make a comment about it. (Which was a nice one because he liked watches and was wearing a Tudor Oyster Prince)

About three months ago a lady at a chemist saw my watch and said to me Gee I like your watch. That is a really nice looking watch for a man. When I gave her a look at it she noticed the small Rolex printed on the dial and only then did she realise what brand it was.

I like my Sub for that very reason. It's a simple, clean and quite masculine design It is most certianly not a flashy or showy piece. Some watch enthusiasts cant see the forest for the trees.

Edited by Greystash

I don't care much subjective articles like that, far less when there are factual mistakes involved.

No watch company "submitted" its watch for NASA testing, they were unmodified stock versions bought in jewelery stores. That's actually a thing particularly interesting about Omega's Speedmaster, because it passed all the severe beatings nevertheless. I'm not sure about the Hillary story either, supposedly he wrote this letter to Rolex or Rolex aswell, who knows (or cares)? For what it's worth he could have carried a 0,50$ gift watch underneath his suit and it still would have worked fine up there. :D

Rolex watches are pure design classics. They don't need to be flashy or innovative in any way and yes they are overpriced but so is every high-end watch. The movements are fine you won't notice any difference to a standard ETA in a 1000$ watch or another company's in-House movement under normal conditions.

Since I started collecting watches I noticed one thing - nobody cares for your watch. No matter what brand you are wearing, nobody notices - except for other watch enthusiasts. In the end it comes down to subjective taste, to each his own.

Gee...I hope the guy doesn't mind me having mine. I have 22 watches, but mostly wear these. My TAG SE/L has an honored place in my watch box, but...I don't know maybe I should sell these for cheap. No...think I'll keep them. I'm 64 years old and I think these will see me on out of here.

100_2607-resized.jpg

100_2605-resized.jpg

100_2305.jpg

WatchKnifeGun.jpg

DialSlant.jpg

Opinionated people that want everyone else to see the world the way they do are part of what's wrong with civilization.

I never like Rolex's for many of the reasons outlined in the original post, but...

My Dad buys new a Quartz Rolex every time he's in Mexico (at least once a year). I was tired of him wearing such cr@ppy replicas, so I bought him a nice GMT Master II. Turns out, he just likes cheap watches and preferred my (unworn) Casio over the Rolex. With a GMT II sitting one my shelf, I decided I'd try it out. I have to say, that I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It fits well, and looks nice. It doesn't get as much wrist time as my Breitlings, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Well...that round of golf really tired me out... time for my nap.

Suffice it to say.. I generally agree with the whole post. I own 3.. but I don't wear any of them enough(besides the dssd :) ) sadly because they have the name.. "rolex" written on their dials. The one real thing that sets rolex apart from everyone else is their name. Instantly you say the name rolex.. and automatically someone gets a mental image. This works both FOR and against rolex. It must be admitted that 85% of people don't by a rolex for their designs.. The designs.. (albeit original) have not changed for the most part during the last half century and many mid-range companies make watches with almost exact specifications to rolex for half the price and just as good quality.. There's something about having the name ROLEX written on your watch that does something to all of us psychologically...

+1

Given my brief period of collecting, I've gone from Rolex, to Omega, to Panerai, and back to Rolex, or rather, Tudor, again. As watches, they fit the niche of my requirements, but I agree absolutely about the point of them having 'Rolex' on the dial. That is what I like about Tudor: All the design heritage, and none of the less flattering perceptions/misconceptions that 'the R Word' conveys to others. I think I realized this most the other day when I decided to abort my Daytona project, and instead build a Tudor chronograph instead, even though it's going to cost me twice as much (both movement and dial, rather than just a new movement) simply so it won't be 'a Rolex' when it's finished. :whistling:

I just want to call "Bull-Shit" on the accuracy comments from the article.

COSC is COSC, and all Rolexes made today are COSC....

Ohhh, and my Gen '74 1603 w/1575 movement, after its recent service is back/still keeping COSC.

Perspectives are merely of one's own, and although the relation of the brand Rolex with the status quo it has landed establishes a fair bit, but it does not represent everyone wearing a Rolex.

A being (in that of a human) feels differently, and individually when a "brand" is strapped onto one's wrists.

Who is to say that an AP, or Hublot is more up-market than a Rolex, just because of the more endowed-fashionista'ish hexagonal designs deviates from the regular circular dimensions?

You perhaps - an AP or Hublot lover - one who has attached the likes, the satisfaction from wearing one.

I wear my Rolexes with pride, and although the general population feels that its an Old Man's watch, out of fashion, too common and an infinite number of reasons to bash, and to evade the brand, it don't diminish my sensations a single bit.

Bearing in mind, I gravitate myself around the likes of friends and collectors who appreciates Rolex, not only as a brand but of an Art - a progressive love affair that only elevates with every beating second.

Art is Subjective, just as Rolex or AP or Hublot, and other established brands.

Spoiled for Choices we all are, Exposed to different Brands this reality will always be.

Passion for a brand comes and goes, this is how this world has been marketed to machined us this way - love it or hate it, we (as consumers) often leap from brands to brands - from clothings, bags, wallets, sunglasses, CARS...the list goes on and on....

Bashing a brand is of one's eyes and pulsations...I've read enough to filter out argumentative bullocks which don't assimilate with my perspectives.

If you haven't read enough to rattle on about the richness of Rolex's history, you don't know the brand enough to make any argumentative statements based on social perspectives - it will just make you look like a Fox's anus out of a Winter-Wonderland.

There's a reason why Rolex sells...I don't claim to say I love all the models coming right out of Bern, but enough Vintages to keep me craving for more...and more....

Edited by Pre V

I have had watches from many brands - I am referring to gens of course - and while I am not a particular fan of Rolex I have to admit that a lot of the things mentioned as negative by fulanito_uk are part of why they are so successful.

I believe that some watch brands fail because they don't have a watch like the Submariner or other watches that have no design that instantaneously makes you recognize the brand - like a Omega Speedmaster, AP Royal Oak, just to name a few - I actually like the fact that they are not trying to pump out new designs all the time. The movements, while not as refined as AP, Patek, Breguet etc. are certainly reliable workhorses that are next to indestructible even in the long run, partly because of their ruggedness vs. refinement and beauty or in this case lack thereof.

It is a little like with the Porsche 911 - maybe not a beauty like some of the Lamborghinis and Ferraris - but definitely more reliable and identifiable - and for me at least that is a big part of the intrigue of a brand.

All I want to know however from the OP is who the girl is in his Avatar :p:p